+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Beefs Up Patent Lawsuit Against Motorola

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple is raising the stakes in its ongoing litigation against mobile phone rival Motorola by tossing a dozen additional patents into the mix. In light of the latest lawsuit amendment,
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Beefs Up Patent Lawsuit Against Motorola

Apple is raising the stakes in its ongoing litigation against mobile phone rival Motorola by tossing a dozen additional patents into the mix. In light of the latest lawsuit amendment, Apple now alleges that Motorola is in violation of twenty-four of its patents. Motorola still asserts that Apple has infringed upon eighteen of its own patents.

Apple, it should be noted, did not strike first in this particular legal battle. Motorola first brought suit against Apple in October shortly after Apple sought to bring HTC to court for - you guessed it - more patent violations. Like a strategic game of legal chess, Apple responded to the Motorola lawsuit with a countersuit. Motorola alleges that Apple has blatantly violated Motorola patents relating to a broad range of technologies, including antenna design. Motorola, however, seems to be on the receiving end of much more scrutiny, as the U.S. International Trade Commission announced plans to formally investigate Motorola as a direct result of Apple's sweeping accusations.

The lawsuit revision by Apple comes on the heels of recent reports, including ours published November 29th, that Steve Jobs and company are sparing no expense to beef up their legal team, which has swelled to include a seemingly incalculable number of attorneys specializing in patents and intellectual property. News of Apple's growing legal dream team emerged as Apple and Nokia prepare for a face off in front of the International Trade Commission, which will similarly deal with alleged intellectual property violations.

BusinessWeek and Electronista

Thanks

It seems like everyone is suing everyone. Maybe they should shut up and get along before they all drive eachother out of business
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

bdwayneh (12-04-2010), iPod (12-04-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I don't get it. Five years ago Apple did not even have a phone. Now there suing phone companies. I am surprised they are not suing GOD for the bible having the word apple in it(you know the whole forbidden tree thing). Well maybe that lawsuit is coming.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 1shuttle1 For This Useful Post:

5h4d0w (12-04-2010), delusion950 (12-04-2010), lacrossplayereht (12-05-2010), MikeMiamiFL (12-05-2010), Scrape (12-05-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thumbs down comment on lawsuit
    apple didnt start the lawsuit their just cont. with it...thay have a right to...its there corporation and they spend ALOT of time and money in tat company and they just want to protect it!!! Motorola is just mad because the jailbreaking community is putting them out of business...if the apple devices were only for AT&T and were jailbreaking and unlocking them to work on other networks than motorola is losing money when we buy iphones instead of their devices. So their jused pissed as hell that apple is MUCH MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to coreyandtrey1 For This Useful Post:

JustinBrettH (12-04-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coreyandtrey1 View Post
    apple didnt start the lawsuit their just cont. with it...thay have a right to...its there corporation and they spend ALOT of time and money in tat company and they just want to protect it!!! Motorola is just mad because the jailbreaking community is putting them out of business...if the apple devices were only for AT&T and were jailbreaking and unlocking them to work on other networks than motorola is losing money when we buy iphones instead of their devices. So their jused pissed as hell that apple is MUCH MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!
    Wanna calm down?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chuk12chuk For This Useful Post:

leathelisor (12-06-2010), MikeMiamiFL (12-05-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I hope Apple makes it out alive cuz I really dont have any feelings for Motorola (and never will) I dont even think I have ever met their website! idk why but i have this sudden feeling of suing Motorola now......and blackberry, and at@t, and verizon, but not tmobile

oh I forgot sprint!
    Last edited by athleticswimmer; 12-05-2010 at 12:02 PM.

Undisputed Theme Champ AnthonyGiola's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 853 Posts

Lesson Learned: Dont Eff with Apple. They will sue you twice as bad as they sued you...

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

jailbreakers community should sue apple for releasing stupid buggy updates and messing up our jailbreak, unlock and most omportant our iDevice. =P

important*
    Last edited by delusion950; 12-04-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned
    Thanks

And the outcome will be.....? A licensing agreement between the two to use each others intellectual property for no cost, made behind closed doors. They all do this deliberately so they can obtain patent licensing from each other for nothing. Typical Mexican standoff. We can all do without the huffing and puffing that goes on with this charade..! Now just get on with it and forget the d1ck measuring competition please.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    no i really dont becfause this is stupid and pointless...their waisting our time with the stuoid stuff!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    jailbreakers community should sue apple for releasing stupid buggy updates and messing up our jailbreak, unlock and most omportant our iDevice. =P

important*
    I agree someone (saurik) should sue Apple. Apple would have no reason to sue them back.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coreyandtrey1 View Post
    how do you assume jailbreaking and unlocking is putting motorola out business. ive had about a dozen motorola phones before the iphone even came out. and motorola still has a good line up of phones on multiple carriers...

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Before the iPhone came out all I used was Motorola because the modding capabilities are awesome (modmymoto.com)! I just think the whole suing thing between the two is ridiculous. Why cant we all just get along?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post

important*
    Hahaha well said!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,479 Times in 1,130 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jsweeney800 View Post
    I agree someone (saurik) should sue Apple. Apple would have no reason to sue them back.
    Agreed, they just need to embrace it, without jailbreak the iPhone isn't worth the money...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth726 View Post
    Agreed, they just need to embrace it, without jailbreak the iPhone isn't worth the money...
    Agreed without jailbreaking there would be no point fo half the people who have one to actually have one. Speaking as a person with an iPhone running on t-mabile. On the other hand apple would have a sue jay (cydia creator) because he is stealing money from apple...that is like me making a monster theme and making 1000$ on it and they take it all away!!