Results 1 to 15 of 15

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: And The Oscar Goes To... iTunes

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,820
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

    Default And The Oscar Goes To... iTunes


    Gone are the days in Hollywood when major film studios and production companies would use the good old postal system to ship DVDs of Oscar nominated films to Academy voters. These days, studio executives and Hollywood's promotional titans are capitalizing on the accessibility of iTunes to deliver nominated films to Academy and Screen Actors Guild voters.

    As the LA Times reported this week, tens of thousands of DVDs of movies - those that are still playing in theaters - "are sent by Hollywood studios to Oscar, Golden Globe and other awards voters." That process, however, is in the midst of drastic change. And this year's Academy Awards ceremony reflects exactly that.

    With concerns over film piracy at a fever pitch, Hollywood at large is hoping to dramatically reduce the number of films that are illegally copied, bootlegged, or wrongfully shared and distributed online - a phenomenon that industry analysts say continues to negatively impact theater-ticket and DVD sales.

    Ahead of the Screen Actors Guild awards on Sunday, Fox Searchlight this month became the first studio to have nearly 100,000 SAG voters view new movies such as "Black Swan" through a free download from Apple Inc.'s iTunes store. Paramount Pictures, Focus Features and other studios did the same later with movies such as "The Fighter" and "The Kids Are All Right." In all cases, downloads are set to expire 24 hours after being viewed and are not available to the public.
    According to the LA Times report, studios may print warnings - or outright legal threats - on the custom movies that "instruct viewers to destroy the DVDs and not distribute them," but such warnings are rarely heeded - at least not before the flicks get "passed around to family and friends." As a result, Sony Pictures' chief technology officer, Mitch Singer, says his studio - a major one at that - will be among many this year to wind down the use of "physical screeners." iTunes will be the alternative.

    LA Times

  2. #2
    yep i just watched black swan from iTunes because of sag

  3. #3
    Retired Moderator StealthBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    TX  Follow me @StealthBravo
    Posts
    32,477
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

    I didnt even know they were offering these. Too late now

  4. #4
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,263
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 146 Times in 124 Posts

    Wish I would have known about this earlier!

  5. #5
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,441
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 185 Times in 145 Posts

    I love Oscar season. All the good movies are available before they hit Cinemas in Ireland.
    I run a Cinema so I wouldn't pay to watch movies anywho

    The iTunes screeners are pirated too, and are 720p rather that dvdrips
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 01-29-2011 at 06:34 AM.

  6. #6
    Wouldn't this make them easier for more people to get?

  7. #7
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Miami. Fl.
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    What a bunch of paranoid idiots.

  8. #8
    Oopppss.... Missed.

  9. #9
    My iPhone is a Part of Me se23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London uk
    Posts
    846
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 60 Times in 52 Posts

    With concerns over film piracy at a fever pitch, Hollywood at large is hoping to dramatically reduce the number of films that are illegally copied, bootlegged, or wrongfully shared and distributed online - a phenomenon that industry analysts say continues to negatively impact theater-ticket and DVD sales.


    NO its the price of a Cinema ticket that does that! Nearly 30 to watch Narnia with two children under 5! I walked out the cinema mate!

  10. #10
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,441
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 185 Times in 145 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by se23 View Post
    NO its the price of a Cinema ticket that does that! Nearly 30 to watch Narnia with two children under 5! I walked out the cinema mate!
    Was that 3D by any chance?
    It's more the film studios fault for the rising prices. They are progressively upping the percentage of the ticket price that they take. They average at taking 50% of the ticket price, many are moving to 55% and 60%. Fox took 70% for the first two weeks of Avatar.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Was that 3D by any chance?
    It's more the film studios fault for the rising prices. They are progressively upping the percentage of the ticket price that they take. They average at taking 50% of the ticket price, many are moving to 55% and 60%. Fox took 70% for the first two weeks of Avatar.
    I think that's what he was talking about. In the US, when I was a kid, it was $4.50 for kids prime-time, now it's $7 for matinees!!

    Adults used to be $6.50, now it's over $10.

    THEN after getting railed at the entry, it's $20 for two SMALL sodas and A popcorn. Maybe if they reduced prices to somewhere tolerable, sales would pick back up, but it shouldn't be over $100 to take a family of 4 to the movies.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

  12. #12
    I know this is COMPLETELY off topic but I am having trouble loading my apps on my iMac. A good majority of my apps in my dock like Pages, iPhoto,iMovie, Aquisition, Handbrake, etc... When clicked on they just bounce once and do not open. I have tried running Permissions in Disk Utility but the repair option is not available. HELP PLEASE!!!

  13. #13
    My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    835
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 48 Times in 44 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    I think that's what he was talking about. In the US, when I was a kid, it was $4.50 for kids prime-time, now it's $7 for matinees!!

    Adults used to be $6.50, now it's over $10.

    THEN after getting railed at the entry, it's $20 for two SMALL sodas and A popcorn. Maybe if they reduced prices to somewhere tolerable, sales would pick back up, but it shouldn't be over $100 to take a family of 4 to the movies.
    your completely right, you would think that if prices went down then they would sell more and possibly make more but who knows what they are thinking
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

  14. #14
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    487
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 39 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    I think that's what he was talking about. In the US, when I was a kid, it was $4.50 for kids prime-time, now it's $7 for matinees!!

    Adults used to be $6.50, now it's over $10.

    THEN after getting railed at the entry, it's $20 for two SMALL sodas and A popcorn. Maybe if they reduced prices to somewhere tolerable, sales would pick back up, but it shouldn't be over $100 to take a family of 4 to the movies.
    Keep in mind wages and salaries are also going up so you are making more money. In that YOU make more money, guess who else makes more money, studio workers, sound engineers, etc. So that being said, studio expenses go up and the increase has to be funded by someone. Without profits the studios go out of business and we don't get to enjoy movies any more. Ticket sales also go to installing new screens, keeping theaters clean, renovations, maintenance, etc.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    Keep in mind wages and salaries are also going up so you are making more money. In that YOU make more money, guess who else makes more money, studio workers, sound engineers, etc. So that being said, studio expenses go up and the increase has to be funded by someone. Without profits the studios go out of business and we don't get to enjoy movies any more. Ticket sales also go to installing new screens, keeping theaters clean, renovations, maintenance, etc.
    I understand how economics work. I argue for that point all the time, when people say that something only costs $0.13 to make, but costs the consumer $6 to buy it....

    HOWEVER, there's a limit. Eventually you reach maximum capacity, and sales go down as a result, thereby forcing prices to go even higher; which, again reduces sales. Sometimes the most profitable thing to do is lower prices.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •