Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Worth $6 Billion, Apple Chief Steve Jobs Keeps $1 Salary

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

He owns shares of Disney and many other companies

He's also on corporate boards as well, I believe. He's doing ok, let's not shed tears for him living in a cardboard box behind a 7-11.
    Senior

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Great guy

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I love that he doesn't care about money or how much he's worth, he just wants to make the best quality products his company can for their customers, nothing more. He's a natural born leader and he does a damn good job of it!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Nobody knows if he has donated before. Some people don't like to show it off every time they donate. So who knows SJ could be donating anonymously or not at all.
    If he is taking a $1 yearly salary, that, to me, doesn't speak of someone that doesn't want to flaunt what he's got. Just my opinion, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I love that he doesn't care about money or how much he's worth, he just wants to make the best quality products his company can for their customers, nothing more. He's a natural born leader and he does a damn good job of it!
    Doesn;t care about money.... riiiiiiiight.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 01-08-2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Doesn;t care about money.... riiiiiiiight.
    Sure he's got the nice Mercedes (without plates) and a nice house, but he doesn't go around splurging his money just because he has it like other billionaires. The guy wears a turtty and jeans for pete's sake!

I guess when you own Disney and Apple you don't need a salary
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    I guess when you own Disney and Apple you don't need a salary
    Amen.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Pretty much

WOW, some of you people are so lost. Do you think billionaires hoarding their money is good for the rest of us? do you think Steve Jobs only making a dollar from Apple is a noble thing or is he doing it to avoid taxes? Do you think SJ has a few write offs? when you work for the man food, gas, shelter, transportation is paid for by taxed income. when you're steve jobs it's a write off.

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

its pretty obvious, that this guy is no dummy. He is most likely doing this for 2 reasons, 1: tax evasion, and 2: no one will ever "fire" a CEO that requests only a dollar per year, and should be getting payed over a mill a year. it's a pretty smart tactic. I would have guessed that most of you ppl have already seen through this guys bull$hit.
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

12. The Following User Says Thank You to badass1469 For This Useful Post:

Tedomcmillan (01-10-2011)

What an idiot... who can deny 900k dollars in this economy? If he actually took his salary, e could buy even more of the company! Steve Jobs is a logistical failtality and has an extremely limited wardrobe.

He takes all the credit for what genius thinkers invent. The genius thinkers aren't even recognized on the Apple site. Steve jobs can yab all he wants, but he didnt do anything to get Apple back on its feet.

Look behind the scenes.

In "this economy," the truly rich don't need more money. We do, they don't. He doesn't need to buy "more of the company." He controls it already. He clearly brought Apple back from the brink a number of years ago, you can track its resurgence to his return to the company. Does he invent everything? No. Is he an effective manager? Obviously, yes. The dollar salary just makes his employment "legal." Many of the people at the top take a dollar for their services, not just him.

This whole thread is rather amusing. You folks are arguing over a really rich guy having not enough/too much money, and his motives. His life and lifestyle are beyond the ken of us mere mortals. After the first billion dollars, I'm sure your priorities change a bit.

Even Bill Gates is giving his money away (well, not ALL of it). After a certain point, how much more money do you need? Unless you are pathological, of course.

As to how he dresses, what do you folks care? Should he wear bespoke suits and handmade shoes? A bowler hat and a cane? Dress like Jar Jar Binks or Cheryl Crow or the King of England? He wears what he wants, because it probably makes him feel comfortable and, for him, there's no dress code. At the worst, he might dress this way to appear more "just folks."

You are all missing the point. He has succeeded beyond his wildest dreams. He has attained everything he ever wanted (except, maybe, nailing that cute blond he liked in 8th grade). What does he have to prove? He does what he does because he likes doing it. He likes controlling it. It's fun, because, when you have 1+ billion dollars, going to the mall and buying something kind of loses its thrill. He can buy whatever he wants. So his job gives him pleasure. It's NOT about the money.
    Senior

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mr117 For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (01-15-2011)

Since his salary is only $1. Does that mean he is not paying taxes? I'm sure he has income flowing in but is he reporting them?

What, is he SuperSteve, impervious to the evil rays of the TaxMan? Of course he pays taxes on his income, although the obscenely rich always manage to hire lobbyists to bribe politicians into making the tax code favor the obscenely rich. So, he probably has offsetting expenses that balance off income, but I'm sure he is filing a return.

If you want to look at it that way, type into Google "American corporations that pay no taxes" and see how corporations use tax laws to avoid paying any tax at all (and even get hundreds of millions refunded to them). Exxon paid no federal taxes in 2009.

(AP) Two-thirds of U.S. corporations paid no federal income taxes between 1998 and 2005, according to a new report from Congress.

The study by the Government Accountability Office, expected to be released Tuesday, said about 68 percent of foreign companies doing business in the U.S. avoided corporate taxes over the same period.

Collectively, the companies reported trillions of dollars in sales, according to GAO's estimate.

And you are worried about po' li'l Steve?
    Senior

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Wow. If you people think that taking a $1 yearly salary is anything more than a publicity stunt, or if u think he doesn't participate in a bonus program, or if you think he doesn't care about money.....you really need to wake up. lol.

He's just a genuine good ol' guy right? Except when it comes to owning up to his product failures. Then he just blames it all on the consumers. Yeah he's a shining leader by example of customer service!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The only thing I hate about apple and SJ is he keeps making stuff that I've gotta have!!
    Damn you apple, your gona bankrupt me!!

Corporate leaders taking a single dollar is not a publicity stunt. No one really hears about it, so where's the publicity? They do it to be on corporate boards or for other reasons. I'm sure Steve has plenty of stock, and if the price of the stock goes up, he makes money. At his level, making money is secondary. I doubt he's doing anything for money anymore. YOU do things for money, and it colors everything YOU do, because you don't have enough money. YOU are not him. What's he need the money for? He's out to leave his mark on society, not get richer.

No, he's NOT a good old guy. I previously said I think he's a "male member." Everything I've read about his behavior leads me to believe that is the case. But I do believe he's not in it for the money anymore.

And, again, what massive failures? My older son and I both have i4s and neither us has had any issues with them. We both had 3Gs's with no probs. We both had 3G's with no probs. He had a 2 with no probs (I still had my RAZR at that point). I've got, right now, an iPadWiFi, an iMac 24", my wife has a 15" Pro, we still have a 3rd Rev iSight iMac that my younger son uses, we had a Graphite iMac and a Green iMac before that, plus an iBook 10gb I bought in 2000 that I sold a year and a bit ago for $200 (it still worked fine). The Graphite iMac lost a HD, which I replaced for $100. The iMac 24" just lost a HD, which my AppleCare covered. The iSight had the display issue, and Apple replaced the display for free. Ten years of Mac use at a repair cost of $100. What massive failure rate? I bought a Honda Civic the first year it came out (the first year of the new style) and it got recalled three times. Things that are built sometimes have issues. But Apple, from my experience, is a good company that makes a good product. If it didn't, there wouldn't be so many iPhones out there, so many iPads, so many computers.

What massive failures?
    Senior

If he hadn't cashed in a single share and his salary has been only $13 for 13 years, he's been living on a whole other nest egg (Pixar?). I wonder how much that one has in it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    Corporate leaders taking a single dollar is not a publicity stunt. No one really hears about it, so where's the publicity? They do it to be on corporate boards or for other reasons. I'm sure Steve has plenty of stock, and if the price of the stock goes up, he makes money. At his level, making money is secondary. I doubt he's doing anything for money anymore. YOU do things for money, and it colors everything YOU do, because you don't have enough money. YOU are not him. What's he need the money for? He's out to leave his mark on society, not get richer.

No, he's NOT a good old guy. I previously said I think he's a "male member." Everything I've read about his behavior leads me to believe that is the case. But I do believe he's not in it for the money anymore.

And, again, what massive failures? My older son and I both have i4s and neither us has had any issues with them. We both had 3Gs's with no probs. We both had 3G's with no probs. He had a 2 with no probs (I still had my RAZR at that point). I've got, right now, an iPadWiFi, an iMac 24", my wife has a 15" Pro, we still have a 3rd Rev iSight iMac that my younger son uses, we had a Graphite iMac and a Green iMac before that, plus an iBook 10gb I bought in 2000 that I sold a year and a bit ago for $200 (it still worked fine). The Graphite iMac lost a HD, which I replaced for $100. The iMac 24" just lost a HD, which my AppleCare covered. The iSight had the display issue, and Apple replaced the display for free. Ten years of Mac use at a repair cost of $100. What massive failure rate? I bought a Honda Civic the first year it came out (the first year of the new style) and it got recalled three times. Things that are built sometimes have issues. But Apple, from my experience, is a good company that makes a good product. If it didn't, there wouldn't be so many iPhones out there, so many iPads, so many computers.

What massive failures?
    I hope you're right. I really do. Because from my point of view....as well as many other people. This most recent iPhone has had more problems than the previous 3G model I had. And it's not just the signal attenuation issue either. And the fact that he denied the problem was there for so long before finally admitting to it under increasing pressure gives me a very negative feeling about him and his company.

So once again I really do hope you are right. Because all of these consumer reporting companies and websites have Apple squarely centered on their radar. Any noticeable problems with their product and they will be all over it in a second. Comes with the territory of being such a popular company I guess.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast