+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MMi at Macworld: Convert Mini DisplayPort into HDMI with Kanex iAdapt

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default MMi at Macworld: Convert Mini DisplayPort into HDMI with Kanex iAdapt

If you’re tired of watching internet video on a MacBook screen and wished there was an easy way to connect it to your HDTV, well now you can. Simply plug the Kanex iAdapt into your Mac’s Mini DisplayPort, then connect an HDMI male-to-male cable from your iAdapt to your HDTV and you’re good to go. You may have to adjust the Display settings under the System Preferences to get your Mac to mirror both screens, but then you can start watching Alf reruns on Hulu all day long.

MacBooks are capable of displaying video on today’s flat panel televisions, but Apple doesn’t equip them with industry standard HDMI ports. Many PC laptops sold today come with HDMI ports as standard equipment. Until Apple decides to catch up with the rest of the industry, products like the iApapt will be necessary to output video to an HDTV.

The iApapt “Supports audio and video passthrough for April 2010 MacBook/April 2010 MacBook Pro and all 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac desktop computers.” It also supports full 1080p HD video with sound. Using this little device, you won’t have to carry around a separate audio cable to hear sound with your movies any more. It’s available now for $29.

Source: Kanex

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Not a bad price.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ForumSnoBorderRK's Avatar
    Thanks

wow......WHAT?! Kanex was selling an adaption kit like this for $150 before and I was about to buy it....... im so confused because Belkin has an adapter kit, and so does this other company, all marketed at about $150.

now this one comes in at only $29?! I have no idea how thats possible
    -[r]
    if you can, please [thank] me if i helped you or you liked what i said! :]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That's not a bad price but it's still not a complete one cord to connect macbook to a lcd tv. I bought this cord off ebay, thats a full mini display port to hdmi cord and it transfers audio to the newer macs to. I have an older Mavbook pro, and i had to buy a separate audio cord from Radioshack, a y cord and it works perfectly fine and the Quality is so great!
    The cords cheap to like about 13 bucks?
    Here's the link
    6ft Mini Display Port to HDMI Adapter F Mac Pro w/Audio - eBay (item 280517455102 end time Mar-03-11 08:06:22 PST)

The only downside is that the cords 6 ft so you can't be at to much of a distance, but it's great for watching movies.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does anyone know if there is a cable to connect apple tv 2 to an old tv without Hdmi? Thanks

Thanks

I mistakenly bought one of these for my MacBook Pro, only to realize that it (mid 2009) did not support the audio over DisplayPort. I returned it and got an iAdapt 51, which works great, but I have to plug it into three(!!!!) ports instead of one: DisplayPort, headphone jack, and USB (to power it).

Thanks

That looks like a good deal, if I had a Mac I would defiantly look into it
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

that adapter looks kinda bulky i like this 1 better Moshi Mini DP to HDMI Adapter with Audio Support - Apple Store (U.S.)
    Last edited by fmlouder; 02-05-2011 at 08:29 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

yet another reason why I would never buy an Apple laptop., they cost more than twice as much as windows laptops and lack features.....just like the iphone and ipad compared to other products.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I bought my Mini DP to HDMI for $5-7 online and it works great! I guess it's all about the brand you buy. I have to use a separate audio cable but that's no hassle I had one laying around.

Cheapest route: Monoprice Mini DP into HDMI and Audio Cable $10!
    Last edited by steve-z17; 02-05-2011 at 08:43 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ticko's Avatar
    Thanks

You guys are crazy I bought one a year ago for 15 bucks and it does audio/video also even though my mbp can't do the audio 29 dollars is an absurd price I have seen them for 6 on the net

@jongarret wheres the finger gestures on your win laptop or your led screen talking about missing features those are two of the biggest ones I would miss

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhoenix3g's Avatar
    Thanks

sign me up! i want one! lol

Thanks

Or get this one on Amazon (I use it, it's great) and get a DV-I adapter too. Griffin Technology: Video Display Converter - Convert Mini DisplayPort output to HDMI or DVI video

Twitter: @tshoults

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Two comments: Display Port is the industry standard now, not HDMI. This is because computer manufacturers don't need to pay the royalties that they do for HDMI. Secondly, mini DP to HDMI converters (that support audio) can be found online for just a few bucks. I just bought one for a friend that also included an HDMI cable for a total of $7.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chinapaulo View Post
    Two comments: Display Port is the industry standard now, not HDMI. This is because computer manufacturers don't need to pay the royalties that they do for HDMI. Secondly, mini DP to HDMI converters (that support audio) can be found online for just a few bucks. I just bought one for a friend that also included an HDMI cable for a total of $7.
    I bought one that said it worked for audio, and it didn't. So I said "screw it" an bought a griffin one with DV-I too/

Twitter: @tshoults

h2a
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    yet another reason why I would never buy an Apple laptop., they cost more than twice as much as windows laptops and lack features.....just like the iphone and ipad compared to other products.
    Quality vs quantity.

If apple made big fat laptops with vga ports and vents on the bottom and a battery that sticks out like a ghetto booty like Dell so they could fit all that extra crap into them I would never buy another apple product.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to h2a For This Useful Post:

NSXrebel (02-05-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h2a View Post
    Quality vs quantity.

If apple made big fat laptops with vga ports and vents on the bottom and a battery that sticks out like a ghetto booty like Dell so they could fit all that extra crap into them I would never buy another apple product.
    Amen Brother!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is awesome for the price. Too bad I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro

Green Apple
    Thanks

What about and early 2010 24" iMac? Will it output audio via mini display port/HDMI?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

so cool! audio/video compatible! im gonna try it!