+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iDevices Now Welcome on Capitol Hill

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default iDevices Now Welcome on Capitol Hill

As a new Congress prepares to assume power in Washington, a longstanding restriction is about to be lifted in the hallowed chambers. For the first time, iDevices will be allowed for use on the floor of the US House of Representatives. If the new rule is adopted - and it's expected to be adopted at the start of the 112th Congress - members would, however, be required to silence their iPhones, BlackBerrys, iPads, iPods and other mobile phones, tablets, and portable electronics while "at work."

The rule that would be effectively "overturned" is the longstanding tradition of prohibiting into the chambers anything “that impairs decorum.” Of course, if that rule were actually enforced, none of the congressional members would be allowed in the building to begin with. So, instead, mobile devices and other signs of life in the 21st century have been banished - that is, until now.

According to the New York Times, there are reasons to believe that such a development could lead to positive results:

There are two ways of looking at the development. On the one hand, the change could allow lawmakers the kind of instant access to information that would help their decision-making. Their advisers could send them important messages even as they speak. And, especially with the iPad’s bigger screen, lawmakers could abandon the paper copies of bills in favor of electronic versions.
    On the other hand, however, we could see more members of Congress doing at work what many of us do at work - play games, tweet, check Facebook, shop, or just goof around when there is actually serious business to attend to. More likely, though, they will use their mobile devices to tune into C-Span to see if their good sides are being adequately captured.

New York Times

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (12-29-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Oh yes.....because iDevices are SO secure right?

And if the network decided to take a sh!t, they'll wish they had those paper copies of their documents

Thanks

Great!!!!!give congress more reasons not to do their job.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Oh yes.....because iDevices are SO secure right?

And if the network decided to take a sh!t, they'll wish they had those paper copies of their documents
    I guess they can be if you want them too. And obviously they have wifi in the building, so network wouldnt be a problem.... Unless they dont have wifi.... Which is a whole other bowl of hallupa.... (Yes that word is made up).

I think its better than having all android devices, which are usually less secure for privacy than iOS, you know that whole thing on stevie wont let developers have info.... And it all being connected to google conspiracy theroies.... google being evil... blah blah blah.....

Just my million cents... Might not be right though...
    Username is 3GS, but theres stuff past that:

iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

Green Apple
    Thanks

@Rico seems very angry!?

I think it's a step in the right direction. If for some reason the electronic copy goes bad on their iPad than can just use their iPhone to call their assistant (which they are having an affair with) to being a hard copy.

Thanks

Removal of this rule will cause excessive laziness.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Look at the screen of the iPad in the pic, it's asking him to join a wifi network. LOL!
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

Wonder if they would jailbreak their idevices

iPhone? More like MyPhone sucram6791's Avatar
    Thanks

ipad take over starting at the top

Thanks
    Thanked 9,621 Times in 5,899 Posts

It just makes sense, hope they adopt and pass it.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Who's bringing in an iPod to the HOR?? No wonder things are off with our government..

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Ughhh... Getting rid of paper documents, especially when pertaining to important documents, is not the wisest course of action.

Didn't anyone ever watch Dark Angel? If catastrophe occurs, we need hardcopies. I just hope they'll keep hardcopies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
    Ughhh... Getting rid of paper documents, especially when pertaining to important documents, is not the wisest course of action.

Didn't anyone ever watch Dark Angel? If catastrophe occurs, we need hardcopies. I just hope they'll keep hardcopies.

Don't worry, this is just the writer's idea. I'm sure they're not actually going to do that for a long time, especially since they had to overturn a rule for them to even be allowed in the building.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Don't worry, this is just the writer's idea. I'm sure they're not actually going to do that for a long time, especially since they had to overturn a rule for them to even be allowed in the building.
    Good call. But even after a 'long time', they should never get rid of em. Imagine if the Rosetta Stone wasn't on a stone, but an SSD. never woulda gotten to us. You are right, though. We're very far from that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    "The rule that would be effectively "overturned" is the longstanding tradition of prohibiting into the chambers anything “that impairs decorum.” Of course, if that rule were actually enforced, none of the congressional members would be allowed in the building to begin with."

LMAO. Well put.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    They're supposed to be changing laws that affect the whole country and they're being allowed having smartphones while in session? Don't agree

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by furcioelbraveado View Post
    They're supposed to be changing laws that affect the whole country and they're being allowed having smartphones while in session? Don't agree
    Hell, with the stuff they're passing now we'd be better off with them screwing with Angry Birds instead of the country.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

oh please, get the necessary information, almost all of them already know what side they are going to vote for on matters, our whole system is so corrupt like that. they do what their party wants and not what the people for whom they represent want

i just hate politics
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Do the taxpayers pay for Congress' salaries? I'd hate to think my tax dollars are going to Mr. Congressman who spends 6 hours playing Angry Birds and about 27 minutes actually discussing Congressional mumbo jumbo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Do the taxpayers pay for Congress' salaries? I'd hate to think my tax dollars are going to Mr. Congressman who spends 6 hours playing Angry Birds and about 27 minutes actually discussing Congressional mumbo jumbo.
    What do you think? If the government pays them (the only logical payer) their salary, the taxpayers do because the gov't doesn't make their own money. I don't mean to come off as a mean a-hole lol