Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac OS X 10.6.6 with New Mac App Store Now Available

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Mac OS X 10.6.6 with New Mac App Store Now Available

Apple's new Mac App Store is now open for business.

Despite reports Wednesday evening that Apple would not open the doors to its new Mac App Store until noon Thursday, the sun was not yet shining on the West Coast before Apple dropped Mac OS X 10.6.6 with the long-awaited, much-hyped Mac App Store. Right there with the new digital download destination is a host of nice bug fixes and other tweaks related to stability, compatibility, and security. Recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard, the Mac OS X 10.6.6 update is 114.8MB.

"With more than 1,000 apps, the Mac App Store is off to a great start," Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs says. "We think users are going to love this innovative new way to discover and buy their favorite apps."

Formally announced at Apple's October "Back to Mac" event, developers have been encouraged since late 2010 to design and submit their applications for inclusion to the forthcoming Mac App Store, which appears to place a great deal of emphasis on discovery. In addition to the promised one-click download and install functionality, it's easy to tell within the first minute of entertaining the new digital domain that Apple has made it simple and efficient to browse apps and find desirable content pertinent to one's interests. As anticipated, you can check out new and noteworthy apps, look at what’s hot, review staff favorites, peruse categories and, of course, read customer ratings and reviews. The Mac App Store logs all your downloaded apps and notifies you of free updates when available.

If you haven't gotten it already, the Mac OS X 10.6.6 update is available now from Apple. You can see the company's dedicated Mac App Store page by clicking here.

Apple
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 01-06-2011 at 08:44 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

turkey26 (01-06-2011)

I just ran my software update and wasn't paying attention to what was being updated. Kind of tripped me out when i noticed an app store icon in my dock..in a good way that is

Default purchases
    Does this mean that apps that i have purchased on iOS i get the mac version for free same as iPad and iPhone purchases or do you have to buy them again?

Well, I REALLY LIKE IT!!! Its fun, cheap, and very well laid out.

I haz Angry Birdz! HAHAHA! yes, it is a quite good app for the mac.

Twitter: @tshoults

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    Does this mean that apps that i have purchased on iOS i get the mac version for free same as iPad and iPhone purchases or do you have to buy them again?
    Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    No they wont be free if you have the iPhone version.
    I was wondering the same thing but I figured that Apple would make you re-purchase apps that you already owned. Since I'm at work, I have not had the chance to download and check the store out. For those who have already, how are the prices for the apps compared to the apps for the iOS devices [cheaper(LOL doubt it!), the same, or more expensive(I bet they are more expensive)].
    "Once is an accident, Twice is a trend, Three times is evidence."

Thanks
    Thanked 15,547 Times in 7,108 Posts

They are a bit more expensive so far, at least compared to the iPhone prices

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

I really don't like Apple now offering the components of iLife for sale individually. I never use garageband and don't use iMovie near as much as I used to. Add to that, the fact that iPhoto '11 is absolutely terrible and I regret updating, I would have been much more dismissing of it if it only cost me $14.99.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is this update region based ? I can't get any update except for the remote desktop application which I downloaded 20 minutes back. I run that software update manually too, but in vain
    I'm in India.

I dont understand why apple wouldnt offer apps that have been purchased on iOS devices free on mac. Why buy them more than once? Unless they are trying to say that iPad isnt a viable platform and not on par with other platforms which seems contradictory based on their normal stance.
    Last edited by Bunion; 01-06-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Just finished installing this and rebooting my mac...it's beautifully thought through...has any Jailbreakers tried syncing their idevices yet?

I kinda should've done a backup first...but was too eager to see how this works. Any issues yet with JB idevices?

Isn't there going to be 'jailbroken' equivalent apps somewhat like cydia is now for iPhone/iPad?

Working in Australia, also the iPhone 4 - 4.1 jailbroken no issues either.
    Internet killed the video star.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    I dont understand why apple wouldnt offer apps that have been purchased on iOS devices free on mac. Why buy them more than once? Unless they are trying to say that iPad isnt a viable platform and not on par with other platforms which seems contradictory based on their normal stance.
    It requires entirely different coding. How is this so hard for some of you to understand?

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (01-06-2011), moon#pie (01-06-2011), staterunner180 (01-06-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    It requires entirely different coding. How is this so hard for some of you to understand?
    Because not all of us are coders? Obvious really hence the question. Regardless of coding from a customers point of view they have purchased the app previously and shouldnt have to do the same on mac.

It cant be hard to re-compile or convert the app surely? I'm not a coder but i assume its not going to requre a total re-code.

Case in point - when you purchase a steam game on windows you get the mac version free and it works the other way around.
    Last edited by Bunion; 01-06-2011 at 09:22 AM.

No issue with my jb 3gs on 4.1

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcondemi View Post
    Isn't there going to be 'jailbroken' equivalent apps somewhat like cydia is now for iPhone/iPad?
    No... OSX is not "jailed" like iOS is. You are free to install anything from anywhere.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

h2a (01-06-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    No... OSX is not "jailed" like iOS is. You are free to install anything from anywhere.
    There will be Cydia for Mac.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (01-06-2011)

I'm actually really enjoying this... Nicely done, Apple!
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast