Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple App Store Swells to New Heights

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple App Store Swells to New Heights

There was a lot to absorb today from Apple's comprehensive press release heralding the arrival of iOS 4.2 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. From making the "Find My iPhone" feature free and able to use sans MobileMe, to countless new attributes for the iPad (like multitasking, folders, etc.) and the dawn of Game Center, AirPlay & AirPrint, Apple is keeping us on our toes today with no shortage of sweet arrivals for our iDevices.

Understandably, there's a lot to be distracted with from Apple's iOS 4.2 drop today. One such example of a buried morsel of overlooked information is the fact that customers have now downloaded in excess of seven billion apps from the App Store. We've also officially breached the 300,000-level in terms of applications now available for download in 90 countries. Remarkable, of course, is that 40,000 of those apps are native to the iPad - a relatively astounding feat, given the short period of time the iPad and its corresponding app store have been available.

Apple also took the opportunity to note that there are presently more than 125 million iOS users around the world who have the option of enjoying the aforementioned 300,000 apps, which are spread across a range of 20 categories (all of which we are familiar.) Impressive stuff, but the crowded app space through which we all navigate is about to get even more crowded. As the Mac-specific app store comes online, developers will have an entirely new platform to tinker with, lending credence to the claims of many analysts that the sum total of apps across all iDevices could range between 500,000 and 750,000 by the end of 2011.

Apple

I'm surprised we haven't seen the 1000000 mark for apps.

By next year also I think we will see Iphone and cloud computing come together..

Quote Originally Posted by snowdweller View Post

By next year also I think we will see Iphone and cloud computing come together..
    I agree. App store is a big success.
    I am the Vincent (Vital Information Necessary Centralized) iPhone.

When I am moody I am the Hal iPhone 9000 lol

the app store is definitely what carries the torch for apple

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Well that's actually good news, because they weed out all the crappy apps ... I don't need to choose between 15 different "Lighter" or Flashlight Apps

6. The Following User Says Thank You to santacruzlocal For This Useful Post:

Snozberries (11-22-2010)

IT HAS ARRIVED! JB w/GreenPois0n, RedSn0w, or Limera1n...hmmmm. Need to maintain baseband, same instructions as 4.1 using TinyUmbrella should do the trick. Anyone???

Quote Originally Posted by \m/ibnziceman\m/;
    the app store is definitely what carries the torch for apple
    This guy is right on in respect to iPhones but Mac's are another story, still can't wait until the Mac AppStore gets here.

And if there were 1,000,000 apps out there. Then about 900,000 of them are useless novelty crap. They sure don't mention how many apps i uninstall right after downloading them.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vindutch For This Useful Post:

Amraam (11-22-2010), iamjamieq (11-23-2010)

Cloud computing?

Microsoft uses that term "cloud" now. I guess Apple will have to call it "Stratosphere" or something.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to vindutch For This Useful Post:

PlatoTheForms (11-22-2010)

I've spent upward $1500 in the AppStore some great others good some ok ones and some that just plain lie about what it can do, that being said I've been downloading scenic late 07 and now around the corner 2011 I do my homework it's all about money so before you hit the buy button read what the people are saying about the app before you buy it and save yourself some money and headaches over wasting your cash on some junk app made for people that can but don't READ thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bignighttrain View Post
    This guy is right on in respect to iPhones but Mac's are another story, still can't wait until the Mac AppStore gets here.
    me neither. these 90 days are taking forever!

Quote Originally Posted by vindutch View Post
    Microsoft uses that term "cloud" now. I guess Apple will have to call it "Stratosphere" or something.
    true. then whenever they update it they'll go up a level in the atmosphere haha
    Last edited by \m/ibnziceman\m/; 11-22-2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

No apple needs to call it the Apple Galaxy. I can already see it apple saying store your intire iPhone iPad and coming with the next update (Lion) your MacBook / pro content in the ever growing Apple Galaxy. A thought what about mobile me, well in any case Apple or Die thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post
    From making the "Find My iPhone" feature free and able to use sans MobileMe
    This feature is only free for 4th gen devices running iOS 4.2. You still have to pay for a MobileMe account for older devices like the iPhone 3Gs.

you should patent the "Galaxy " term in relation to cloud type computing because it really has a good sound to it and I wouldn't put it past Apple if they have trolls on this board to come up with ideas...

Wow............!

iInTheSky or something *** like that

That cuz they stopped approving FART apps

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Good to hear it's only getting better
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brian5s View Post
    IT HAS ARRIVED! JB w/GreenPois0n, RedSn0w, or Limera1n...hmmmm. Need to maintain baseband, same instructions as 4.1 using TinyUmbrella should do the trick. Anyone???
    Ummm, no. It hasn't arrived. You aren't jailbreaking with any of those tools, as a 4.2 jailbreak isn't available.
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast