+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad May Face Challenge from HTC 'Scribe'

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default iPad May Face Challenge from HTC 'Scribe'

HTC is getting ready to take aim at Apple's iPad with a new tablet product that, based on a new trademark filing, may be called the "Scribe." According to Bloomberg, the recent trademark filing from HTC describes the forthcoming device as "a handheld wireless device, namely, a tablet computer." While rumors of an HTC tablet have lingered since the company's CFO Cheng Hui-Ming stated in October that HTC is actively "studying the market," the latest news of the trademark filing is being taken as conclusive evidence that HTC is ready to do battle with Apple in the increasingly competitive tablet marketplace.

Despite initial rumors that HTC would roll out their tablet at the Consumer Electronics Show (beginning January 6th) or during the Mobile World Congress in February, it now appears that a mid 2011 launch is far more likely if not inevitable. Most industry analysts expect the HTC tablet to run Android 3.0 - aka Honeycomb. In this regard, HTC would be joining Motorola in preparing a new Android tablet that has also generated considerable buzz. Motorola recently made headlines when one of it's executives referred to the iPad as a "giant iPhone."

When HTC Corp., the world’s largest maker of mobile phones using Google Inc.’s Android operating system, formally announces its tablet computer, few will be surprised, as it now appears to be just a matter of time before the tablet is released and the world can take notice of just how many bells and whistles the "Scribe" will serve up at a yet-to-be-determined price.

Bloomberg

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (01-01-2011), ChaiMuengChuaySoh (01-01-2011), DaCodec (01-02-2011), Jahooba (01-01-2011), LEVMAN (12-31-2010), reaves205 (01-01-2011)

Thanks

Not another damn faildroid tablet

My iPhone is a Part of Me Silverado87's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah everyone we gear about is another company taking "AIM" and they all miss. Why don't they just stop lol

Thanks

Yawn...

I believe it is a challenge when I SEE it happening.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

The only thing that's come close to the iPad is the Samsung Galaxy, but even that hasn't done as well. Maybe HTC will actually make a good one that will up the competition.

Thanks

I'l believe it when I see it :] IPad has set the standard and not a 1 has even come close....
    I sold my iPad 64gb Wifi only model 2 months ago and recouped all but $90...now that's quality!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I wouldn't sell HTC short, their products getting better and better, have u played with an evo, they arnt bad phones, and android is definitely getting better

competition is good for the consumer

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stfudvs For This Useful Post:

jcbhome (01-01-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado87 View Post
    Yeah everyone we gear about is another company taking "AIM" and they all miss. Why don't they just stop lol
    they are hoping that the 2 million plus morons that bought the overprice itampon would buy their garbage too.
    Simple human tactics

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Haha, the reason that people aren't buying these other tablets is because everybody is used to the iPhone and iPod Touch. Apple has barely lost any consumers to another tablet.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The only thing that's gonna compete with the iPad is 2nd gen iPad....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

And then people will copy that too!

iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Thanks

Aren't the droid based tablets just GIANT DROID PHONES?? WTF. (typed on my giant iPhone)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to iSteed For This Useful Post:

metalmaster420 (01-01-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 14,748 Times in 6,859 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jordbrett View Post
    The only thing that's gonna compete with the iPad is 2nd gen iPad....
    +1 on that

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Why is it that every article for the past few days has been written by Messany?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    The only thing that's come close to the iPad is the Samsung Galaxy, but even that hasn't done as well. Maybe HTC will actually make a good one that will up the competition.
    oh please the ipad doesn't even come close to the galaxy tab, i can say that because i have them all. i dont even use my ipad & iphone4 anymore. why walk around with a big ipad and iphone? when i can use my galaxy tab with all and more features and it's more portable.now with my tab i have a phone and an ipad all in one device

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    oh please the ipad doesn't even come close to the galaxy tab, i can say that because i have them all. i dont even use my ipad & iphone4 anymore. why walk around with a big ipad and iphone? when i can use my galaxy tab with all and more features and it's more portable.now with my tab i have a phone and an ipad all in one device
    Yeah and it fits right in your pocket... if you're wearing size 50 cargo pants. My iphone4 is in my pocket, I don't have to lug a bookbag or purse or fanny pack around to carry it. And my retina display far outperforms yours. That's why I walk around with an iphone.

Anyway, I've had a few htc products in the past. They're a good company but a little bit hit or miss. They could definitely make a great tablet, but the question is will they?
    Last edited by clockworkengine; 12-31-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I didn't say anything about the actual tab, I was talking about sells alone, I could careless what the Galaxy actually does lol.

Green Apple
    Thanks

And yet someone else can explain the opposite of your opinion. Too big for a phone to lug around and yet too small for multimedia advantages like the ipad has. It appears to be stuck in no mans land.

And its always good see more tablets appearing in the market to boast more advantages for us consumers. But as of right now... no ipad killer yet.

Thanks

Droid still fighting a losing battle........

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I don't think it's a losing battle. Android really is coming along. These phones are only as good as their apps and the Android marketplace is catching up. A lot of apps that are on both platforms tend to be better on droid these days.