Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Prototype Macintosh Portable Available on eBay

Default Prototype Macintosh Portable Available on eBay

Another piece of Apple history is up for sale on eBay, a Macintosh Portable. This unit is a prototype and was not intended for resale. The Mac Portable was Apples first attempt at building a Mac that could be taken with you. There have been quite a few auctions recently offering historic Apple computers. If these auctions are any indication, then this unit should fetch more than its $1750 starting price.

According to the seller, “the label on the bottom notes that it is intended for demonstration purposes only and does not include the necessary certifications.” This Mac Portable is said to be an “absolutely mint, flawless, clean prototype.” Unfortunately, the unit does not turn on at the moment. This is probably due to the age of the unit’s lead acid battery.

This type of battery is not produced anymore and the Mac Portable will not boot without a functional battery. The Mac Portable was widely criticized at the time for its inability to boot up from an AC outlet without an installed battery. Workarounds for this are possible and whoever ends up with this unit will have to put in a little extra work in order to get this Mac Portable working again.

The Apple Macintosh Portable shares a similar architecture to the Mac SE, using a different housing and battery, of course. It was considered portable at the time, but at 16 pounds and 4 inches thick, you could hardly just throw one into a bag on your way to a coffee shop.

The Mac Portable was discontinued in October of 1991 and was soon replaced with something more recognizable by today’s standards, the PowerBook 100 series. Digging up a Macintosh Portable, is sort of like unearthing dinosaur bones; pretty cool to look at and have, but not really that useful in the modern world. Still, the fact that this early prototype is available on eBay will surely make some Mac fan a happy camper this holiday season.

Source: 9to5 Mac
    Last edited by Cer0; 12-28-2010 at 01:02 AM.

Why are so many old apple products being resold???

nope, wouldnt buy one.

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Hahahahaha, "16 lbs", that REALLY makes you think that the iPad is a welter weight!!! Even though mine seems to be very heavy at times. Wow!!! Imagine if the iPad weighed that much....and back then, that was the shizznit!!!

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Bring it to me, I can fix that...
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

I have one of these mint, but same problem of non functioning battery. Anybody got an idea what it might be worth?

Is there a method of fixing battery or replacing it? I'd love to see this machine in operation if only for the nostalgia!
    Last edited by khitomer; 12-28-2010 at 04:33 AM.

To me it's worth nothing....

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I am sure it was cool in its time...

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Quote Originally Posted by khitomer View Post
    I have one of these mint, but same problem of non functioning battery. Anybody got an idea what it might be worth?
    See how much there selling it on eBay then you can figure it out.

i would guess if you watch the auction it would give you a idea of what its worth..

Quote Originally Posted by khitomer View Post

Is it jailbreakable?

WTF...... I have seen similiar at pawn shops for like 100 and in good shape and non booting as well.

Time to go searching and ebaying.

Maybe as listed as prototype worth more but who knows.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theguyz View Post
    WTF...... I have seen similiar at pawn shops for like 100 and in good shape and non booting as well.

Time to go searching and ebaying.

Maybe as listed as prototype worth more but who knows.
    wat pawn shop do u go 2? i want in on that

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    To me it's worth nothing....
    Lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone yomommah's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley John Wright View Post
    This type of battery is not produced anymore and the Mac Portable will not boot without a fictional battery.
    so... how would someone go about getting/making an imaginary battery?
    better question, how did they have this technology way back when?
    rofl

Am I really the first to point out... "fictional battery"... Where "functional" Should be

xD

Quote Originally Posted by bren132409 View Post
    Am I really the first to point out... "fictional battery"... Where "functional" Should be

xD
    Well the post directly above yours was the first.

Quote Originally Posted by yomommah View Post
    so... how would someone go about getting/making an imaginary battery?
    better question, how did they have this technology way back when?
    rofl
    Fixed.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brandond View Post
    Why are so many old apple products being resold???
    My guess is that it is kinda like a fad right now. One person sold an old one and then another decided it was time for theirs too
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Quote Originally Posted by EskimoRuler View Post
    My guess is that it is kinda like a fad right now. One person sold an old one and then another decided it was time for theirs too
    Yea, it could be