+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AirFlick Streams Video from Mac To Apple TV Without iTunes

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default AirFlick Streams Video from Mac To Apple TV Without iTunes

Erica Sadum has just released AirFlick for Mac OS X. AirFlick allows you to stream video files from a Mac to an Apple TV (2nd gen) without having to go through iTunes. The most exciting aspect of this new app is its ability to stream content from websites directly to an Apple TV. Currently, only compatible video formats can be streamed, but as this app matures, more file formats will surely be added. AirFlick is currently available for download, but it is still very early in its development and carries a 0.01 version number. Itís still worth a look though, even if it does have a few bugs that need ironing out.

AirFlick runs in a small window on your desktop and its interface is very straightforward. Simply drag a video file or URL into the text field, then select Apple TV from the pull down menu and video should start playing most of the time. Because this is such an early release, however, videos donít always stream the first time around. Reloading the video will usually fix this problem.

With so many developers working on new ways to stream content from one device to another, Iím sure that one day soon, steaming movies will be taken for granted. For now, however, this is one Mac program that everyone should be keeping an eye on. Hopefully, someone will figure out a way to get Hulu and other video websites onto our Apple TVís, without having to pay extra for the privilege. If all goes well, 2011 will be the year that video streaming goes mainstream and becomes more than just a hobby.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOrn3aoc8yo&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - AirFlick Demo[/ame]

Source: MacRumors

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Good idea. Can't wait to see on-fly conversions. Right now I am ok with having iTunes open. Not bothering me but I know others wish to not have to use iTunes to stream.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Erica.....you **** rock girl
    Last edited by Cer0; 12-21-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: languagex2

Thanks

Doesn't work for me at the moment, get an error on my Apple TV2. Just going to wait for improvements its a sweet app...
    If you want it, get it, no matter the risk, y only live once, and gadgets are replaceable.....
    iMac 2.8GHz i7 12GB Ram, MacBook Pro 13", MacBook Air, Cinema Display 30" iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, ATV2

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool, sounds like this app will only get better and better!

Thanks

It's great to see the ladies getting down and was wondering if it will support gaming now that would be awesome thanks.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I still have to use my PS3 to stream Hulu, Netflix, and all my mkv, avi and alternate video files thru PS3 Media Server. Until my AppleTV2 gains all this functionality it's pretty much a paper weight for me. Development has been slower than expected I think.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Erica, want to marry me?
    Last edited by javiert30; 12-21-2010 at 10:22 PM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I still have to use my PS3 to stream Hulu, Netflix, and all my mkv, avi and alternate video files thru PS3 Media Server. Until my AppleTV2 gains all this functionality it's pretty much a paper weight for me. Development has been slower than expected I think.
    That sucks to hear! I guess I am going to be getting for from my wife at Xmas.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Her new thing that I heard about can send airplay to a linux box or XMBC. Which is awesome for those without AppleTV and only a media center pc.

Can't find the story on it now. Maybe it was a dream but could have swore I read it this afternoon.
    Last edited by Cer0; 12-21-2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Erica is awesome, these apps are great
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

is it works for apple tv first gen? if yes why my one not searching ATV.