+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Greenwich Apple Store Robbed and Ransacked

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by Pat353 So some of you are justifying robbing a place because you feel the products are expensive? Really!? You gotta love that sense of entitlement though, right?
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pat353 View Post
    So some of you are justifying robbing a place because you feel the products are expensive? Really!?
    You gotta love that sense of entitlement though, right? Champion stuff.

Thanks
    Well i think the term 'overpriced ' doesn't fit here.
    Ppl buy the products, otherwize they wouldn't rob it lol.
    Yes they re expensive, but not overpriced!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

lol there is no metal cage to protect the glass at night? some genious at apple thinking glass will protect the store from robbers at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicsky View Post
    lol you joking right. an unlocked 32gb iphone4 is like one of the most expensive smart phones right now. and it is not worth $800
    Last edited by trigun989; 12-15-2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I live about 20 or 30 minutes from there too! Pretty brazen I must say... 10's of thousands, hell that could be $90,000!!!

Thanks

"tens of thousands of dollars"
    So they stole 5 computers and an iphone?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    Everyone is missing the hole picture here... stealing is not right no matter what it costs or how bad you want it. Stealing takes away from businesses... and hurts the people employed.

Also when Robberies take place like this it can ruin a area because people tend to be frightened of things like this...

One word... work hard, save your money and buy your Apple products... you will appreciate them after you have earned them and be proud you did!
    Or you can be like Apple. Let everyone else work hard and steal there ideas and make billions. Thats the American way. Every really successful business does this.

Quote Originally Posted by trigun989 View Post
    lol there is no metal cage to protect the glass at night? some genious at apple thinking glass will protect the store from robbers at night.

lol you joking right. an unlocked 32gb iphone4 is like one of the most expensive smart phones right now. and it is not worth $800
    Thats Apple's ego. Who would rob from us?

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicsky View Post
    Are you kidding? Everything we buy in this country is overpriced.
    Last edited by vindutch; 12-15-2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. The Following User Says Thank You to vindutch For This Useful Post:

TheReliq (12-15-2010)

Thanks

A lot of you are really stupid. Tens of thousands of dollars can be anywhere from $10,001 to $99,999.99

And from some of the surveillance footage I saw in another site, it was 5 people that broke into the place. If you've been to an Apple Store, you can see that they have dozens of MacBooks, iMacs, Mac Pros, iPads, iPhones, and iPods on display alone.

Just on notebooks alone, there can be anywhere between 20-30 on display. MacBooks range from $999 to $2700+. So lets say it's an average of $1500 x 20 notebooks, that's $30k right there, if each of the burglars snatched up 4 notebooks. Now we all know that anyone can carry more than 4 MacBooks if we really wanted to steal them.

Lastly, you think Apple/Steve is sweating this break-in? I can guarantee you insurance will cover the theft and damages.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by T0X1CAT3D View Post
    I think you're on something now dude
    iFort, genius dude, guess that's a start for helping the military with bunkers???
    SHHH... Steve will hire a hitman if you keep talking about it!

The iFort will be released in conjunction with iRepo. iRepo is what Apple will do when some jackass who buys one of these stolen goods tries to register their iWhatever. It'll be so magical, and just work.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    SHHH... Steve will hire a hitman if you keep talking about it!

The iFort will be released in conjunction with iRepo. iRepo is what Apple will do when some jackass who buys one of these stolen goods tries to register their iWhatever. It'll be so magical, and just work.
    No, it will be the poor sap who buys it on ebay or craigs list.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vindutch View Post
    No, it will be the poor sap who buys it on ebay or craigs list.
    With eBay there's a paper trail, so you can establish who the thief is, maybe they're that dumb, but I doubt it. They chose to rob Apple, not a Jewelry store, so they already know how to target what will sell fast.

As for Craigslist... There's an adage for that: If it's too good to be true...
    It's where you are.

Thanks

With eBay there's a paper trail, so you can establish who the thief is, maybe they're that dumb, but I doubt it. They chose to rob Apple, not a Jewelry store, so they already know how to target what will sell fast.

As for Craigslist... There's an adage for that: If it's too good to be true...
    Youv'e got a point there.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Looks like they need to start using gorilla glass to build the stores instead of the phones.

Green Apple
    Thanks

A couple of salient points:
    1) As long as there are items that have value in the marketplace, there will always be individuals who desire to steal them. This issue isn't specific to Apple.
    2) As a risk/reward measure, I'm sure Apple has weighed adding security to its stores and decided to keep the retail experience free of negative influences. Apple has the highest revenue/square foot ratio of any other retail store -- in the world. People flock to Apple stores because of the experience. Once you cheapen the experience by adding gates, bars, et cetera, you dilute your selling potential because the customers can feel that the store does not trust them. This is part of the genius of the Apple retail stores -- make the customer feel like they are special. The Apple retail experience has not been duplicated, although many have tried/are trying to. The actual financial risk exposure from theft is extremely low, and I bet that Apple has one of the lowest retail loss rates. Its all a function of the way that Apple makes the retail customer feel.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Dam, that just sucks, should at least put all the stuff that they let people test away.

Thanks
    They'll start adding roll-down steel doors behind the glass...
    I doubt apple would use steel, they're focused on looks. They'll probably use glass... or a lot of iPads.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Lol that's what happens when your idea of a sale is just $30-$50 off a MacBook

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanski View Post
    I doubt apple would use steel, they're focused on looks. They'll probably use glass... or a lot of iPads.
    Glass behind glass, that could be interesting, but ultimately useless as a security measure.

Fused iPads could make an interesting statement, lol.

But the roll-down part is key to the look. They can conceal the rolls in the ceiling, which would go almost completely unnoticed by customers. For added "looks" while the fancy garage doors are down, they can have special blinds that are painted to look like the inside of the store come down.

Of course, this method will not work on all locations, as the glass is so prevalent that there's no place to hide the moving walls. This is also completely unnecessary in mall locations, since there are usually guards and locks on the mall itself.

This way, the stores look "Apple," yet still add some deference to thieves.
    It's where you are.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's just an insurance claim. Apple could probably care less about a couple of stores getting knocked off...

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanski View Post
    Glass would be fine. They use glass in banks and you are not breaking it unless you drive through the front door.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Glass would be fine. They use glass in banks and you are not breaking it unless you drive through the front door.
    Banks also have giant metal vaults too. I'm sure there's zero money on the floor after they close. Otherwise people would drive through, lol. They do it for ATMs, I'm sure bank registers hold more cash.
    It's where you are.