Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple May Produce 50-inch Connected Television Sets Beginning Next Year

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Apple May Produce 50-inch Connected Television Sets Beginning Next Year

A provocative report from investment firm Piper Jaffray suggests that Apple may finally be gearing up to introduce an entirely new product as soon as 2012. According to the suspicions of Piper and prominent analyst Gene Munster, Apple will likely use its recent $3.9 billion in component investments to develop large screen displays, probably for a connected Apple television set of at least 50-inches.

"While Apple's commitment to the living room remains a 'hobby,' we continue to believe the company will enter the TV market with a full focus, as an all-in-one Apple television could move the needle when connected TVs proliferate," Munster says, adding that Apple is believed to be eager to jump into the red hot flat panel television market. As coverage from Barron's added, Apple's TV would more than likely also be a window into a “cloud-based version of iTunes."

Muster suggests that as many as 220 million flat-screen TVs will be sold next year alone, half of which are likely to be Internet-connected. If Munster's theories prove correct, Apple has a good shot at selling better than one million units in 2012, a development that would bolster the company's revenue by some $2.5 billion. Long term, Munster believes Apple's growing appetite for television sets will result in $4 billion in added revenue by 2013, and $6 billion by 2014.

Barron's
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 02-03-2011 at 12:45 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

ashrafkhalifa (02-03-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Awesome, I'd definitely buy one.

So, this will be a TV in which Steve controls what you see too? Pass.

unless they made a 55" LED, and it was thinner than a half an inch... i wouldnt buy one...

happy with my tv and apple TV...no need to cram it into an overpriced apple bundle...

and it doesn't look like you can mount it on a wall..
    Last edited by LittleJob; 02-03-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Wonder who would make the panels. If they were good sets ild be in but at that size you want plasma and alot of people may shun it for that reason.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think this would actually happen. It's not revolutionary enough for Apple... I mean... Meh. I dunno. But I don't want one.

Munster has been wrong so many times I can't believe he still has a job. He couldn't predict hitting water if you told him you were gonna fall out of a boat.

Apple aren't revolutionist's they're evoloutionists. They didn't invent the smartphone just evolved it. Same as iPad. Apple are stopping they're business sector with xserv's being end of life and no more osx server. Why not push into the consumer range more. 1 set no wires, nice neat and simple home entertainment evolved...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Loxs For This Useful Post:

Lombardo Joe (02-03-2011)

I'd buy one

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loxs View Post
    Wonder who would make the panels. If they were good sets ild be in but at that size you want plasma and alot of people may shun it for that reason.
    Idk what you're smokin, but plasma is 100% sub-par burn-in having poopoo. There's a reason 50" 1080p 120Hz plasmas are selling for $600. Because at any size, they blow. Hard.

Now for you, Apple. I'm sure those figures are just made up trash by some dude on the internets, so I won't put too much stock in his wild fanboi induced fantasy. But $2k? Hahahaha. It'd better come with a check for $800. I don't care what web capabilities it has, $2000 is way outta control. That's the price of a 55 inch web enabled, MiFi enabled LED 3D TV. And big box retailers will probably bundle a bluray player or a PS3. I mean, has this guy been under a rock for the last 18 months?

I don't doubt Apple will release a severely under featured overpriced "elite" TV and fanbois will gobble em up, but as for them actually being a player in this arena, nope. And Idk why his figures have a console under the "other" TV, as if Apple's AppStore has ANYTHING that could come close to replacing XBOX and PS offerings. They don't today, and they won't next year. There's a difference between Angry Birds at the dentist, and an 8 hour Black Ops beastfest.

IMO, they have zero to offer the TV experience. Want in people's living rooms, selling a monthly subscription? Stick to your $100 Apple TV2. Apple'll do good to compete with Netflix with THAT. A $2000 iTunes enabled TV? Hahaha, no.
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

Everybody is already complaining that the TV would be overpriced. Ok look at the high end TVs right now. Samsung came out with a new high end series that look stunning and are incredibly thin, but very expensive. You know Apple uses the best materials and would compete with other high end brands. If you don't feel like paying more for a lot nicer TV with more features and better picture that's fine, but don't complain to those who do.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

What's this itunes tv pass for $50-90 a month? That better allow me to download (and keep) any and all TV episodes I want under that one month time frame. Otherwise it is WAYYYYYYYYYYY overpriced. Or, an acceptable alternative would be to allow me to stream all the live TV I current pay for, thus enabling me to drop my current cable package. Even still, I am sure this package would be limited to the set itself and not be usable on non-Apple tvs.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 02-03-2011 at 01:57 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Not gonna happen...

If it did, who would pay for an over priced TV that would only have content Apple allows? I wonder if it displays full HD, unlike their already revolutionary service.
    ($2000 for a 50" btw? Surely thats 3D too)

Also, why is the image comparing a setup with an audio receiver, games console, blu-ray player and dvr to a setup thats just a TV with Apple TV built in?
    Will an all in one Apple TV play blu-ray? Probably not.
    Will it play non-iOS games?No
    Will it allow you to record regular non-Apple TV stuff? probably not
    Will it be ready to hook up to you're surround sound speakers? Probably not.

Piper Jaffray should only be comparing $1,199 LCD TV + $85/month with $1,999 + $50-$90/month
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 02-03-2011 at 02:33 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loxs View Post
    Apple aren't revolutionist's they're evoloutionists. They didn't invent the smartphone just evolved it. Same as iPad. Apple are stopping they're business sector with xserv's being end of life and no more osx server. Why not push into the consumer range more. 1 set no wires, nice neat and simple home entertainment evolved...
    YOU, sir... Have changed my point of view.

I knew it Apple will make televioson in future...but I'm surprised to here'd this news this early, "may steve jobs don't like to watch tv in other branded" ?????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoso10 View Post
    Everybody is already complaining that the TV would be overpriced. Ok look at the high end TVs right now. Samsung came out with a new high end series that look stunning and are incredibly thin, but very expensive. You know Apple uses the best materials and would compete with other high end brands. If you don't feel like paying more for a lot nicer TV with more features and better picture that's fine, but don't complain to those who do.
    50" Samsung LED 1080p 120Hz web enabled, MiWi....$1499. Erm, no. No I don't see where the other $500 is coming from, especially if it'll be next year at which time the Samsung will be closer to $1000.

What "revolutionary" "premium" materials will Apple use? Bulletproof helicopter glass? Recycled aluminum case? Green guts? My guess? Nothing that will remotely affect viewing quality.

The only TVs busting the $2000 level today are FULL featured 3D sets. Having Apple's Netflix equivalent built in (like thats an awesome feature, seriously my toaster has Netflix) will not convince anyone but the most epic of fanbois to purchase.

My guess is Apple is smart. They stay in the peripherals market.
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

I could see this making sense, I've always thought the Apple TV should be a real tv
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool... 1080-Retna... lol Only thing is TVs are not like computers. People will not want the traditional price of Apple. They will have to sell it at competitive prices.

This has the potential to go places where TV hasn't gone before. Its going to be interesting. Hope they get it right and affordable...

For how much? $5,000? Control what channel you see. God forbid a tv station mentions flash!

Just I giant iMac?
    My Devices:

iPod Touch 4g 4.1 - Jailbroken
    iPad 4.2.1 - Jailbroken

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast