+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Giving Away 10k iTunes Gift Card for 10 Billionth App Download

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Perhaps rivaled in grandeur only by the ball that drops in Times Square every New Year's Eve, the other famous countdown mechanism we all know and love (or simply tolerate)
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Giving Away 10k iTunes Gift Card for 10 Billionth App Download

Perhaps rivaled in grandeur only by the ball that drops in Times Square every New Year's Eve, the other famous countdown mechanism we all know and love (or simply tolerate) has returned. And all you have to do is check out the official Apple website to see where the numbers stand at this very moment. You see, on Friday, Apple resurrected its cheesy little app download counter to usher in with excitement the forthcoming 10 billionth app download from the App Store.

The milestone hyped, however, is, indeed, significant, as it points to the rampant growth of both the Apple App Store and also the digital app world as a whole. As a result of the enormousness of the occasion, Apple is giving away a hefty chunk of change via iTunes gift card (meaning a chunk of the cash comes back to Apple) to the person who downloads the 10 billionth app. According to Apple's advertised promotion, the person who hits the app jackpot will receive the aforementioned gift card loaded with $10,000 - almost enough to buy the full inventory of premium burp/fart apps now available.

Of course, the obligatory phone call (hopefully to a member of this community) from Steve Jobs will likely follow. Although gimmicks such as these from Apple are often panned in the media, the growth of the App Store is nothing to laugh at. Just one year ago, in fact, Apple was heralding the 3 billionth download from the App Store - a figure that tripled in only twelve months. Even more incredible, the App Store's first year of existence saw only 1.5 billion app downloads in total.

So the countdown is back on. Good luck to all.

Apple
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 01-14-2011 at 01:13 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

geeklord98765 (01-15-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post

Perhaps rivaled in grandeur only by the ball that drops in Times Square every New Year's Eve, the other famous countdown mechanism we all know and love (or simply tolerate) has returned. And all you have to do is check out the official Apple website to see where the numbers stand at this very moment. You see, on Friday, Apple resurrected its cheesy little app download counter to usher in with excitement the forthcoming 10 billionth app download from the App Store.

The milestone hyped, however, is, indeed, significant, as it points to the rampant growth of both the Apple App Store and also the digital app world as a whole. As a result of the enormousness of the occasion, Apple is giving away a hefty chunk of change via iTunes gift card (meaning a chunk of the cash comes back to Apple) to the person who downloads the 10 billionth app. According to Apple's advertised promotion, the person who hits the app jackpot will receive the aforementioned gift card loaded with $10,000 - almost enough to buy the full inventory of premium burp/fart apps now available.

Of course, the obligatory phone call (hopefully to a member of this community) from Steve Jobs will likely follow. Although gimmicks such as these from Apple are often panned in the media, the growth of the App Store is nothing to laugh at. Just one year ago, in fact, Apple was heralding the 3 billionth download from the App Store - a figure that tripled in only twelve months. Even more incredible, the App Store's first year of existence saw only 1.5 billion app downloads in total.

So the countdown is back on. Good luck to all.

Apple
    Is this for US residents????

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

According to Apple:

The 10 Billion Apps Countdown Promotion (the “Promotion”) is open only to entrants who are 13 years of age or older at time of entry, and are legal residents of a participating country. See the iTunes Store front page in your country for details. Limit 25 entries per person per day. No purchase necessary. This contest ends after download of the 10 billionth app. To enter or read official rules, visit Apple - iTunes - 10 Billion App Countdown - Rules.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

i'd sell it for a Droid X... i'm kidding! Is there a way to hook up your friends with some of the winnings?! That would be mint!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,864 Times in 2,205 Posts

10k i dont think i could ever spend all of that in the app store but i would sure try lol
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Download the 10 billionth app and you COULD win a $10,000 gift card. WTF?
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

That would be awesome. I could not possibly fit all that media on my iDevice. lol

oh and 10 BILLION apps. Wow i guess thats what Apple does is make tons and tons of $$$$ what a great idea. And now there is a Mac App store too. Damn it i wish i could go back in time and invest in Apple Stock.
    Last edited by vantheman169; 01-14-2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

$10k for iTunes? I could never spend that much. Now I could do some damage with $10k in the apple store...but iTunes?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

for some reason I feel like im gonna win! strategy: when it hits 9,999,990,??? im gonna have everyone in my family sitting with their ipad/ipod/iphone in their hands and downloading away, but in reality 1 million people are gonna do the same thing so yah!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

If I won, why keep it to myself.. I would create my own music sharing website.

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

that wuld be amazing if they gave 10k for the apple store i would probably _____ in my pants haha on a side note you think that counter is ligit? haha that's going tuper fast dang

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    $10k for iTunes? I could never spend that much. Now I could do some damage with $10k in the apple store...but iTunes?
    Same thing.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Thanks

I literally couldn't ever spend that much. Ever.

Thanks

Wow, 10 billion already? I remember when the 1 billionth app was sold
    Quote Originally Posted by DapperDon30 View Post
    Is this for US residents????
    Why would you quote the whole post when you're the first comment?
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

They should give us a ten billion dollar card for ten billionth Download

I won't be able to win because I'm going to be away from the Internet until Sunday lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

So im thinking win this thing then sell it or trade it on here for a mbp or an air(something thats far more useful) then a 10k gift card, hell even a 1,000 dollar app store gift card would be pretty much useless after 300 or so dollars

Green Apple
    Thanks

does this go for apps that you purchase/download or free apps also?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

And inevitably the person who downloads the 10 billionth app will not know about the contest and it will be a mother downloading Farmville.

Thanks

I've been using a 15$ giftcard since Xmas and only managed to rack up 1 purchase boy imagine how Long 10000 would take!
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kariodude View Post
    And inevitably the person who downloads the 10 billionth app will not know about the contest and it will be a mother downloading Farmville.
    So true.