+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Thanks to iPad, Apple is Now #3 in PC Sales

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Thanks to iPad, Apple is Now #3 in PC Sales

Thanks to Apple's much-adored tablet, the company has skyrocketed over the past year in computer sales, becoming the #3 computer manufacturer worldwide.

According to a new report, the tablet helped Apple secure a 19% fourth-quarter growth in sales, and an incredibly impressive 241% year-over-year growth. With just 3.8% of the total computer sales worldwide in Q4 2009, the new results show that Apple sold 10.8% of all PCs, when you include the tablet in the figures. That number just edges out Dell, making Apple the new #3 PC Manufacturer in the world.

The report comes from the company Canalys, who controversially decided to include all tablets in their market research. Ahead of Apple in the numbers are Acer, which saw an 8.8% percent growth, and HP which shipped 18.7 million units in Q4. Their year-over-year growth did slip to 2.9%, however companies such as Dell and Lenovo still experienced double-digit growth.

There is sure to be controversy in the company's inclusion of tablets, including the iPad. Issuing a statement on that topic specifically. Canalys' claims that tablets and computers are one and the same.

"Any argument that a pad is not a PC is simply out of sync… with screen sizes of seven inches or above, ample processing power, and a growing number of applications, pads offer a computing experience comparable to notebooks. They compete for the same customers and will happily coexist."
    With even more tablets expected to be sold in 2011, it seems that this controversy will continue, with the line between mobile device and portable computer being blurred more and more. Regardless, the evidence is clear, if one does consider the tablet a computer, than Apple is poised to garner even more of the market share if their iPad and Macs continue to sell at rapid rates.

Source:
    Canalys

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Bring on the iPad 2!!!! I am ready! And to buy it with my credit card cash rewards program for FREE. Even better!!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL what? Why is the iPad (or any tablet) being considered a pc?

The main difference is primary use. iPad is a device made for consumption. A PC, for production. There really is not argument here. Try and PRODUCE something on iPad as elegantly as you would on a desktop/laptop. It simply isn't going to happen. Next we will consider big screen TVs with web apps built in a PC sale... I mean they are over 7 inches and have the computing power, right?
    Last edited by sziklassy; 01-26-2011 at 01:06 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

adp (01-26-2011), juggz143 (01-26-2011), shinygerbil (01-26-2011), szr (02-04-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

No iDevices should be classed as PC's

adp
    Thanks

Agree, iPad should not be considered a Personal Computer.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Thanks

Their are many resins why the iPad is not a PC one is that the iPad has no North bridge.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to spazturtle For This Useful Post:

juggz143 (01-26-2011)

Thanks

The iPad is not a PC period

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

If you want to get into debating the use of the term "PC" (which has historically changed quite a bit) that's one thing. But these devices ARE computers. They are consumer devices that run modern microprocessors, with modern components, and modern (arguably next-generation) operating systems. People can use them in much the same way a "traditional" computer is used. Many people even prefer them to such a computer, as is evidence by their remarkable sales. Which is part of the point of this report. If you start to consider that people are using "post-PC" devices like PCs, then from a market analysis perspective it makes more sense to group them together. How you interpret the term "PC" has little bearing on this.
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. -- M.C. Escher
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin

11. The Following User Says Thank You to krosis For This Useful Post:

jeffhuys (01-26-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Making it's way up the totem pole. Nice!

Green Apple
    Thanks

When jailbroken, an iPad can just about approch a PC. Things like an actual way to access the filesystem goes some way towards this goal - we don't all live in our mailboxes or cloud storage. But nonetheless - as mentioned above - productivity is low. A friend of mine has recently purchased a Bluetooth keyboard so he can write faster on his iPad. Surely having to balance two separate objects is more cumbersome than a light macbook or similar?

When not jailbroken, the iPad is essentially a toy. Sophisticated, stylish and expensive, but little more than a toy.

(I don't mean to belittle iPads in a general way - I am simply referring to iPads in comparison with PCs, whether they be Windows, Macs or Linux PCs.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    Their are many resins why the iPad is not a PC one is that the iPad has no North bridge.
    That's an interesting comparison, since modern CPUs have mostly done away with anything that would have resembled a traditional north bridge, moving the functionality on core. This is done to a much greater extent in mobile processors to make what's called a System on Chip (SoC). Just because you condense the functionality to a single chip doesn't mean it isn't there anymore.

Things will blur even more when Microsoft releases Windows 8 for ARM, and you've got the same operating system running on "PCs" and "Non-PCs". Is an ARM Windows 8 laptop no longer a PC because it has an integrated memory controller?
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Ya i agree, it needs OSX. That would be awesome.

Also the fact that you need a laptop or a computer to sync your iPad to, makes it so you need both. the iPad is not self sufficient. Its a toy and i love it.
    Last edited by vantheman169; 01-26-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shinygerbil View Post
    A friend of mine has recently purchased a Bluetooth keyboard so he can write faster on his iPad.
    That reminds me how much easier it got typing on my desktop computer when I finally got a keyboard for it...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Like many others have said, iPad is NOT a PC. Now I will be getting an iP 2 when it's available but I won't be calling it a PC.

I just bought a new Apple PC! Oh yeah, what did you get an MBP, MBA, MB, iMac? No I got the new iPad! That's not a PC

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Now if Apple allowed flash, perhaps the boundary between iPad and PC would shorten

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

I fail to see how an iPad is not a PC
    you can do internet browsing, word processing, install terminal, write music, play games, jailbreak it, mod it, theme it, take it apart, put it back together and put it in a blender.
    what do PC's have that i didn't just list?
    besides being upgradeable, but even some PCs lack that feature
    Sure iOS is limited, but only by the motivation of the devs
    if someone wanted to bad enough, and had the know how, they could write drivers for the iPad and install any OS they wanted
    Last edited by dale2; 01-26-2011 at 04:32 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dale2 For This Useful Post:

jeffhuys (01-26-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Man, I own an iPad, I've jailbroken it, installed nano and done terminal stuff with it, customized the death out of it, and I totally love it for its uses, but in my humble opinion this thing should in no way be considered alongside PC sales. In reality, all it has going for it is a large screen, and that does NOT make it comparable to other real tablet PCs at all. Its running on a scaled-up smartphone OS for crying out loud.

What makes a PC count as a PC? Its all in the OS, baby. iOS doesn't cut it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I really hate these articles. The argument isnt even worth energy used to type this sentence out - but I digress.

iPads are not, nor will they ever be, by design, a replacement for a computer. Because it isnt the equivalent of - there should never be a chart or similar item presented that suggests that an iPad counts toward PC sales/distribution.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale2 View Post
    I fail to see how an iPad is not a PC
    you can do internet browsing, word processing, install terminal, write music, play games, jailbreak it, mod it, theme it, take it apart, put it back together and put it in a blender.
    what do PC's have that i didn't just list?
    besides being upgradeable, but even some PCs lack that feature
    Sure iOS is limited, but only by the motivation of the devs
    if someone wanted to bad enough, and had the know how, they could write drivers for the iPad and install any OS they wanted
    yea those functions are on pc as well but you cant run applications that require really cpu power, you cant even run certain videos on the ipad under vlc because the processor is not fast enough.

i think the line is drawn at what os the device runs, the ipad still runs an ios and a pc would run Mac osx.

i dont think the ipad should be included in the pc category for this reason, i always tell people that ask me if they should get an ipad, it doesnt replace a laptop it just complements one
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'll give credit where it's due. Apple has done extremely well with their iOS devices.
    That said the iPad is far from being a pc. Lets see how well this sounds.
    Consumer goes to local bestbuy.

Customer: I need a pc

Sales Rep: What will you be doing with the pc?

Customer: Mostly school work, Email, a few video games, movies, music.

Sales Rep: Great, You need the new Apple iPad.

Customer: Show it to me please.

Sales Rep: Here it is, Amazingly thin & light.

Customer: WOW that is really nice looking. Where do I connect the mouse & keyboard?

Sales Rep. You don't, All touch screen.

Customer: Nice. Where do I hook up my camera to save pics?

Sales Rep: Well you buy this camera kit for 29.00

Customer: Well where do I connect my phone to sync it & a printer?

Sales Rep: Look buddy it's a pc. You think it's going to let you connect a phone, keyboard, mouse, printer, install any software from the internet, download music/movies from any place other than itunes? Get real this 2011. & to use it to it's fullest you will need another pc to sync it.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.