+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Euro iAd Rumors Prove Correct

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Euro iAd Rumors Prove Correct

Earlier this week, the Financial Times of London picked up on a story that Apple’s mobile advertising platform - iAd - would soon expand across the pond as the team in Cupertino gears up to announce its first European iAd mobile advertising partners. As it turns out, the blossoming digital ads that many of us find to be remarkably irritating may soon begin irritating others on a completely different continent.

According to a report Sunday in the Financial Times of London: "Apple will announce the first brands to use iAds in Europe this week, after a mixed reception to its new mobile advertising service in the US." That projection has now proven accurate, as the forthcoming European launch will allow developers and advertisers in the UK to target iPhone users the same way as their peers have in the US. As of early December, the UK and France will see the debut of iAds, with Germany on tap for a January debut of the platform.

“We’re thrilled to add leading global brands to the iAd Network in Europe and create even more great opportunities for developers,” said Andy Miller, Apple’s vice president of iAd. “In just four months, we’ve doubled the number of advertisers on the network and thousands of developers now have a valuable new source of revenue.”
    Apple has posted on its website that L’Oréal, Renault, Louis Vuitton, Nespresso, Perrier & Unilever will be among the first European advertisers to take advantage of iAd. If this announcement, however, sounds like old news, you're actually correct in one aspect. Apple has twice planned a European launch for iAd. So far, plans have fallen through each time, most likely because of advertiser qualms about the high cost of high tech advertising with Apple. Nonetheless, the kinks now appear to have been worked out and all systems are go for a scheduled December European iAd roll out.

Apple

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh this sucks :s

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Damn I'd hoped it would have been delayed even longer

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5h4d0w's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone wanting to disable iAds, just use iFile, SSH or other method to delete or chmod *anything* (be careful, though) which contains: "iad", "admob", "flurry", "adlib", or "adsheet".

If you are going to chmod them, you should remove ALL permissions (chmod 0000). Also, you could change their owner and group so that it would be more difficult for them to reassign permissions.

I recommend the chmod method because if something goes wrong or you want to undo it, you can just reapply 0755 or 0777 permissions to the files.

Having FirewallIP installed helps, too.

I've done this on 3 different firmwares on two different devices with no side-effects.

Thanks

man do i feel sry for europe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5h4d0w View Post
    Anyone wanting to disable iAds, just use iFile, SSH or other method to delete or chmod *anything* (be careful, though) which contains: "iad", "admob", "flurry", "adlib", or "adsheet".

If you are going to chmod them, you should remove ALL permissions (chmod 0000). Also, you could change their owner and group so that it would be more difficult for them to reassign permissions.

I recommend the chmod method because if something goes wrong or you want to undo it, you can just reapply 0755 or 0777 permissions to the files.

Having FirewallIP installed helps, too.

I've done this on 3 different firmwares on two different devices with no side-effects.
    Just remember to chmod them back to 0755, when running ModMyI.app
    If you don't, this site might eventually stop working.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to raduga For This Useful Post:

chrodriguezmarydown (11-20-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

iads suck

Green Apple
    Thanks

I love iAds, stop whining about it.

Green Apple chrodriguezmarydown's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    Just remember to chmod them back to 0755, when running ModMyI.app
    If you don't, this site might eventually stop working.
    He has a good point! Don't forgot to change them back to 0755 when running the Modmyi.com app. I want this site to stay alive!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrodriguezmarydown View Post
    He has a good point! Don't forgot to change them back to 0755 when running the Modmyi.com app. I want this site to stay alive!!
    Yeah and other sites and apps can go into oblivion? For christs sake people, there is a reason why we have free apps!

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Generally ads are not much of an issue, but too many companies abuse this making their apps unusable and/or unfriendly and irritating.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhuys View Post
    Yeah and other sites and apps can go into oblivion? For christs sake people, there is a reason why we have free apps!
    Actually, there are several reasons why we have free apps;
    some of them having nothing to do with ad content. But, sure-
    advertising support adds tremendously to the quantity and quality of available zero-cost applications.

Re: oblivion [it sucked. morrowind FTW!]

If every other free website on the Internet goes down
    (and switch to paid content, or else die)
    I'll be content so long as I still have MMi to troll :3