+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple May Purchase Nortel Patents

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
In what would prove to be yet another logical step in the company's unending quest to secure as much mobile technology-related intellectual property as possible, Apple is believed to be
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Apple May Purchase Nortel Patents

In what would prove to be yet another logical step in the company's unending quest to secure as much mobile technology-related intellectual property as possible, Apple is believed to be among the bidders seeking the portfolio of patents presently held by Nortel Networks. Last year, Nortel Networks filed for bankruptcy and is now liquidating its assets. According to a report Friday from Reuters, Apple is not only interested in acquiring the patents, Apple may have already made an offer.

Nortel controls better than 4,000 patents, the total value of which is estimated to be in excess of $1 billion. Understandably, Apple may be joined by Google in the bidding war, as both tech giants look to shore up their posturing in the mobile technology space. "There has been one round of bidding on those patents, this has been completed," one source told Reuters. "And what Nortel has done is divide the patents up into different lots covering different kinds of technologies."

As Apple continues to find itself embroiled in no shortage of legal skirmishes involving patents and other intellectual properties, it isn't difficult to comprehend why the Cupertino-based outfit would seek to acquire some - but not all - of Nortel's patents, specifically those that pertain to third- and fourth-generation wireless technology. Alexander Poltorak, chief executive of General Patent Corp, says many of the patents up for grabs wield a great deal of potential power for their new owner. "It is certainly a very significant stockpile of potent weaponry, and whoever lays their hands on it is going to gain significant advantage," Poltorak stated.

Reuters

Thanks

Again on fueling the legal battle over technology...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Sounds like a good move

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

Hopefully neither Apple or Google can gain too much ground over one another. The competition between the two makes it fun to see what technology each can create.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iPittsburgh For This Useful Post:

Armored (12-11-2010), iSkream (12-11-2010), yelow13 (12-11-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

we know as always that Apple is forward in introducing the newest Tech on the Market...Just like Micro Sim on the iPhone 4..
    Apple is just an Engine that when it starts with something...the other thing begin to spin automaticly toghether with him..
    Just lok at iphone interfacer with icons...tell me which Samsung.Nokia, Lg, etc etc.. doesn`t have the LOOK like the iphone..why didn`t one of them before Apple introduce that?
    Fine..now that Apple introced the iPAD.. that Stupid BLacberry introduced its PLAYBOY BOOK....ahha..I mean..why NOW...if you want to be the innovator just try it give it a try...why look after others...

Now just wait few months more and you`ll see other phones with support fo Micro sim OR.. the Industry will tell you that Micro sim is a MUST have beacause it..bla bla bla...

I really would like to Apple to Have all those 4000 Patents so we can we what he could bring for us in innovation

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nortel was a dying company because of it's old technology. They couldn't keep up with companies like Cisco, Avaya, and NEC. I don't understand why Apple would want to purchase them. There's a reason why they went bankrupt.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by braddahjosh View Post
    Nortel was a dying company because of it's old technology. They couldn't keep up with companies like Cisco, Avaya, and NEC. I don't understand why Apple would want to purchase them. There's a reason why they went bankrupt.
    Maybe they could combine some of the "failing ideas" with there own. Anyways it all comes down to execution.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

What exactly does Nortel have to offer?

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by braddahjosh View Post
    And Apple probably has a pretty good reason to purchase it...

"Always remember your special and unique!"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My dad use to work for this company before he quit (the company soon went bankrupt) they have some pretty wicked stuff excited about this.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

The Bid Wars have begun.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    And Apple probably has a pretty good reason to purchase it...
    Exactly. They woudnt bid on something useless. There's a reason for sure
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Thanks

What's a Nortel? Lol Jk. But why aren't they more specific about what tech patents they're buying?

Thanks

Nortel means Not to tell...

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Is this for a new Apple netbook that they refuse to call a netbook?