+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Movie Quality Graphics Chipmaker Joins The Apple Family

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
An important partner in the so-called "Apple Family" - Imagination, a firm that cranks out the PowerVR SGX graphics processor housed in iOS devices - has been doing some holiday
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Movie Quality Graphics Chipmaker Joins The Apple Family

An important partner in the so-called "Apple Family" - Imagination, a firm that cranks out the PowerVR SGX graphics processor housed in iOS devices - has been doing some holiday shopping it seems. According to an announcement on Tuesday morning from Imagination, the company has acquired a successful firm capable of producing movie quality graphics.

As of June 2010, Apple controls a 9.5% stake in Imagination.

Imagination Technologies has officially acquired Caustic Graphics for $27 million, according to a report from Reuters. Caustic Graphics is well known for its advanced ray tracing technologies, like the ability to render 3D graphics with sophisticated lighting models that lend to a real life, cinema-caliber appearance. According to Hossein Yassaie, chief executive of Imagination, "Ray tracing is a key additional technology that traditionally has been regarded as the exclusive domain of specialized markets and non real-time applications. We intend to change that.

Consequently, it's a logical assumption - if not a safe bet - that the impressive advancements made by Caustic Graphics will be employed by Imagination, likely with regard to future work with Apple. Real-time ray tracing graphics technology coming to iOS devices would be a significant development and one that both Imagination and Apple must already be contemplating. It should be noted, however, that neither Imagination or Caustic Graphics referenced Apple in their formal announcement.

Imagination

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

just visited there website and it seems there offering HD, or should I say - movie quality graphics - but with little to no battery life consumption. 2 words - Very Nice.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to athleticswimmer For This Useful Post:

feidhlim1986 (12-14-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
    just visited there website and it seems there offering HD, or should I say - movie quality graphics - but with little to no battery life consumption. 2 words - Very Nice.
    That quote is misleading.
    It has to use some battery. No GPU can operate with zero electricity.

Thanks

They probably meant little to no "additional" battery consumption. Anyway, this sounds like a very promising acquisition.
    Mac strong and proud!!!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
    I agree Very Cool.
    [SIGPIC]

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

cool, maybe the iPod touch 5g will have a 5" 1080p screen (i know that would be pointless, im just messing around)