+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Select iTunes Movies Now Include Script Searching and Scene Sharing

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Select iTunes Movies Now Include Script Searching and Scene Sharing

In an effort to differentiate movie downloads from DVDs, Sony is quietly testing new iTunes Extras features. iTunes Extras was first introduced back in 2009 as a way for movie studios to include bonus features, usually found on DVDs, with digital downloads. Sony hopes to entice movie views into buying digital versions of their movies by including a search feature in some of their new releases.

PaidContent reports, ďA search button allows you to input a word, and any mention of it in the script will be retrieved along with a link to the exact moment in the movie in which the line was uttered. A ďclip & shareĒ function lets the viewer take select scenes and post them to social networks. Thereís also a playlist with songs from the film, which are linked to places on iTunes where those songs can be purchased.Ē

The first films to take advantage of these new features will be, The Other Guys, Salt and Resident Evil: Afterlife. Unfortunately, Apple TV owners who buy and/or rent movies will not have access to the new iTunes Extras features right away. Sony seems to be testing the waters and most likely will add these new features slowly and only to their top tier releases.

For the most part, iTunes Extras doesnít offer movie viewers much of what they canít already get on DVDís. It will be interesting to see if Sony and Apple can get people interested in searching and sharing movie clips with each other via social networks. Apple hasnít had much luck with social networking recently, if Ping is any indication.

If movie studios want to add new features to digital downloads, integrating IMDb (Internet Movie Database) information might be more useful to most people. I know when Iím watching a movie and want to know more about it, I just head over to IMDb.

Source: AppleInsider

Thanks

This actually seems like a smart idea, hats off to Sony and Apple
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

i'm a bit surprised they didn't call a press conference to announce that feature. haha

Green Apple
    Thanks

Seems almost pointless. It's pretty rare that I need to search a movie for a line. May be cool to upload clips but I'm not into the whole social networking thing as much as the next guy.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

I like this, but i never use itunes for movies except to wipe the phone down, the only time i open itunes in general.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 564 Posts

Many people may like this! However I do not rent movies in itunes or buy them either.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think it's a cool feature. There have been numerous times I've been looking for a quote or scene in a movie to share on Facebook or Twitter, and have had a hard time finding it. Is it a necessary feature? No, but it is something that some will love, while other will ignore.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    This actually seems like a smart idea, hats off to Sony and Apple
    i think it is too. i dont usually watch the extra features just bloopers, but i know many people that do and im sure they miss that function with digital downlaods
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!