+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is Apple Planning on Merging iTunes and Safari?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by AdonisBlue This article is just misguided ignorance! The % of popularity means nothing and in no way is accurate considering what the variables of the collected data
    Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdonisBlue View Post
    This article is just misguided ignorance! The % of popularity means nothing and in no way is accurate considering what the variables of the collected data are..

Apple is not in a battle for browser supremacy, I think that very clear. And why would they? Safari is a nice clean, simple browser that works very well. Apple supplies it with OSX period.

Merging with iTunes would not even make sense for many reasons, but it makes even less sense to even bring up the idea.

"Fact"!?

That's not fact about anything! It's your own personal experience and I highly doubt its a direct relation of either program.. I've never heard of nor ever seen such a thing. And I touch more computers than the average person. Since I repair and maintenance them!

If your having crashes of those two programs I'm betting your having crashes of other programs as well and I'm betting your issues with it are deeper than your own understanding!
    Actually no it's only those programs and then the fact that I'm on a 2008 MacBook Pro with 6gigs Ram

And iTunes is definitely 32bit but that other guy was right safari is 64bit I just checked it on Activity Monitor

And I'll have you know my degree is in Computers, but I will add these are the top two programs I constantly use

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

If they merge ..... were all screwed !!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The reason Firefox and Chrome are more popular than Safari is because people can code their website to be optimized for one browser and have it run just as efficient on all machines that use that browser(i.e. running better on Firefox regardless of whether Firefox is installed on a Mac or Windows computer).

Also when creating plug-ins they can create one that goes for Firefox, again, regardless of what the actual OS running Firefox is. The smaller market share of Safari combined with the fact that Safari isn't for Windows means developers would have to code for Firefox, and then code again for Safari.

There isn't anything really wrong with Safari but I find it renders pages slower than Firefix although it is less prone to crashing than Firefox. It's really just personal preference.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Perhaps everyone is looking at it at the wrong way. Think about emergence of cloud computing. Perhaps the "iTunes" they're talking about is a web based cloud version of ITunes but safari will recognise iPhones plugged in etc. Would make way more sense than a merge between the two physical apps.

As someone already said, safari is basically embeded into iTunes so all it would be is an addition of an address bar in ITunes and you basically have it. Hardly worthy of dropping iTunes for and selling all your mac equipment and jumping on the droid merry go round. It's just a rumour play with the idea and about how it may be valuable and what you would do if you were to merge them. Makes for more interesting debate.

Green Apple
    Thanks

this would be great. When apple does something they do it right.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j.eck.art.3d View Post
    If this happens an anti-trust suit would come to the rescue. A company is not allowed to force a provisional product on it's users. Think about the suit Microsoft got slapped with by forcing IE into operating systems. As it is I am annoyed by the fact that EVERY TIME I upgrade iTunes, I get a pop-up that automatically has "install safari" selected.

Steve, I don't want your crappy browser. I'm a Firefox user through and through. Now stop trying to jam it down my throat. If you want more market share do what you did with mobile devices INNOVATE and then users will CHOOSE your product. Nobody likes a pretentious bully.
    Why did Microsoft get an anti-trust suit for bundling IE with Windows, but Apple gets away with bundling Safari with OS X?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

iTunes and Safari is slow and bloated on windows thats the main issue here i think... iTunes feels light and nimble on a mac and apple need to make this universal if they combine the 2

Thanks

I don't even see how this could happen
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

I'm...not fond of this idea. Especially when I use FireFox.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

I love Chrome, by far the best browser. I have converted pretty much all of my friends. Once they use Chrome once...they never go back to Firefox or IE...Safari isn't even in the picture.
    El Zurdo

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

I kinda like the idea. But first they need to speed up Safari on Windows first. I haven't got a Mac (yet...) so I don't know if it runs faster on osx.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

I would rather see Apple rewrite iTunes using a webkit interface. It would be resource lite and still capable via HTML5. iTunes is a hog as it now stands.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

On Mac OS X I got rid of any web browsers other than Safari....When i used windows however I ONLY used Opera and occasionally Chrome. I don't like to have more than one main Web Browser....and on OS X I have found Safari to be the best (plus I hate a crowded Applications Folder).

Now, I actually like this idea, not sure exactly what they'd call it though. Think about it.....EVERYBODY uses iTunes, but not many people use Safari....so if people started using iTunes for the internet it would be the biggest web browser......hmmm....I like it.

But I think that statistics aren't whats important here.
    God Bless

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blueblaze4444 View Post

Now, I actually like this idea, not sure exactly what they'd call it though. Think about it.....EVERYBODY uses iTunes, but not many people use Safari....so if people started using iTunes for the internet it would be the biggest web browser......hmmm....I like it.

But I think that statistics aren't whats important here.

No, oh God no.
    Last edited by dale1v; 01-18-2011 at 08:06 PM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Thanks

K...new idea:

Apple should make an "online bank" for people to store their music, apps, videos, photos to. They can login with their apple id and the bank would backup their iTunes library. They can call it iDrive
    No confundas mi personalidad con mi actitud. Mi personalidad es quien soy yo, mi actitud depende de quien seas tú.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 915 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Th3_Amazing_Ath3ist View Post
    K...new idea:

Apple should make an "online bank" for people to store their music, apps, videos, photos to. They can login with their apple id and the bank would backup their iTunes library. They can call it iDrive
    That's what I was thinking the combo would do! A person wouldn't even need a 'personal' computer anymore since they could login from anywhere, backup/sync from anywhere, upgrade from anywhere and never have to worry about a dedicated computer! I could sync my iPhone from my iPhone! *I personally would still have a 'home' computer but for those w/ low dividends, this idea could work for them.

Now for the MMI bashers! 3 - 2 - 1...!

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

Where is any credible source for this information? The link here goes to Three Guys and a Podcast, but their article says nothing about any kind of source, and has no links. I mean, I understand it's a slow news week but that doesn't mean editors can just make sh*t up like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

Thanks
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 915 Posts

Wow...30 min and no insults yet!

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

i see why they would want to do this to help safari out, but i would have to see a preview fist to decide if i would like it at all
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

This will never happen
    Every time iTunes has an update for iDevices they would have to update Safari with it which would be alot more work