Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Looks To The Clouds For New iOS Devs

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Apple Looks To The Clouds For New iOS Devs

Apple is looking for a few good iOS developers to help expand the company's cloud-based offerings. This much can be derived from the two new job postings on Apple's website. The first posting says Apple "is hiring outstanding operations engineers to deliver and manage the next generation of hosted infrastructure serving Apple products and services." The other opening indicates that Apple needs "experienced software engineers to work on distributed computing for data with non-trivial properties, and efficient online services for data access."

Similar to past job postings at Apple that vaguely suggested the possibility of future products (like the iPad) and new services, there are, indeed, times when job listings effectively point to the mysterious projects and other top-secret efforts underway in the tech labs of Cupertino. Naturally, these latest postings (which quietly went live just before the Christmas holiday and are finally getting noticed) imply that Apple is getting serious about the long awaited cloud-based iTunes update.

More realistically, however, it seems Apple is running with the runaway growth of Apple TV and, as a result, is seeking qualified developers who can expand upon the features of the cloud-centric $99 device, which - according to Apple just this week - has now sold in excess of 1 million units during its first three months of availability.

Apple Job 1
    Apple Job 2

I hope we see a job listing related to WiFi syncing soon. I know I'm not going to use any streaming service from them when there's a million free ones.

Does anyone actually want a cloud service iTunes? Everyone I know hates the idea, so I don't get why apple is pressing it
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Does anyone actually want a cloud service iTunes? Everyone I know hates the idea, so I don't get why apple is pressing it
    Apart from buying Lala, Apple haven't hinted at a cloud based iTunes. But if MMi even sees the smallest reference to the word cloud they immediately cry iTunes Cloud!!! It almost as annoying as crying Verizon iPhone all the time.

meh, is there a new iPhone coming out, or new iPad, or new firware?

Well, did anyone look at the job posting?

Well for those not feeling like looking to see why this comes up.

Job Title: iOS Software Engineer

Apple is hiring experienced software engineers to work on distributed computing for data with non-trivial properties, and efficient online services for data access. This is an opportunity to contribute to the backend foundation for Apple products, devices and overall experience delivered to millions of Apple customers.
    Job title: iOS Software Engineer

Apple is hiring outstanding operations engineers to deliver and manage the next generation of hosted infrastructure serving Apple products and devices. Seize this ground floor opportunity to help us build the world's best hosted platforms at massive scale.
    Very hinted at some sort of cloud service. Job title includes iOS. And the "Seize this ground floor opportunity" hints at something new.

Bet a similar article will be on most of the other tech sites tomorrow.
    Last edited by Cer0; 12-29-2010 at 01:53 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGiola View Post
    I see Messany at the top and say, "unconfirmed rumor". Then I read the article. Funnily I'm always right...
    I understand that rumors get old, but there's no need to say stuff about the writer..

I wonder where Apple is going with this. I hope it's not a service we'll have to pay for.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (12-29-2010)

Nice picture
    Though we all look different on the outside, we all bleed the same on the inside

iPhone? More like MyPhone Team Infecti0n's Avatar
    Thanks

I wouldn't be surprised if iTunesCloud does debut any time soon. iTC would be great and would satisfy a good amount of customers. These tiny hints are worth seizing, as you never know... They don't have to say anything to surprise us so let's seize even the smallest fragments of clues, and get at least a partial idea if what will happen.  Messany.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Apart from buying Lala, Apple haven't hinted at a cloud based iTunes. But if MMi even sees the smallest reference to the word cloud they immediately cry iTunes Cloud!!! It almost as annoying as crying Verizon iPhone all the time.
    Yea i agree, i think that statement about the apple tv development makes more sense to me, i know they want to push that product and keep demand. I dont know if i want a cloud based itunes, i would cool to have all your music on your mac and stream to your phone, that i would like
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!