+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is Apple Planning on Merging iTunes and Safari?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
I honestly don't think it's such a horrible idea on their part. Say you're browsing through albums or movies in the itunes store and you want to do a little
    My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

I honestly don't think it's such a horrible idea on their part. Say you're browsing through albums or movies in the itunes store and you want to do a little more research about them, rather than open up a new browser, you can just click over a tab in itunes and keep everything close together. It will prove to get at least a small amount of new Safari users. A big part of the problem is that a lot of people simply just don't bother with Safari on PCs.

I just hope that Apple finds a way for itunes to be less of a RAM hog. I'm tired of waiting 45 seconds for the program to open up, recognize my phone and actually allow me to click on SOMETHING.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDirtyDiddler For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (01-18-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 737 Posts

I'd rather not use either. Still waiting for Tiny Umbrella to be able to restore firmware without iTunes.
    My latest theme - -

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leathelisor View Post
    Lol...don't have much choice there do we
    Actually... there are PLENTY of browswer choices for iDevices:

Aquari, Cloud Browser (cloud based flash support), Hot Browser, iBrowse2, Incognito, Magic Browser, Mini Browser, Mobicip, Opera (very good), Privately, PrivateWeb, QuickSurf, Safe Browser, Shaking Web, Skyfire (2nd best to Safari in my opinion - with flash support btw), Wide Web, and probably more?!?

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    It sounds like Apple are trying to make Safari the #1 Browser by tacking it into iTunes. What do you call it though? iTunes? People won't know it's also a browser. Safari? People won't know it's where they sync their iPods.
    Safari will never be #1 browser too many dumb windows users using IE and picking up viruses and not even knowing the name of the browser there using. Safari is ok it's number 2 browser on my pc. But definitely keep it away from iTunes that does sound like a good mix at all.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone? More like MyPhone yentrog31's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djrbx View Post
    I don't really post much on here but I do have to say that Safari currently is my #3 browser on my system. Chrome then Firefox being a close second. If apple decides that they will merge both Safari and iTunes, well I will drop using Safari. I honestly do not like iTunes. Granted it's not as bad on my Macbook as if it were installed on a Windows system, but it's still pretty bloated. Much more if they integrated both software into one.

Just my 2 cents
    Ditto..Safari was slow on my Mac out of the box.I was surprised so I went to Chrome like I had on my windows machine and it's blazing fast.After the last few updates I tried Safari again and still can watch the slow loading blue bar.Back to Chrome and no looking back.Merging these two turtles is a very bad idea.
    "It takes a rare thing, a turning point, to free oneself from any obsession. Be it prejudice or hate, or, even love"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to yentrog31 For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (01-18-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    I just hope that Apple finds a way for itunes to be less of a RAM hog. I'm tired of waiting 45 seconds for the program to open up, recognize my phone and actually allow me to click on SOMETHING.
    lol i'm in the same boat! and on top of that if you open up another program it runs even slower!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j.eck.art.3d View Post
    If this happens an anti-trust suit would come to the rescue. A company is not allowed to force a provisional product on it's users. Think about the suit Microsoft got slapped with by forcing IE into operating systems. As it is I am annoyed by the fact that EVERY TIME I upgrade iTunes, I get a pop-up that automatically has "install safari" selected.

Steve, I don't want your crappy browser. I'm a Firefox user through and through. Now stop trying to jam it down my throat. If you want more market share do what you did with mobile devices INNOVATE and then users will CHOOSE your product. Nobody likes a pretentious bully.
    Good point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    I honestly don't think it's such a horrible idea on their part. Say you're browsing through albums or movies in the itunes store and you want to do a little more research about them, rather than open up a new browser, you can just click over a tab in itunes and keep everything close together. It will prove to get at least a small amount of new Safari users. A big part of the problem is that a lot of people simply just don't bother with Safari on PCs.

Also the syncing process isn't very fast, why can't Apple use FireWire it would be much faster.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Heck, they already try to bundle them. How much of their installed users exist solely because they push safari through the iTunes updates and many people just don't know any better? Stop trying to make me use your crappy insecure web browser! I cannot wait until someone makes a replacement for updating iOS firmware, then I won't even need iTunes!

Thanks

Pshh I would much rather merge iCal with iWeb and TextEdit. Soo much more useful.... [/sarcasm]

13. The Following User Says Thank You to zoso10 For This Useful Post:

aziatiklover (01-24-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

People are always throwing around the word "bloat" when iTunes is involved. Can someone explain what they mean? What's your problem with it? Do you want 5 different apps to sync your iPod with?

I see iTunes as the one stop app for arranging, downloading and syncing my media for my iPhone and before that my iPod.
    However a merger with Safari is stupid, just to try and increase market share. It's the small price to pay for converting windows users. They were probably used to Firefox on windows so they'll use firefox on mac
    I agree, it's the easiest way to update and install music/apps/video, not to mention it's crazy simple.

Combining the two would be waste of time. Sure you might get a few more users, but I think you would lose quite a few as well. Not the best idea.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    This would be ridiculously retarded

The fact that iTunes crashes a ton already and the fact the Safari does to sometimes only proves the reason why this is stupid, how about implanting them both to 64 bit mode first at least this would help against the crashes

stupid apple
    both of those are already 64 bit

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is stupid. I don't even see how this could be a rumor.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Safari is essentially already part of iTunes. What do you think renders the apple store? Magic gnomes? At least on Mac as I can't speak for windows iTunes utilizes safari webkit on Mac though and generally upgraded together. I wouldn't mind the addition of a browser bar in iTunes but leave safari alone!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

They should integrate safari into iTunes. One of my favorite media/browser combos is Songbird. Apple could learn from them. I don't use Safari at all.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i love safari. it can hold it's own, no need to merge it with itunes.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

I've tried every browser and the only browser that really seemed fast to me was opera but the interface is a little cluttered and images look like crap so I went back to safari and I love it. And with the new addition of extensions I found no use for firefox anymore. Apple just needs to work on speed and make the address and search bar one and I will e super happy. I'm on a Mac though and I can agree that chrome is the best for pc but on my Mac safari is boss!

iPhone? More like MyPhone andrewb283's Avatar
    Thanks

NOOOOOO! I hate safari, I like chrome much better!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

People are always throwing around the word "bloat" when iTunes is involved. Can someone explain what they mean? What's your problem with it? Do you want 5 different apps to sync your iPod with?

I see iTunes as the one stop app for arranging, downloading and syncing my media for my iPhone and before that my iPod.
    However a merger with Safari is stupid, just to try and increase market share. It's the small price to pay for converting windows users. They were probably used to Firefox on windows so they'll use firefox on mac
    Simply put, I want the option to drag and drop things. I don't want to HAVE to go through a syncing process just to move playable files onto my phone. Are you familiar with floola (for all none TOUCH iPods)? I think that was a great option. Would love to have something like that.

One thing I love about android is you can just drop files onto your sd card. If you want to do real syncing, there is a program that looks/feels like itunes called double twist. The great thing is it even looks at your phone to see if there are any newer songs since the sync (you may have drag/dropped some files over without doing a full sync) and asks you if you would like to save them on your main computer as well. Simple, easy, and IMO makes everyone happy.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

This article is just misguided ignorance! The % of popularity means nothing and in no way is accurate considering what the variables of the collected data are..

Apple is not in a battle for browser supremacy, I think that very clear. And why would they? Safari is a nice clean, simple browser that works very well. Apple supplies it with OSX period.

Merging with iTunes would not even make sense for many reasons, but it makes even less sense to even bring up the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    This would be ridiculously retarded

The fact that iTunes crashes a ton already and the fact the Safari does to sometimes only proves the reason why this is stupid, how about implanting them both to 64 bit mode first at least this would help against the crashes

stupid apple
    "Fact"!?

That's not fact about anything! It's your own personal experience and I highly doubt its a direct relation of either program.. I've never heard of nor ever seen such a thing. And I touch more computers than the average person. Since I repair and maintenance them!

If your having crashes of those two programs I'm betting your having crashes of other programs as well and I'm betting your issues with it are deeper than your own understanding!
    Last edited by AdonisBlue; 01-18-2011 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost