+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Secures Patent for High Tactile 'Magic' Glove Design

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Although gloves customized for use with touchscreen devices are nothing new, there's something quite "magical" about what could become the most popular high tactile gloves on the market. At least,
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Secures Patent for High Tactile 'Magic' Glove Design

Although gloves customized for use with touchscreen devices are nothing new, there's something quite "magical" about what could become the most popular high tactile gloves on the market. At least, that's what Apple is probably hoping for.

According to our friends at Patently Apple, the folks in Cupertino have won a patent for a new "Magic Glove System," the design for which also surfaced this week at the US Patent and Trademark Office. If you're curious as to how these gloves will improve upon those currently available on the market, that much isn't yet clear. Although since the word "magic" is involved, these must be superior to the competition, right?

Regardless, anyone who lives in a cold climate and owns and operates an iDevice in the winter knows the significant frustration born of wearing gloves while trying to enjoy your nearest iPhone, iPod, or iPad. As a result, Apple has apparently invested in a workaround for this dilemma, the outcome of which will likely be an Apple-sanctioned and Apple-branded pair of absurdly expensive gloves optimized for use with any touchscreen Apple product in inclement weather.

If you're interested in reading the intricate ins and outs of a "glove system" that utilizes immensely elaborate descriptions of a remarkably simple design - one that is grossly similar to competing products already available - be sure to check out the complete rundown from Patently Apple before "Magic Gloves" turn up in an Apple store near you.

Patently Apple

Green Apple
    Thanks

patent happy f#@$

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe they will shot out lasers out of the finger tips of the glove... That's why they'll be "magic".
    I like apple stuff.
    If you see the username "McMichael96" anywhere, it's probably me.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McMichael96 For This Useful Post:

Snozberries (01-26-2011), spazturtle (01-26-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McMichael96 View Post
    Maybe they will shot out lasers out of the finger tips of the glove... That's why they'll be "magic".
    maybe super strong spider webs so you can 'fly' around town... wait... that's already done. Sorry DC Comics and SpiderMan...

Quote Originally Posted by Snozberries View Post
    maybe super strong spider webs so you can 'fly' around town... wait... that's already done. Sorry DC Comics and SpiderMan...
    unlessss... DC COmics didn't patent that yet and Apple is already onboard! LOL
    Last edited by Snozberries; 01-26-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My burton snowboard gloves work perfectly with my iPhone4

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

I bought a pair of 180s tec touch gloves a while back from ****'s Sporting Goods for $30 and they were terrible. You had to get your finger juuuussst right in order for the screen to respond to the gloves at all. I eventually took the gloves off out of frustration when I tried responding to a text and used my fingers again in the cold Chicago winter weather. There is NO WAY IN H3LL you'd be able to use those gloves for texting... it took me 3 tries just to slide to unlock. There are other attempts from like North Face's Etips - But i'd feel like a 5 year old wearing gloves that look like gloves from the movie Tron.

You can read reviews about other gloves [ame="http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=603188"]HERE.[/ame]

Needless to say, I returned the gloves. I'm still looking for a solution that works and doesnt make me feel like an idiot wearing them. Im pretty sure if Apple has their "Hand" in it, the gloves they come out with will work. Period. And if that's the case... even though they'd be way overpriced... just like everyone else, I would buy them. Why? Because that's the beauty of Apple. It just works. We all pay out the @$$ for Apple products because we know they work and get the job done well... (and they're freakin gorgeous). You really get what you pay for. So sign me up for a pair of these gloves. I'll be poor... but at laest myy txets wnot loook lkie tihs in teh colld.

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

haha. @snozberryies
    Last edited by McMichael96; 01-26-2011 at 11:04 AM.
    I like apple stuff.
    If you see the username "McMichael96" anywhere, it's probably me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madspaniel View Post
    My burton snowboard gloves work perfectly with my iPhone4
    I will attest to that. The ones I purchased came with the firs layer having the touch imprint on the pointer and thumb. They work flawlessly. Ended up buying another set for my wife so she can take advantage of it as well.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just had a flashback to Tom Cruise doing his investigations in "Minority Report"

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This changes everything again, not just tech style...but apparel style too! I hope they have an apple logo sewed on to them....,seriously what will be next, apple shoes! hey they should make that!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

This technology looks exactly like what is already out on the market. True, I am basing this completely on just what information is provided here, but just looking at that picture, that is exactly the way the current gloves work. I wonder if those other companies were foolish enough not to patent their design and Apple is just snatching it up now...

Sadly, this wouldn't work at all in about 98% of US cities
    Last edited by sziklassy; 01-26-2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

maybe super strong spider webs so you can 'fly' around town... wait... that's already done. Sorry DC Comics
    This doesn't work because spiderman is a MARVEL Comics character not DC! #justsayin

That's like saying the iPhone is a Microsoft product.... Blasphemy
    Last edited by juggz143; 01-26-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by devesstate View Post
    I just had a flashback to Tom Cruise doing his investigations in "Minority Report"
    It's the way of the future

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by devesstate View Post
    They are doing that sort of thing with the XBOX Kinect. It's awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlLsc...e_gdata_player

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post

YouTube - Kinect Hand Detection
    Yes! I was absolutely floored the first time I saw that video. The stuff they're coming up with for the kinect is very entertaining to follow.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

thats awesome definitely like minority report, way better than cold winter gloves
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Whatever that person is wearing on their hands looks like the gloves that the vampires use at the beginning of Blade 2 lol! Awesome vid!

Thanks

Is it me or does this remind me of the NES Glove controller?
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

That thing was boss for it's time.

Thanks

I just purchased a pair of Agloves (Ag is the periodic element for silver) and they are FANTASTIC!!! I'm using them with my iPhone 4 with no problems and with shipping they are about $20.

At first I didn't think they were warm enough, then when using them through out the day, they are plenty warm.

Although they don't do well against below zero wind chills, they are great otherwise. I recommend getting 2 pairs and doubling them up for the extremely cold days. (I live in MN and we had -10 wind chills last Friday)

Do a google search for Agloves. I think it's agloves.com

I got them and love them.