+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Axes MacBook Air Upgrade Kits

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by madczech wow! best first post in a forum! If you don't like Apple products, then just don't buy them... The stats talk for themselves.. A bad (or
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madczech View Post
    wow! best first post in a forum!
    If you don't like Apple products, then just don't buy them...

The stats talk for themselves.. A bad (or in your words: horrible) product range wouldn't have made it this far!!
    I love Apple products. Been using iDevices for last 6 years. Also I won't buy any of the Apple products on the list. Very sad. Apple is turning evil.

My Apple products.
    iPod Nano 1G 4GB
    iPod Classic 80GB
    iPod Nano 5G 8GB
    iPod Touch 2G 8GB
    iPod Touch 4G 8GB
    iPad Wi-Fi 16GB

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Apple once again trying to kill consumer choice...

Banned
    Thanks

According to the "original" story on 9to5Mac it's stated "according to some sources close to the company", oh really? And the credibility of this "source" is? I just checked their web page PhotoFast and it's still on its products page. WTF??? Don't believe everything you read or better still, don't assume anything coz we all know what happens when you ASSUME anything. And the trolls eat this rubbish for breakfast. Did anyone "check" this story at all??????

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow so they said stop making our products better and having more solutions/options for our customers
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
    This is crazy. Apple is an evil empire.

yet i buy products from them. i just love apple products too much to care about all their "wrongdoing"

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by doitchinkstyle View Post
    yet i buy products from them. i just love apple products too much to care about all their "wrongdoing"
    And they know that about people like you, which is why they know they can get away with it.

As long as you buy form over function, closed over open, restricted over free, Apple will work well for you.

By the way, you aren't really "buying" Apple products. Jobs is just giving you the priviledge of USING one of HIS toys, and only in the fashion he chooses for you.

As long as you're good with that, Steve loves you.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to prgeno For This Useful Post:

400milliliters (12-01-2010), EdmundGerber (12-01-2010), zoso10 (11-30-2010)

Thanks

Greed!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prgeno View Post
    And they know that about people like you, which is why they know they can get away with it.

As long as you buy form over function, closed over open, restricted over free, Apple will work well for you.

By the way, you aren't really "buying" Apple products. Jobs is just giving you the priviledge of USING one of HIS toys, and only in the fashion he chooses for you.

As long as you're good with that, Steve loves you.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I just had to hit the thanks button because you completely made my night with this post! Thank you so much for enlightening me, I had no idea I actually haven't "bought" any Apple products. Does this mean everything I have is borrowed, and once a few years are up I have to give it back? Well at least Jobs is playing nice and sharing his toys with all of us.

But seriously, I'm scared that no one understands how the free market works. This is just a competitive business move. Believe it or not stuff like this happens every single day! People just come in here looking to wag their finger at Apple.

Thanks

Geez talk about trying to monopolizing the world. As soon as another company tries to "help" apple.... BAM! Lawsuit! I wouldn't really be surprised if apple became ruler of all technology in the world.

Also, I found out yesterday that here in Australia apple mac's and such are now toe to toe with windows machines when only a couple of years ago they were nowhere near each other
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
    -- Harry S. Truman

What's Jailbreak? 400milliliters's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
    This is crazy. Apple is an evil empire.

no doubt!!
    Last edited by 400milliliters; 12-01-2010 at 03:00 AM.
    To quote the last words of Plato, "I drank what?"

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Ahhh the good old days! When Microsoft was elbowing Apple down the chain with similar tactics. It's quite eerie how the glove fits all to well on the other hand.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lesslinger71 View Post
    I agree.. Maybe apple doesn't like being shown off. I mean, as long as they don't market it as officially approved by apple, then what gives? Im starting to get a sour apple taste in my mouth. Isn't apple trying to create a monopoly by doing this. Only allowing Toshiba the rights means they can charge what ever they want. We need competition.
    +1

Maybe these guys could 'sell off' their resources used to make these upgrades to a 'separate company' which they have 'no relationship with' (other than the owners of both companies have the same 'investors') that could continue to make and sell these upgrades. That takes them off the hook with Apple, they still make a killer upgrade and a bunch of cash selling them.

Admittedly, they probably weren't going to get rich on this upgrade: your typical Apple customer wouldn't even know about this let alone how to crack their MBA case and do the upgrade. But, f&#!, I was planning on getting a base MBA and getting this upgrade!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to quidam_brujah For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (12-01-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

That's a HUGE pile of S@!*, If I were photofast i'd just rebrand the memory sticks as a general memory stick NOT one for macbook airs!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to coolguy742 For This Useful Post:

quidam_brujah (12-01-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
    That's a HUGE pile of S@!*, If I were photofast i'd just rebrand the memory sticks as a general memory stick NOT one for macbook airs!
    Daaaah!

That's exactly what I was thinking about 5 minutes after I replied!

Apple forces PhotoFast to abandon 256GB upgrade kit for MacBook Airs

These guys hint at just as much... Toshiba could sell them the chip/board, PhotoFast puts it into a USB housing (easy to open) and sell it as an SSD stick (just like several others they sell). We buy it, open it and swap out our MBA SSD for that. They are off the hook with Apple and we get a cool upgrade option. I think PhotoFast would probably sell about as many units since I still think this is something that your average MBA user is not likely to use -- maybe about 2-5% of the MBA user-market.

Worse case, I'll be waiting to see what the prices of a 256GB Toshiba Blade X-Gale (THNSNC256GMDJ, 108.9 x 24 x 3.7 mm and weight 13.2grams, 3.3V) are and if it will fit (it's 1.5mm thicker than the 64 &128GB models) in a MBA. If the bulk rate is good, maybe we could get a co-op going and buy a bunch.
    Last edited by quidam_brujah; 12-01-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoso10 View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I just had to hit the thanks button because you completely made my night with this post! Thank you so much for enlightening me, I had no idea I actually haven't "bought" any Apple products. Does this mean everything I have is borrowed, and once a few years are up I have to give it back? Well at least Jobs is playing nice and sharing his toys with all of us.

But seriously, I'm scared that no one understands how the free market works. This is just a competitive business move. Believe it or not stuff like this happens every single day! People just come in here looking to wag their finger at Apple.

It is a pleasure to be able to amuse you. You don't have to give Steve his toys back, but you do have to play only by his rules. You have not purchased rights to do as you wish with his toys.

Just as seriously, this is an anticompetitive move, not a competitive one. If actually true, and Photofast chose to make Apple a legal enemy, they could legally challenged Apple's stance in a restraint of trade complaint.

There is a reason King Steve is surrounding himself with lawyers, and with the pile of cash he has, he can certainly outlast any legal challenges that arise.

But don't fool yourself into believing this is legal or appropriate under the guise of free market competitiveness. This is a big brother, cut throat, anticompetitive move, plain and simple.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prgeno View Post
    It is a pleasure to be able to amuse you. You don't have to give Steve his toys back, but you do have to play only by his rules. You have not purchased rights to do as you wish with his toys.

Just as seriously, this is an anticompetitive move, not a competitive one. If actually true, and Photofast chose to make Apple a legal enemy, they could legally challenged Apple's stance in a restraint of trade complaint.

There is a reason King Steve is surrounding himself with lawyers, and with the pile of cash he has, he can certainly outlast any legal challenges that arise.

But don't fool yourself into believing this is legal or appropriate under the guise of free market competitiveness. This is a big brother, cut throat, anticompetitive move, plain and simple.
    Ok the only toys that you have to "play only by his rules" are the iDevices. And it's very obvious why Apple doesn't like jailbreaking. Buying 3rd party apps from Cydia detracts from the profits of the AppStore. It's very obvious. As for the Apple computers, well you can do anything you want; no "playing by their rules."

I have no idea how you can think that this move is anticompetitive. Smaller companies that can threaten larger companies get shut down and swallowed up all the time. Case in point, the company my father works for was number 1 in the world in their field, but the number 2 company started buying up smaller companies and axing others which boosted them to number 1. And yes the business world is cut throat, sorry it's not about playing nice all the time.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12