+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: EA: Apple Should Take Console Gaming Challenge

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by sziklassy Android phones still not as popular as iPhones? Android has outsold iPhone and hasn't even been out as long... Android is a OS not a phone,
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Android phones still not as popular as iPhones? Android has outsold iPhone and hasn't even been out as long...
    Android is a OS not a phone, they should out sell the iPhone. There on how many how many networks and have how many cheap models?
    Apple console is risky, but there mobile gaming has been really good so far. And playstation phone Lol sounds like a act of desperation to me.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default worst day of my life
    yes it was Wednesday december 1st, when I reliase that I am so boared with my iphone4 and decided to jump on Android club
    I do not have money issue (Thank god)and purchase SE Xperia X10

spent 3 hours trying to figure out how to sync my mobile me,my mac address book etc, it wasnt easy but I figured the way out and I was ready for next day, very excited to have a "great" phone on my palm ...... wrong.. wrong.. wrong... that was the worst day when I was not able to do anything on this, everything was so complicated and slow and ugly looking.

why on earth company make such a stupid phone phone.vlook apple they clearify what people need the most .. a phone, browser, mail and music and they put it on central stage.
    and this phone was just apposite and funny.

its dirty, slow GPS sucks, map is s*** trying to find where the dialer is. later I thought to play music and I was searching some music album, which I try to stuff in stupid 2GB card. ( i miss my 32 GB iphone memory)

nightmare nightmare.
    now I relize how useless my life without my beloved iphone 4
    I miss my 3 meeting, GPS could not make me reach to my destination etc

guess what I did when I reached home ..... just grab my beloved iphone 4 and kiss it like it was my beloved college girl friend.
    I was so scared that on the same day i went to BB and returned the stupid thing people call Android and ... went straight to Apple store and grab another iphone( full price)and locked in my Acura so I dont have to wait for my iphone4 incase I loose one.

lol sorry guys, you must be thinking I am crazy but I was emotional to get my iphone 4, thought to share my experiance with you.
    another thing I actually liked HTC window phone but I was too scared to try anything lol

Apple will be jumping in Game consol as well TV distrubion( cable TV service ) through Apple tv.....
    Yes I mean it. wait and Apple tv will be streaming cable service soon.

sorry for my spelling mistakes as I just finished my 4th gray goose lol
    Last edited by vikas3saraswat; 12-04-2010 at 09:49 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I recently purchased an LG Ally, and I love it. I had an iPod Touch before, not the iPhone, but I can't really see how different it would have been.

I think the differences between Android and iOS are all about different people's needs. The Android Market is open to have a lot more crappy apps, but it also has apps that do things that would require a jailbreak on Apple. And then, you can do even more if you're rooted on Android, and more still with custom ROMs. Then you've got normal features on Android, like the App Drawer. I used to hide a bunch of icons on my iPod, and now I just put the ones I want on the home screens.

I will say that my Ally was slow at first, but there are many options for fixing that, which I have, and now I have no problems.

My wife has my iPod Touch now, and she loves it, but I'll stick with my Ally.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Android phones still not as popular as iPhones? Android has outsold iPhone and hasn't even been out as long...
    Lol, it's not hard to outsell Apple's 4 phones compared to the 50+ phone's that have Android..not that they're bad, I like my Nexus One
    Last edited by steve-z17; 12-05-2010 at 09:38 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vikas3saraswat View Post
    yes it was Wednesday december 1st, when I reliase that I am so boared with my iphone4 and decided to jump on Android club
    I do not have money issue (Thank god)and purchase SE Xperia X10

spent 3 hours trying to figure out how to sync my mobile me,my mac address book etc, it wasnt easy but I figured the way out and I was ready for next day, very excited to have a "great" phone on my palm ...... wrong.. wrong.. wrong... that was the worst day when I was not able to do anything on this, everything was so complicated and slow and ugly looking.

why on earth company make such a stupid phone phone.vlook apple they clearify what people need the most .. a phone, browser, mail and music and they put it on central stage.
    and this phone was just apposite and funny.

its dirty, slow GPS sucks, map is s*** trying to find where the dialer is. later I thought to play music and I was searching some music album, which I try to stuff in stupid 2GB card. ( i miss my 32 GB iphone memory)

nightmare nightmare.
    now I relize how useless my life without my beloved iphone 4
    I miss my 3 meeting, GPS could not make me reach to my destination etc

guess what I did when I reached home ..... just grab my beloved iphone 4 and kiss it like it was my beloved college girl friend.
    I was so scared that on the same day i went to BB and returned the stupid thing people call Android and ... went straight to Apple store and grab another iphone( full price)and locked in my Acura so I dont have to wait for my iphone4 incase I loose one.

lol sorry guys, you must be thinking I am crazy but I was emotional to get my iphone 4, thought to share my experiance with you.
    another thing I actually liked HTC window phone but I was too scared to try anything lol

Apple will be jumping in Game consol as well TV distrubion( cable TV service ) through Apple tv.....
    Yes I mean it. wait and Apple tv will be streaming cable service soon.

sorry for my spelling mistakes as I just finished my 4th gray goose lol
    WTF? This post is irrelevant to this thread.

I doubt Apple will jump aboard the game console boat and I think they shouldn't. Apple should focus on Macs, iDevices and Apple TVs.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Throne030 View Post
    Ofcourse , in the handheld division Apple has kicked some butt but that doesn't change the fact that a iPhone cost like ATLEAST 500$. How much for a PSP or a DS ? 200$ max, but at the other hand the games on the psp and DS are like 30$ but last more than 10 levels of a 2$ game on the iPhone. So it entirely depends what do you want from your handheld console.
    Or you could pick up an iPod touch that has more features than those crappy pieces of plastic for $230 and still get some quality 3D games from $5 and up that are just as good (probably better than) as the PSP and DS games (yes, probably a run-on). The Lego game I got for $5 is as big as the PC and console Lego games.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Or you could pick up an iPod touch that has more features than those crappy pieces of plastic for $230 and still get some quality 3D games from $5 and up that are just as good (probably better than) as the PSP and DS games (yes, probably a run-on). The Lego game I got for $5 is as big as the PC and console Lego games.
    The best PSP Games (Peace Eater, Birth By Sleep, Socom, God of War, Dissidia, Crisis Core, the remake of FF Tactics...)

Yeah, Cut the Rope, Flight Control, and Fieldrunners stack up just great against those...

iDevices (by design, admittedly) are never going to be compelling devices to developers interested in making games on a larger scale. iOS games are very intriguing in their novelty, but until they work out a better way to deal with tactile input, action games, platformers, and anything more complex than Hook Champ will fail miserably. Good action/shooter games on iOS are not that good when compared to other offerings on other platforms. Graphically we have reaced a level of parity but gameplay length and overall depth? Come on now, stop this crazy talk.

Comparing purpose-built video game machines to ipod and ipads is just silly talk. Give it a rest already!
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpkirkley View Post
    The best PSP Games (Peace Eater, Birth By Sleep, Socom, God of War, Dissidia, Crisis Core, the remake of FF Tactics...)

Yeah, Cut the Rope, Flight Control, and Fieldrunners stack up just great against those...

iDevices (by design, admittedly) are never going to be compelling devices to developers interested in making games on a larger scale. iOS games are very intriguing in their novelty, but until they work out a better way to deal with tactile input, action games, platformers, and anything more complex than Hook Champ will fail miserably. Good action/shooter games on iOS are not that good when compared to other offerings on other platforms. Graphically we have reaced a level of parity but gameplay length and overall depth? Come on now, stop this crazy talk.

Comparing purpose-built video game machines to ipod and ipads is just silly talk. Give it a rest already!
    Notice I didn't say "Cut the Rope" or "Hook Champ". You gotta be fair when quoting someone. I mentioned Lego Harry Potter, which is the same game they're selling for the DS. My main point is, you get way more for your money with an iPod. HD video camera, an actually decent web experienced as opposed to the PSP, $5 games that are a great value, and a versatile app market instead of just games. Ok, maybe a PSP does have better games, but a DS just really has no point anymore. And I don't have any problem with 3D space shooters, you don't quite need tactile input for anything more complex than Hook Champ, come on.

What's Jailbreak? cheekydevil1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Default been there done that - FAIL:
    Apple have already made a game console in the past and it failed called the Apple Bandai pippin.
    By the time the Apple Bandai Pippin was released (1995 in Japan; 1996 in the United States), the market was dominated by the Sega Saturn, PlayStation, Nintendo 64 and PC. In addition there was little ready-to-use software for Pippin, the only major publisher being Bandai itself. It cost US$599 on launch,[1] and while touted as a cheap computer, the system, in reality, was a video game console. As such, its price was considered too expensive in comparison to its contemporaries.
    Bandai manufactured fewer than 100,000 Pippins (reported sales were 42,000) before discontinuing the system; production was so limited that there were more keyboard and modem accessories produced than actual systems.[2]
    Katz Media Productions produced 5,000 units in Ireland for Europe, labeled it the KMP 2000; it is the rarest of the Pippin models. The images here are of the KMP developer unit, which include the 50-pin SCSI connector for external devices used for developing new software.
    In May 2006, the Pippin placed 22nd in PC World Magazine's list of the "25 Worst Tech Products of all Time",[3] and in 2009, ScrewAttack.com ranked it #10 on their Top 10 Biggest Busts.

Technical specifications

[edit]Hardware

The Pippin AtMark PCB.
    66 MHz PowerPC 603 RISC microprocessor[4][5]
    Superscalar, three instructions per clock cycle
    8 KB data and 8 KB instruction caches
    IEEE standard single and double precision Floating Point Unit (FPU)
    5 MB combined system and video memory, advanced architecture
    Easy memory expansion cards in 2, 4, 8, and 16 MB increments.
    128 K Flash memory accessible storage space.
    4 x CD-ROM drive
    Two high-speed serial ports, one of which is GeoPort ready, the other is LocalTalk
    PCI-compatible expansion slot
    Two “AppleJack” ruggedized ADB inputs
    Supports up to four simultaneous players over Apple Desktop Bus (ADB)
    Supports standard ADB keyboards and mice with mechanical adapters
    [edit]Video
    8-bit and 16-bit video support
    Dual frame buffers for superior frame-to-frame animation
    Support for NTSC and PAL composite, S-Video and VGA (640x480) monitors
    Horizontal and vertical video convolution
    [edit]Audio
    Stereo 16-bit 44 kHz sampled output
    Stereo 16-bit 44 kHz sampled input
    Headphone output jack with individual volume control
    Audio CD player compatibility
    [edit]System software

The Pippin firmware board.
    3 MB ROM version 7.7.D (version number on ROM boards is development 1.1, 1.2; production 1.3).
    Runtime environment derived from System 7, System 7.5.2 (if used, Enabler 1.1).
    PowerPC native version of QuickDraw.
    Reduced system memory footprint (most computer extensions features removed).
    Disk-resident System Software stamped on CD-ROM with title.
    System boots off of CD-ROM by default (but can boot off any SCSI device).
    Pippin System Software upgrades released through CD-ROM stamping operations.
    68k emulator.
    Macintosh Toolbox intact.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Throne030 View Post
    Ofcourse , in the handheld division Apple has kicked some butt but that doesn't change the fact that a iPhone cost like ATLEAST 500$. How much for a PSP or a DS ? 200$ max, but at the other hand the games on the psp and DS are like 30$ but last more than 10 levels of a 2$ game on the iPhone. So it entirely depends what do you want from your handheld console.
    I agree
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Notice I didn't say "Cut the Rope" or "Hook Champ". You gotta be fair when quoting someone. I mentioned Lego Harry Potter, which is the same game they're selling for the DS. My main point is, you get way more for your money with an iPod. HD video camera, an actually decent web experienced as opposed to the PSP, $5 games that are a great value, and a versatile app market instead of just games. Ok, maybe a PSP does have better games, but a DS just really has no point anymore. And I don't have any problem with 3D space shooters, you don't quite need tactile input for anything more complex than Hook Champ, come on.
    I agree with the value proposition side of the argument, but I guess the main point of what I'm saying is that that value oriented sword cuts both ways. Yes, you are getting a point and shoot camera, webcam, mp3 player, PDA, etc.., but the result of that is a product that is a jack of all trades, but master of none. Anyone buying one for the digicam can buy a better one from walmart for 60 beans. I went to St Louis recenty, and if the only camera I had to capture my sights and surroundings was the iphone camera, I wouldve jumped off the arches. While traveling, I carried my iphone, AND a camera, AND a standalone GPS - because the iphone is not an adequate replacementment for those who use them on more than a once in a while basis. Following that logic, I would say the same applies to the gaming aspect as well. What you gain in versatility, you will lose in gaming depth, length, etc... I paid 40 bucks for Peace Walker nearly 4 months ago, I still have not beaten everything. This is with about 3-4 hours invested per week (70 minute train commute to work...)That to me is a better value than spending 10 bucks a months on 2-3 games that I can beat on a bored afternoon. As far as non tactile fails on the iDevices, one needs to look to further than Sonic 4, or Street Fighter, or Madden... The games that are done well are truly good games - I wont dispute that, but they're not long enough to hold ones attention over time.
    Last edited by cpkirkley; 12-06-2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: typos
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123