Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google TV Reeling from Dismal Sales, Apple TV Popularity

No surprise here it was rushed for the holiday season. Its what goodle gets for using its customers as live beta testers.

Almost all reviews said it was not ready for prime time, and at $300 well they simply could not sell the cost.

Hopefully, this will come back.

Quote Originally Posted by jcal08 View Post
    People need to stop doubting my boy Steve... when it comes to this tech game, he knows which cards to play...as ricky bobby would say... "he's a winner Chip"!
    I completely agree. Folks just need to stop hating and just respect that Apple is a very smart company. Everything is done for purpose and by design.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleyeSmith View Post
    I completely agree. Folks just need to stop hating and just respect that Apple is a very smart company. Everything is done for purpose and by design.
    You make Steve sound like God.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zokunei For This Useful Post:

TheOrioles33 (12-25-2010)

I actually love my Logitech Revue, but there are some critical problems that need to addressed ASAP. 1) It needs to be able to communicate with your DVR or, at the very least, your online DVR management. If it's not aware of what you have recorded, and can't directly schedule recordings, it's TV usefulness is seriously limited. 2) It absolutely has to hit the $100 price point, or $150 at the high end. Personally, the DVR integration is a big enough deal that I'm switching from U-Verse to Dish. With that ironed out, GoogleTV will be epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    He is in the technical and digital realm.

And as far as Gods go, at least he's real and you can touch him.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple TV is making a comeback!

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
    He is in the technical and digital realm.

And as far as Gods go, at least he's real and you can touch him.
    Please don't say offensive things that start off topic flame wars.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Apple TV is making a comeback!
    Yea it debuted as a flop before ppl were like appletv? Now ppl are like appletv!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff? thats like saying you can't slap your girlfriend, she's your girlfriend, you own her, you can do what you want to her lol

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Yes it does and with that comes a $250 price tag.
    Which is only half the problem.

The other half is that it's not simply plug and play.

Google TV provides a much better "technology" and solves a real problem (easily finding content on cable, for example) but it's not something anyone can just plug in and use.

Google TV is something best suited for set-top box integration or enthusiasts until there is a way to integrate it into an existing environment easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluprint View Post
    Really? 400,000 TV episodes are being rented! Has any of those people ever heard of basic cable? a DVR for that matter? Has anyone ever heard of auto record? Lolz $99 to replace your channels into apps... Amazing
    This is what you fail to understand. It's NOT about replacing your channels with apps. Apps have NOTHING to do with it. It's about what it's ALWAYS been about, instant gratification.

With Cable I might be able to see what I want, sometime, hopefully now, IF I can find it on now, or maybe later... did I record it? Hmm, how do I get to that on demand section on Cable? Etc, etc. It's a challege.

With Netflix and Hulu I get it now and with AppleTV (or HTPCs, or PS3s, etc etc) I get it now and easily. Instant gratification.

Something the Cable Companies better understand quick or die.
    Last edited by santiagodraco; 12-26-2010 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by santiagodraco View Post
    ...did I record it? Hmm, how do I get to that on demand section on Cable? Etc, etc. It's a challenge.
    Sorry, but who in the hell is that a challenge to? Every cable remote I've seen has a dedicated button (usually one of the biggest, right in the middle of the remote). Not to mention the cable package I have has on demand as channel one. There's also a "list" button on my remote with all the recorded programs. I'm sorry, but I don't get how cable is a "challenge".

Thanks

iTV and GoodleTV are both ghey in my opinion. They don't DO anything. I run a G5 to my TV. HUNDREDS of movies. THOUSANDS of songs. And a full computer that can be controlled via wireless mouse from my couch, PROFICIENTLY. Something the Sony GoogleTVs FAIL at sooooo bad. Those PS controller looking remotes are pieces of totally unusable sh!t. iTV is crap IMO because it requires a jailbreak to stream MY video collection, all because Steve wants a few bucks from me. It's locked down, has a LAME HD, and basically zero features. (What? Music pictures and movie rentals?) CoughNetflixCoughXboxCough. Between my G5, Xbox, PC and PS3, if iTV or GoogleTV wants a spot in my house, they'd better learn to give me tugjobs and cook breakfast.
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yeah well not all of us pirate everything.
    Even if you did buy all these so-called hundreds of films and thousands of songs, not all of us are rich trolls with nothing better to do with our lives.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Really? He said Apple is a very smart firm and what they do is done with purpose and design in mind and you think he's making SJ sound like God? Do you really dislike Apple so much that anything positive said about them must be fanboyism?

The guy is right, Apple is a smart firm. Whether you like their products or not doesn't really matter. They thrive at the moment so you can't really question their ways.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

luvmytj (12-26-2010)

Thanks

Don't hate, princess. Ain't nothin "so-called" about em. And you say I have nothing better to do because you don't have em. If you did, you'd like it. I'm not rich. Just a hard workin dude with a GED. And I'm not trollin. Just stating my personal opinion on two devices I think are total trash. MY opinion. Not yours.

Meanwhile, isn't there a queen for you to save? Tea to drink? Crumpets to do whatever it is you do with crumpets?

^That's trollin, baby girl.
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post
    iTV and GoodleTV are both ghey in my opinion. They don't DO anything. I run a G5 to my TV. HUNDREDS of movies. THOUSANDS of songs. And a full computer that can be controlled via wireless mouse from my couch, PROFICIENTLY. Something the Sony GoogleTVs FAIL at sooooo bad. Those PS controller looking remotes are pieces of totally unusable sh!t. iTV is crap IMO because it requires a jailbreak to stream MY video collection, all because Steve wants a few bucks from me. It's locked down, has a LAME HD, and basically zero features. (What? Music pictures and movie rentals?) CoughNetflixCoughXboxCough. Between my G5, Xbox, PC and PS3, if iTV or GoogleTV wants a spot in my house, they'd better learn to give me tugjobs and cook breakfast.
    You're still the same old ignoramus, I see. You argue that the ATV and GoogleTV are both bad devices, but then explain that the electronics in your house collectively out perform both of the devices in question. Well, duh! You have 4 different devices with a combined value of at least $2,000 so of course the ATV2 and GoogleTV would be of little appeal to you. Please clean up your language, if you want to be taken at least somewhat serious.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

steve-z17 (12-26-2010)

Maybe it's cause outside of MMi, I've never heard of the Google TV, but I hear about the Apple TV all the time. It's all about marketing
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Strange, this is the first I've really heard of Google TV. I may have heard it mentioned a couple times, but I didn't know it was out to market (and I have about 20 tech sites as my homepage RSS feed through iGoogle). Maybe that's the problem - people don't know about it.

Either way, Apple TV sales are pretty dismal, too. It seems like Google mistakenly thought there was money in this field. I only feel sorry for Gigabyte in all this, they're a good company, but even then my sympathy only goes so far for such a risky move.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    My blu ray player does all that... Don't see the point in Apple TV... or Google TV
    Media Players DO NOT do everything an ATV can do. Most players like that are limited to 3 or 4 things. I have a Sony BR player that only does YT, NF, and Slacker. An ATV has many more options, plus connects to all of my computers on my network. ATV wins hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Hell, a combination of hulu+ and netflix covers the large majority of what I want to watch outside of sports. Newsgroups handles all the rest.
    I use mine all the time and I havent rented anything yet. With Hulu, Netflix, Plex, YT, etc. who needs to?
    Last edited by luvmytj; 12-26-2010 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Really? He said Apple is a very smart firm and what they do is done with purpose and design in mind and you think he's making SJ sound like God? Do you really dislike Apple so much that anything positive said about them must be fanboyism?

The guy is right, Apple is a smart firm. Whether you like their products or not doesn't really matter. They thrive at the moment so you can't really question their ways.
    Loosen up buddy, it was a joke. I just thought that how he said "everything is done by purpose and design" was something people also say about God.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Either way, Apple TV sales are pretty dismal, too. It seems like Google mistakenly thought there was money in this field. I only feel sorry for Gigabyte in all this, they're a good company, but even then my sympathy only goes so far for such a risky move.
    Umm, they just past the million units sold mark. How is that dismal?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast