Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Cracks its Restrictive Whip on Mac App Store

Hybrid View

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple Cracks its Restrictive Whip on Mac App Store

Apple is once again cracking its proverbial whip in outlining further restrictions relating to its soon-to-be launched Mac App Store. Developers have been notified that some changes are coming, at least in terms of how the Mac App Store will work in relation to Apple's other app stores. Arguably the biggest differentiating factor is that trial versions of software are strictly prohibited.

Apple laid down the law via updates on its News and Announcements for Apple Developers last night. Devs are busy digesting the news today, as the Mac App Store nears completion for an early 2011 roll out. In the message to developers, Apple tells its devs that "Your website is the best place to provide demos, trial versions, or betas of your software for customers to explore." Looking to avoid the bugs of beta, Apple says the apps you submit to be reviewed for the Mac App Store "should be fully functional, retail versions of your apps."

Understandably, this change of policy for the Mac App Store represents a significant change of pace from that which developers have grown accustomed from the iOS App Store policies. Given that "lite" incarnations and free trials of apps often result in top downloaded bursts of activity for developers, the news comes as quite a blow to many devs who today are once again bemoaning more restrictive shenanigans on the part of Apple.

To read more of the new rules with which you may now have to contend, check out News and Announcements for Apple Developers, if you haven't already.

Apple

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (12-04-2010)

didnt see that coming...haha. Its good in a way but cmon, some apps are gonna need to be tested by the masses.

Shenanigans!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    Shenanigans!
    Eeevil Shenanigans!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

Snozberries (12-03-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Eeevil Shenanigans!
    I'm gonna pistol-whip the next person that says Shenanigans...
    -Super Troopers

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

Snozberries (12-03-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    I'm gonna pistol-whip the next person that says Shenanigans...
    -Super Troopers

Shenanigans.

I wanna go home and watch Super Troopers now.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Mac App store is going to be the most policed and restrictive App Store ever.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

riduculous... how are you going to convince someone to buy your app, if there is no way to try it? so we just take the plunge, buy something supposed to be "awesome, the best app for whatever" and then is a piece of ****

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
    riduculous... how are you going to convince someone to buy your app, if there is no way to try it? so we just take the plunge, buy something supposed to be "awesome, the best app for whatever" and then is a piece of ****
    whats different from the app store now? I still wish there was a way to call BS and get your money back.

I can understand the difference for the Mac App store. With the mobile platform, other then jailbreaking, there isn't a way to install "trial" versions of a program from a web site. On the OSX side of things it's quite easy. Just download the .dmg and off you go. This will reduce the amount of listings in the app store. A dev could easily list the full version in the app store and provide a link to their website for a trial version.

Quote Originally Posted by m/ibnzicemanm/ View Post
    rumor? how come Essany didn't write an article about it? haha
    because it wasn't released on Verizon's network...
    Last edited by cory; 12-04-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well, it's not like you won't be able to get demos/trials/betas. Let's just not clutter the Mac App Store with them. Besides, the Mac platform isn't "jailed" like the iOS platform normally is. <EDIT> Go to the dev's site and download the trial from there. </EDIT>

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puka1701 For This Useful Post:

kuhndsn (12-03-2010), Poseidon79 (12-03-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Puka1701 View Post
    Well, it's not like you won't be able to get demos/trials/betas. Let's just not clutter the Mac App Store with them. Besides, the Mac platform isn't "jailed" like the iOS platform normally is. <EDIT> Go to the dev's site and download the trial from there. </EDIT>
    agreed. thats one of my complaints about the idevice app store. it's way too cluttered.

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Rumor is the OSX build that has the AppStore in it went to GM today.
    rumor? how come Essany didn't write an article about it? haha
    Last edited by \m/ibnziceman\m/; 12-03-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
    Well actually thats how the app store is right now. Most apps that are paid don't have a way to try out the app, you just pay for it and if it sucks too bad.

Banned
    Thanks

How is this restrictive? They can have demos on their site, hell, if they don't like the terms of the app store, they can continue to sell their stuff anywhere else they like. Mac OS is not a closed system. They don't have a gun pointed at their heads do they? But what would you expect to read from the hack that masquerades as a blogger. Pfft.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tyronal For This Useful Post:

greeneyes5066 (12-04-2010), kuhndsn (12-03-2010), Poseidon79 (12-03-2010)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyronal View Post
    How is this restrictive? They can have demos on their site, hell, if they don't like the terms of the app store, they can continue to sell their stuff anywhere else they like. Mac OS is not a closed system. They don't have a gun pointed at their heads do they? But what would you expect to read from the hack that masquerades as a blogger. Pfft.
    Exactly. When I read the name of the author I automatically knew the story was going to be some bullsh1t.

Yeah I think this is a good idea, so they don't clutter the store. That's the problem with the AppStore right now, there so much stuff and I just have to sort through it all the time just to find a normal and lite version of the app.

Rumor is the OSX build that has the AppStore in it went to GM today.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

MEH!!!! It no huge deal. Let's see.... I so wonder how we all bought software before the iStores came about. Hmmm. How oh how did we survive as devs and customers.

We got the notice as well and it not that big of a deal. Well perhaps it is if we were not devs and consistently tried to make snow out of salt thru text. I'm just saying....

I use MacUpdate when looking for stuff. I used to use VersionTracker till they got bought by CNet. I just hate CNET's style. Although not a full fan of the new Macupdate layout but still way better than CNET.

Thanks

Heh? How is this restrictive?
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Why on earth are trial versions strictly prohibited? I can see them not wanting a full version with just a trial code (as this can easily be cracked), but a lesser version (where there are physically less features available, even if there was to be a crack) seems like it would be fitting. This way, the trial version is smaller (less bandwidth) and there is no real risk of cracks. Of course, there are some apps that this just wouldn't work for at all, but something like a game where there are levels and such could easily have a trial where only the data for a level or two is provided so that there is no opportunity for acquiring those extra levels through devious means.

Regardless, this is an Apple App Store. They have enough followers with crazy brand loyalty to make this successful. I will say that there probably are some limited cases where I too would use this as a simple download is more convenient than going into the store to buy the thing for exactly the same price.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast