+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Already Missing XServe? Active Storage has 'A Solution'

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
With Apple's intention to discontinue their XServe line in less than 3 days, enterprise professionals who rely on server versions of Mac OS X are scrambling for solutions. Apple has
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Already Missing XServe? Active Storage has 'A Solution'

With Apple's intention to discontinue their XServe line in less than 3 days, enterprise professionals who rely on server versions of Mac OS X are scrambling for solutions. Apple has been redirecting customers towards either their own Mac Mini Server edition or Mac Pro with Snow Leopard Server, but for those who need something beefier than those products, Active Storage may be exactly what they're looking for.

Active Storage was created by former Apple employees who left the company after Apple decided to no longer offer XServe RAID products. The company's website shows a countdown to the end of XServe on its website, along with a product covered by a cloth, which looks a whole lot like something that might resemble an XServe product. 9 to 5 Mac, discussing Active Storage, said that they've heard the product will "run a webmin variant with Darwin" meaning it will most likely run Snow Leopard Server virtually, which they've heard Apple plans to directly support as they discontinue their own high-end server hardware.

No screen shots are available at this point, and there's still a bit of mystery behind this potentially valuable product. Apparently Apple has been telling enterprise reps "about this for a few months" stating that this will be "go-to" hardware in the near future.

It had been recently rumored that Enterprise solutions, both hardware and software-based, were on their way out. However with Active Storage, it seems like Apple's server solutions are not dead at all. Be sure to check Active Storage's website when XServe becomes officially discontinued on February 1st.

Source:
    9to5Mac
    Active Storage

Thanks

Sounds good, I wonder what Apple will have to say. Love to see a powerful server running OS X.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I hope they have Steve's blessings, he'll bury them with attorneys fees if not.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Exactly what I was hoping for... Well not totally but if it's virtualized atop Darwin that would be better than nothing. Curiously though what virtualization solutions are supported under Darwin? VMWare possibly? While in many virtualization is the way to go these days as it is generally much more scalable performance and storage wise which makes growing IT resources much more efficient and cost effective. Additionally if you have a "small" need for OS X server; ie a corporation's "creative" department with 20 macs that would preferably utilize native file sharing(AFP), it makes sense to not need to invest in a piece of hardware for that single purpose which could potentially be way under utilized. So I guess this is great for scalability but it would also be nice to see some hardware capable of running os x server on bare metal, assuming apple would license such a product. While many may argue this to be a bad idea and will reference the clones of the mid 90's I see this as an entirely different situation. The Xserve represents such a tiny portion of apple's bottom line that it just makes more sense for them to license their enterprise software to major server manufacturers(IBM, HP, etc.) and strictly control(in good apple fashion of course!) what hardware it is allowed to run on to ensure QC. I don't think it makes sense to kill the software considering the millions they've invested in R&D and the fact that iOS is rapidly penetrating the enterprise setting, quickly encroaching on RIM's market share. It would make sense to continue to support a great piece of server software all while adding some great configuration and deployment software for iOS. The iOS configuration utility is ok but it could use some work, also it'd be great to see encrypted email and messaging services based on open standards(similar to what RIM offers with BBM and encrypted email) And before anyone says anything I know that iOS supports exchange but why not more tightly integrate secure iPhone communication, easy management and quick update/app deployment right into their own server offering. Just my two cents.

Thanks

2 cents more like 10 dollars :0)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm interested to see what the product is, we use xserve at my work and may need to use this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheesey123 View Post
    2 cents more like 10 dollars :0)
    lmmfgdao!!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

It would be great if Apple actually let this company officially run OS X Server on their hardware. It could be the first step to opening up OS X to more devices, or at least relaxing their grip on installing it on 3rd party hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by staterunner180 View Post
    It would be great if Apple actually let this company officially run OS X Server on their hardware. It could be the first step to opening up OS X to more devices, or at least relaxing their grip on installing it on 3rd party hardware.
    it would be the least they could do for stopping Xserver
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by staterunner180 View Post
    That is when it will start resembling windows. what sets OS X apart from others is that it is made specifically for certain hardware, not a 1,000,000 different configurations of hardware.

That being said, it would be cool if it officially ran OS X server.

It is basically a high-power linux server with a easy, whoop-*** GUI.

YouTube - activestoragevideos's Channel
    Last edited by moon#pie; 01-31-2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Twitter: @tshoults