Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Use Rock Band 3 Controller to Record in GarageBand

Default Use Rock Band 3 Controller to Record in GarageBand

If youíre a fan of Rock Band 3, you can now use their latest guitar controller to record MIDI into GarageBand. Rock Band 3 recently came out with a more advanced guitar game controller designed to help you make the transition to playing an actual guitar. Using the Mad Catz Fender Mustang PRO-Guitar Controller as a MIDI device, you can configure it to work nicely with GarageBand.

The Fender guitar controller has six strings for strumming, and has 17 frets along a button-based neck. The strumming area allows for discrete picking of each individual string and has a touch-sensitive string box to capture mutes or cut-off notes. Fender is also coming out with an actual guitar model that is compatible with Rock Band 3 in the near future.

Because the Fender Mustang controller has MIDI output, you can use it to play music that GarageBand can record as MIDI. Once the MIDI data is recorded, you can tweak the sounds to your heartís content. The setup is actually pretty easy: you only need three items to get this up and running. Youíll need a copy of GarageBand, the Rock Band 3 Mad Catz Fender Mustang PRO-Guitar Controller ($149.99), and a MIDI-to-USB adapter. Plug the MIDI-to-USB into your Mac and controller and youíre good to go. MacLife has posted detailed instructions on how to configure GarageBand, but it shouldnít take you too long before youíre up and running.

Keyboards have been the dominant way to record MIDI data for so long now that itís nice to finally have an alternative. Iíve resisted the whole Rock Band thing for some time now, but I may have to give it a second look now that I can use a guitar controller instead.

Source: Lifehacker

Ha nice!

Hey my first, first! lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to StellarZ For This Useful Post:

DeathDude (11-21-2010)

ha you are an idiot.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to turdsmoka For This Useful Post:

StellarZ (11-21-2010)

Smile First?
    Quote Originally Posted by StellarZ View Post
    Ha nice!

Hey my first, first! lol
    your just looking for abuse aren't you?
    What's the Number 1 iPhone 4 App Download.. A Public Phone Box Locator

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rajsukul For This Useful Post:

StellarZ (11-21-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

..!., <-- heres your first!!! ha

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CX3NT3_713 For This Useful Post:

StellarZ (11-21-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Does anyone still play rockband? Mine has been collecting dust since a week after RB2 dropped

I don't understand why people play these knockoff music games(guitar hero and rock band). They're all biting off of DrumMania and GuitarFreaks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CabooseLoL View Post
    I don't understand why people play these knockoff music games(guitar hero and rock band). They're all biting off of DrumMania and GuitarFreaks.
    Maybe because people don't want to play J-pop songs, and how often do you see a GF or Drum Mania machine in the US. Plus I think the UI on those games are horrible...

Ha, I'm glad everyone's so friendly today.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Does anyone still play rockband? Mine has been collecting dust since a week after RB2 dropped
    I played a lot of RB2, but I have lost interest in it. Guess you can only bang on plastic for so long Kinect is my latest obsession.
    Last edited by StellarZ; 11-21-2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower."
    - Steve Jobs

That's pretty sick now if I can't find my controller in the closet
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StellarZ View Post
    Ha, I'm glad everyone's so friendly today.

I played a lot of RB2, but I have lost interest in it. Guess you can only bang on plastic for so long Kinect is my latest obsession.
    I played Beatles RB for awhile but grew tired of it quickly

Oh geez now everybody is going to be making crappy music using plastic guitars....

it's unbelievable how this world is evolving so much....

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TypeRBass View Post
    Maybe because people don't want to play J-pop songs, and how often do you see a GF or Drum Mania machine in the US. Plus I think the UI on those games are horrible...
    Yeah pretty much lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone realtimedeath's Avatar
    Thanks

Dude I play rockband at least every other day. Only drums though. I can't have a real kit where I live and if I could I definitely couldn't bring in a bass and/or guitar to jam with. So for me throwing on headphones and playing the latest DLC slipknot, or some cohere and cambria on expert fills my need to bang on my drums all day. Plus I can't say how many great bands I've discovered thanks to the rockband network. People talk about how this genre of games is past, dont blame rckband blame guitar hero. They exploited and killed there brand-name. World tour had a few good songs (the three tracks by Tool) and GH metallic was full of awesome tracks( demon cleaner, and the black river. ******* awesome). Rockband is a great way to find and enjoy music. If u take the time to find it. U don't have to be stuck with radio rock. And who hasn't turned it on just for the vcals. My friends and I take turns passing the mic granted only two of us can actually sing but who cares we still have fun and the Ale keeps on flowing.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to realtimedeath For This Useful Post:

jiniej (11-21-2010)

its just nice to see that one of the big companies is actually making a game that is more realistic. all of the past games are so far away from what playing an actual guitar is like. yeah it may get kids started but its so annoying hearing people say that they can play guitar when the only thing they can do is coordinate colored buttons on a video game

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

I always thought being good at games was nothing to be proud of, your not actually playing the song and have no where near the same talent, I have pride in not being good at video games
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

I have been using 3 sets of xbox 360 drums in GarageBand, I'm gonna try the pro guitar out.
    [SIGPIC]