+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Brings eBookstore to the iPhone Today

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Google has finally heralded the grand opening of its much awaited eBookstore. Calling today "the first page in a new chapter of our mission to improve access to the cultural
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 565 Posts

Default Google Brings eBookstore to the iPhone Today

Google has finally heralded the grand opening of its much awaited eBookstore. Calling today "the first page in a new chapter of our mission to improve access to the cultural and educational treasures we know as books," Google is officially taking aim at a fragmented publishing market presently dominated by your dwindling bookstore chains and a host of electronic eReaders, like Amazon's Kindle and the iPad.

Hitting the ground running, Google's new eBookstore debuts with a reader's menu of more than three million titles. Where Google is looking to really shine is in the fact that the online search giant designed Google eBooks to be "open." That is, there will be no shortage of devices compatible with Google eBooks. Consequently, you can buy, store and read Google eBooks in the cloud. And based on Google's policy of "inclusion," the clouds will be full of content. Helping drive the swelling growth of the eBookstore's inventory is Google's emerging relationship with "independent booksellers," a situation that will ensure smaller publishers and publishing houses aren't completely overshadowed by the big boys and girls in print.

Not surprisingly, Google is simultaneously rolling out an iOS app for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch users so that Apple customers can access the new Google eBookstore at will. As of this writing, however, the app hasn't yet been given the green light for entry into the App Store.

If you're wondering, titles in the Google eBookstore are priced comparably to those found in Apple's iBookstore. To read more about the launch of Google's eBookstore, check out the company's formal announcement this morning on the official Google blog.

Google
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 12-06-2010 at 10:48 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

ill try google ebook but im currently using the ibookstore....apple's official ebook store.

Thanks

Nice but don't think apple will allow it in AppStore conflicting apples interest

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 564 Posts

^ They let in the kindle app why not this one?

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    ^ They let in the kindle app why not this one?
    I stand corrected thanks

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit_ View Post
    Nice but don't think apple will allow it in AppStore conflicting apples interest
    It's already in the app store. With the recent changes to their terms and conditions for app devs, like tooth said, there are plenty of apps such as the Kindle, Google Voice, etc. that are now allowed in.
    Last edited by mortopher; 12-06-2010 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    It's already in the app store. With the recent changes to their terms and conditions for app devs, like tooth said, there are plenty of apps such as the Kindle, Google Voice, etc. that are now allowed in.
    Ok ok ok I stand corrected thanks lmao

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Good Job Google.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sucram6791's Avatar
    Thanks

there are just too many ebook stores

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Huh, so you can read the books in the app... yet it exits you to Safari to purchase the books. Odd.

Edit: Wow, and no horizontal mode? Back to iBooks...

Edit 2: Some of the books only have the scanned pages, making it nearly impossible to read on the iPhone due to the smaller screen. Double fail.
    Last edited by billchase2; 12-06-2010 at 12:45 PM.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

Ugh all I wanna do is read the dang book. Quit giving me so many options and recommended books to read; I get distracted way too easily.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

It's a cool idea, but their major selling point seems to be bookmark syncing (saving the pages you have read between devices). I am not certain how many people would hop from device to device. I would just read off of my phone. That said, I guess people might go from tablet to phone and back, but I just don't see many people reading an ebook on a laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post
    Huh, so you can read the books in the app... yet it exits you to Safari to purchase the books. Odd.

Edit 2: Some of the books only have the scanned pages, making it nearly impossible to read on the iPhone due to the smaller screen. Double fail.

So the scanned books... are they available in ibooks? If not, it isn't quite a fair critique IMO. I can see some using landscape mode, but I surely never do (don't have an ipad or tablet), so it wouldn't bother me.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 12-06-2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post

The reader will take those scans for you and change them to a typeface font for easier reading and will still include any diagram or photo that was originally on the page. just check the settings.

Thanks

I like the way they called it a "tablet" and not an ipad.....

Green Apple
    Thanks

The only E-Book store that ever had any good books was the Kindle store. This probably won't take off.

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by disturbedreaper View Post
    The reader will take those scans for you and change them to a typeface font for easier reading and will still include any diagram or photo that was originally on the page. just check the settings.
    All About Coffee by William Harrison Ukers (free) only has the scanned pages available. It says "Flowing Text (unavailable)".
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's not available in the AppStore in Denmark yet... Got me excited tho!

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is a direct competitor to the Wal Mart of eBooks, Amazon. I hope they take a huge chunk out of Amazon's market.

The only E-Book store that ever had any good books was the Kindle store. This probably won't take off.
    Kindle app is more than 10 years old. If Google decides not to half-*** this, it will take off.

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

US only atm!
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

i think the ease of being able to read the book on nearly any device is whats going to stay big for these companies. With a transition from paper to ereaders, there needs to be a certain standard or something other wise some books will be for kindle and not ibooks and some for google books and not ibooks. But we know apple will never get on that train
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!