Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google TV Reeling from Dismal Sales, Apple TV Popularity

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Google TV Reeling from Dismal Sales, Apple TV Popularity

Those who suspected Google TV would blow Apple TV out of the water are effectively eating their words on the heels of news that Apple TV has thumped Google TV to such an extent that the product, it's makers, and suppliers are reeling from the platform's less than stellar sales.

According to DigiTimes, Logitech has ceased shipments of its Revue Google TV boxes for the time being, awaiting Google's software update. The report notes that Logitech's supplier, Gigabyte Technology, has suffered financial setbacks due to the halted distribution. The situation, however, isn't likely to improve for some time as Google may not issue the software update until late winter or early spring.

Despite high hopes, sales of Google TV have largely fallen flat according to industry and analyst estimates, a reality addressed by Sony's own decision to reduce the price of its branded Google TV product. There are also reports that efforts are underway to conceal the Google TV branding until the brand's image improves. Google, in fact, is rumored to have suggested to its various licensees that it may be wise to hide their Google TV-based set top boxes at January's CES.

Sales of Apple TV, on the other hand, have been consistent and impressive, with one million units sold to date. According to Apple, the $99 Apple TV - which lets users watch HD movies, TV shows, and stream content from Netflix, YouTube, Flickr and MobileMe - has exploded to such a degree that users are now renting and purchasing over 400,000 TV episodes and over 150,000 movies per day.

Digitimes

Thanks

This is exactly what Steve Jobs said would happen while on stage at the All Things Digital conference last year.

But doesn't the Google TV have more features?

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    But doesn't the Google TV have more features?
    Yes it does and with that comes a $250 price tag.

People need to stop doubting my boy Steve... when it comes to this tech game, he knows which cards to play...as ricky bobby would say... "he's a winner Chip"!

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope that ATV2 gets some more features. I have ATV Flash Black on it, so that will hold me for a while.
    I do love the Kevin Bacon playing a Kevin Bacon fan commercials! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Yes it does and with that comes a $250 price tag.
    That makes sense. I don't really get the point of apps on a TV though. If you're at home, why wouldn't you want to use your laptop instead of mobile apps?

iPhone? More like MyPhone ro0oney's Avatar
    Thanks

based on the pic, is google cooperating with sony to produce their own googleTV ?

i own a ATV2 and rarely use it...still like it for its price

I have an Apple TV, NOT impressed of it but for the 99$ price tag it is worth the nice price! And I would LOVE to have an Google TV.

My blu ray player does all that... Don't see the point in Apple TV... or Google TV

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    I hope that ATV2 gets some more features. I have ATV Flash Black on it, so that will hold me for a while.
    I do love the Kevin Bacon playing a Kevin Bacon fan commercials! LOL
    Yeah, that is by far one of my favorite commercials in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

I haven't found a reason to buy it yet, but as for the guy who said why not use a laptop if your at home? These sets are alot less expensive then a decent laptop so for someone who just watches YouTube and stuff then a 99$ device that can stream YouTube to a tv for a while famiy to enjoy a video is cool. To the people who own one, what is your favorite and most used feature?

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    That makes sense. I don't really get the point of apps on a TV though. If you're at home, why wouldn't you want to use your laptop instead of mobile apps?
    If I'm at home I don't want to watch all my video content on a computer monitor. I want to watch it on my 60" HDTV. That's the whole point of an Apple "TV".

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Muslim khan (12-29-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    If I'm at home I don't want to watch all my video content on a computer monitor. I want to watch it on my 60" HDTV. That's the whole point of an Apple "TV".
    I didn't say the ATV was useless, I said the apps on the GTV…

Quote Originally Posted by Aliquippakid View Post
    I haven't found a reason to buy it yet, but as for the guy who said why not use a laptop if your at home? These sets are alot less expensive then a decent laptop so for someone who just watches YouTube and stuff then a 99$ device that can stream YouTube to a tv for a while famiy to enjoy a video is cool. To the people who own one, what is your favorite and most used feature?
    My most used feature is airplay.
    I also have ps3 and wii; it' much more enjoyable to use atv2 than ps3 to access Netflix, YouTube.

Thanks

Plex is by far my most used.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Really? 400,000 TV episodes are being rented! Has any of those people ever heard of basic cable? a DVR for that matter? Has anyone ever heard of auto record? Lolz $99 to replace your channels into apps... Amazing

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Roku ftw

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluprint View Post
    Really? 400,000 TV episodes are being rented! Has any of those people ever heard of basic cable? a DVR for that matter? Has anyone ever heard of auto record? Lolz $99 to replace your channels into apps... Amazing
    Hell, a combination of hulu+ and netflix covers the large majority of what I want to watch outside of sports. Newsgroups handles all the rest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast