+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Buys FLO TV Spectrum to Help Push 4G Network Along

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
In early 2010, reports first surfaced that AT&T was interested in acquiring Qualcomm's FLO TV spectrum. On Monday, AT&T - the exclusive carrier of Apple's iPhone in the United States
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default AT&T Buys FLO TV Spectrum to Help Push 4G Network Along

In early 2010, reports first surfaced that AT&T was interested in acquiring Qualcomm's FLO TV spectrum. On Monday, AT&T - the exclusive carrier of Apple's iPhone in the United States - announced that the purchase is a done deal, although the transaction is subject to regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions. AT&T anticipates closing the sale during the second half of 2011.

Qualcomm is selling the wireless spectrum licenses in the Lower 700 MHz frequency band to AT&T for $1.92 billion. The result for AT&T is the ability of the wireless carrier to accelerate its 4G network plans. According to AT&T:

As part of its longer-term 4G network plans, AT&T intends to deploy this spectrum as supplemental downlink, using carrier aggregation technology. This technology is designed to deliver substantial capacity gains and is expected to be enabled with the completion of 3GPP Release 10. AT&T expects to begin deploying this spectrum once compatible handsets and network equipment are developed.
    As a consequence of the deal, FLO TV will effectively go under in March 2011 - a reality many expected and thought wise since October when Qualcomm publicly stated it would suspend sales of devices for FLO TV. "FLO TV has been a thorn in investors' sides for a long time," Bernstein analyst Stacy Rasgon told the Wall Street Journal, noting that Qualcomm has nothing to be ashamed of (it made a return on its investment of roughly $700 million for the spectrum). "I'm glad to see them get out of it."

Wall Street Journal

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

is FLOTV dead?

Thanks

Is this even real 4g????
    There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all.~Peter F. Drucker

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ajones330 View Post
    Is this even real 4g????
    Technically nothing that exists today is real 4G.
    The definition of 4G includes speeds around 100MBS. Verizon is calling LTE 4G because it is the next generation. T-Maybe is calling their network 4G and it is the EXACT SAME network as AT&T. IMO this is t-mobile saying "the general public is too stupid to know the difference so we will just call our network 4G"

Green Apple
    Thanks
    4g next year let see

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akosko01 View Post
    The definition of 4G includes speeds around 100MBS. Verizon is calling LTE 4G because it is the next generation. T-Maybe is calling their network 4G and it is the EXACT SAME network as AT&T. IMO this is t-mobile saying "the general public is too stupid to know the difference so we will just call our network 4G"
    I was wondering if t-mobiles network was actually 4G. I don't have knowledge of what makes a network 4G so I wasn't sure
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akosko01 View Post
    ITU just caved to advertising pressure, and is now saying that hspa+ counts as 4G (along with what verizon and sprint were claiming to be 4G). WTF? Oh well, looks like AT&T now has the largest 4G network... Guess I'll get prepared for an icon update and marketing blitz, along with plenty of questions from my non-techie friends.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What is sprint then with its first 4G phone? I didnt know this either and I am an above average user so their marketing is working well.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

technically "4g" stands for 4th generation technology. So even though there are 4g parameters of 100 mbs any new radio transmission technology that is not EVDO (Verizon and Sprint) or HSPA (AT&T and T-Mobile) is technically 4g. So Sprints new WIMAX is 4G even though it only has speeds of around 20 mbs if your lucky

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yes just the name is !!!!!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

So when are we going to see the next round of Verizon vs AT@T commercials? Lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I like the new commercials that say "AT&T- America's fastest mobile broadband Period"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turdsmoka View Post
    is FLOTV dead?
    Yes. They killed it off.

In consideration of the FLO TV service ending on
    March 27, 2011 we are offering a rebate on FLO TV devices.
    Source: On FLO TV

ADF
    Green Apple
    Thanks

That's great!! A crappy company buys another crappy companies spectrum.
    This message was K1NG approved.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    So when are we going to see the next round of Verizon vs AT@T commercials? Lol
    Lol, let's hope soon!

Movin' right along with 4G

Green Apple
    Thanks

They don't even have real 3G. How are they going to have 4G

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    ITU just caved to advertising pressure, and is now saying that hspa+ counts as 4G (along with what verizon and sprint were claiming to be 4G). WTF? Oh well, looks like AT&T now has the largest 4G network... Guess I'll get prepared for an icon update and marketing blitz, along with plenty of questions from my non-techie friends.
    AT&T is getting away from referring to "g's" because it is confusing the consumer. Especially when all the other carriers are calling 3 different technologies and speeds 4G.