Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Still Rules U.S. Movie Download Market

Default Apple Still Rules U.S. Movie Download Market

IHS iSuppli, a market research firm, released new data on the U.S. Movie Download market yesterday. The report shows that Apple and iTunes is still very much on top compared to other companies and other digital stores.

The news is not all perfect, however, as there seems to be more consumers who are considering using other stores other than Apple's iTunes for movie downloads. Apple's numbers are down from just a year ago. In 2009, 74.4% of consumers chose to purchase their movies from iTunes, while in 2010, it seems that number shrunk to 64.% of customers. This is still a strong majority, and light years ahead of Microsoft, the next closest competitor. Microsoft only held 17.9% of the market share, yet that was up from just 11.6% a year ago.

Sony has the only digital store with significant market share, now holding 7.2% of the market, up slightly from 5.7% a year ago. Other companies make up for the remaining 10.4% in 2010.

iSuppli adds that iTunes "showed remarkable competitive resilience last year… staving off a growing field of tough challengers." They also note that the movie download market grew significantly in 2010, which could attributed to straing Microsoft Xbox sales, 2nd Generation Apple TV sales, and the expansion of Wal-Mart's Vudu service.

One final note, the report omitted the popular streaming service Netflix, on the grounds that it offered subscription-based movie streaming, rather than the pay-per-view model that the other companies utilize.

Source:
    MacRumors
    iSuppli Report
    image: iSuppli

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

This really isn't that surprising, Although maybe they should get the numbers from Torrent sites ... Then who would rule the market !!!

Thanks

i'm sure netflix has a higher market share.

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzlocal View Post
    This really isn't that surprising, Although maybe they should get the numbers from Torrent sites ... Then who would rule the market !!!
    Damn straight.

vudu is the best 1080p the quality is the same as bluray it's that good on my ps3

Quote Originally Posted by hoekapika View Post
    vudu is the best 1080p the quality is the same as bluray it's that good on my ps3
    I agree

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzlocal View Post
    Cough(demonoid)cough. 
    Neo Style by k.nitsua....early front runner for THEME OF THE YEAR

Now in a dead heat with liveOS c/o bluemetal....

Let us all welcome the newest fighter to the TOTY ring...iNavHD c/o reeco

?? On vudu is the movie purchased to own or rent, or both?

Quote Originally Posted by glassJAw View Post
    ?? On vudu is the movie purchased to own or rent, or both?
    both

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hoekapika For This Useful Post:

glassJAw (02-08-2011)

I think I will be trying Vudu. I've been downloading and usign PS3 Media Center to stream it to my PS3 (which does a great job actually), but frankly, most of the movies are downloaded from certain sites. Only a few I actually like and want to keep which I do buy, the rest just get deleted. Some I don't even watch the whole thing. I'd be more than happy to rent from Vudu.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSZ33 View Post
    i'm sure netflix has a higher market share.
    You would think. but i think they might mean boughten movies, and categorize Netflix with something else
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoekapika View Post
    I love using Vudu, it's the best!

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I love using Vudu, it's the best!
    I've honestly never heard if vudu before it being mentioned I'm this article. Is it just a site or is there hardware involved? Really better than Netflix? Compatible with 360?
    Neo Style by k.nitsua....early front runner for THEME OF THE YEAR

Now in a dead heat with liveOS c/o bluemetal....

Let us all welcome the newest fighter to the TOTY ring...iNavHD c/o reeco

Quote Originally Posted by creasy425 View Post
    I've honestly never heard if vudu before it being mentioned I'm this article. Is it just a site or is there hardware involved? Really better than Netflix? Compatible with 360?
    I've never seen it on 360 but I've never looked either. It's on my blue-ray player as a extra perk. :P

I've not watched a movie yet but it seems pretty sweet.... It offers me 1 free movie (I guess that's like Netflix first month free) haha :P

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by creasy425 View Post
    I have it as an App on my Magnavox Blu-Ray Player. You just setup an account online and activate your player, then you can stream all the movies you want! You add a credit card to your account and you get charged per movie. It's decent prices considering the quality your getting.

I wouldn't really think of it as a Netflix program, you don't pay per month, just per movie. It has the largest 1080p movie library that you can stream online.
    Here's the site.
    Last edited by steve-z17; 02-08-2011 at 11:41 PM.