+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Upsets Microsoft in Move to Trademark 'App Store'

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple is making waves with its effort to secure a controversial trademark in the highly competitive mobile app space. According to published reports this week, Microsoft is formally challenging Apple's
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Upsets Microsoft in Move to Trademark 'App Store'

Apple is making waves with its effort to secure a controversial trademark in the highly competitive mobile app space. According to published reports this week, Microsoft is formally challenging Apple's 2008 application to trademark "App Store." Yes, you read that correctly. Incredibly, after three years, only on Tuesday did Microsoft actually file a motion for a summary judgment which would effectively prevent Apple from securing that generic trademark.

The status page for Apple's trademark request says "an opposition is now pending" at the trial board.
    In the filing, Microsoft contends that "'app store' is generic for retail store services featuring apps and unregistrable for ancillary services such as searching for and downloading apps from such stores." It now appears that a heated legal battle over the rights to "app store" is on, as Apple thinks it is within its means to trademark the catch-all designation for a digital storefront that makes available apps for purchase and download.

If Apple proves successful, the ramifications could be felt across the mobile space as multiple "app stores" for competing brands have either been formally launched or remain in active development. While it isn't yet clear how far Apple is willing to take its argument, it's apparent that Microsoft and others won't let Apple get its way without an ample courtroom challenge.

PC World

Thanks

Rook takes pawn....your move Apple

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Why is everybody apple haters

Thanks

Haterade Because its easy to hate the best

Thanks

Saurik and the rest of the devs should sue apple for stealing their idea. If it wasn't for jailbreaking, there wouldn't be an app store!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hate? I think apple is a competitive force... But solo control of 'App Store' would very much make the playing field unlevel.

Thanks

Good point...Remember the good ole days of Installer? Times have definately changed for the better.

Apple should lose this fight.

Thanks

Apple is always in someones sights these days.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Everybody wants to emulate something that is succesfull and Apple is always 2 steps ahead. How is it that Nokia and Motorolla who were in complete controll of the Cell phone Market never produced a high end Cell phone over the last 20 years. Apple Comes out with the Iphone and every one has some sort of touch screen phone. Apple releases the app store and now everyone wants to do it.

Thanks

I think they deserve to keep it solely Apple. Cydia isn't called the "Jailbreak App Store" & correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Android have the "Marketplace" ??? Surely any company is capable of branding a store to sell their apps without taking such an uninventive route for naming purposes. Lol

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'm with Microsoft on this one. If you have a store that sells Applications you should be able to call it an App Store or Application Store. App isn't even a word. The term App was coined by users and not by Apple.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LSZ33 View Post
    Saurik and the rest of the devs should sue apple for stealing their idea. If it wasn't for jailbreaking, there wouldn't be an app store!
    hahaha yeah?? you kidding right? the app store doesnt need the jailbreak community.

We are like ninjas we are solo one!! no one needs us and we dont need them!!!
    Well............................ we need the IOS and the idevices but thats a different thing.

Thanks

I thought it was already trademarked because they shut down a bunch of sites that had "appstore" in their name.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by endwaro View Post
    hahaha yeah?? you kidding right? the app store doesnt need the jailbreak community.

We are like ninjas we are solo one!! no one needs us and we dont need them!!!
    Well............................ we need the IOS and the idevices but thats a different thing.
    You do know Cydia came out before the App Store right? Therefore Cydia could have given Apple the idea for an App Store much like many features that have obviously been inspired by jailbreak tweaks, the most obvious one I can think of was the folders feature from iOS 4, that's like straight rip-off of categories from Cydia, except done a little better and easier. I think the jailbreak community definitely has influenced the iPhone, just compare iOS 4 to iPhone OS 1.0 there were definitely features added to each iOS that were available in Cydia way before each iPhone firmware came out.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionarymc View Post
    I think they deserve to keep it solely Apple. Cydia isn't called the "Jailbreak App Store" & correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Android have the "Marketplace" ??? Surely any company is capable of branding a store to sell their apps without taking such an uninventive route for naming purposes. Lol
    My thought exactly. I feel were they're coming from by saying it's a generic term but at the time of it's creation it wasn't. Android didnt want to follow apple so they dubbed it something else which is what Microsoft should do, create something themselves
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

From what i'm getting with all apple's jumping around on trademark this and copyright that. Is the big monopoly trial thats coming... One day

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theomer View Post
    Hate? I think apple is a competitive force... But solo control of 'App Store' would very much make the playing field unlevel.
    Don't you realize Microsoft has tried to monopolize "marketplace"?

Quote Originally Posted by reopeadres View Post
    From what i'm getting with all apple's jumping around on trademark this and copyright that. Is the big monopoly trial thats coming... One day
    Perhaps you should read it again. Apple did not infringe anyone's trademark or copyright. Microsoft wants to steal Apple's "App Store" good will:
    http://obamapacman.com/2011/01/analy...to-fool-uspto/

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple are becoming a big pain in the behind and need to stop their nonsense!!! Whats next to try and 'keep' for themselves? McDonalds next? "Would u like a APPLE(tm) pie with that meal?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jius For This Useful Post:

The Amazing Atheist (01-13-2011)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kingmofo View Post
    Everybody wants to emulate something that is succesfull and Apple is always 2 steps ahead. How is it that Nokia and Motorolla who were in complete controll of the Cell phone Market never produced a high end Cell phone over the last 20 years. Apple Comes out with the Iphone and every one has some sort of touch screen phone. Apple releases the app store and now everyone wants to do it.
    no offence man, but at least know what you're talking about. Apple was not the first to make a touch a screen phone. This may be wrong but IBM made the first touch screen phone.

As for the lawsuit, i think apple should lose this one. They're way too monopolistic.
    penisjewface is the name, prostitution is the game.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

This is retarded. Invent another name for your store.