+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple Battled with Google and Amazon over Beatles Library

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by wolverinemarky Yea considering MJ owns the rights to most of their music wonder how much his estate will be getting from this deal. Sent from my iPhone
...
  1. #21
    Livin the i raduga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,631
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked 94 Times in 85 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    Yea considering MJ owns the rights to most of their music wonder how much his estate will be getting from this deal.


    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    If the iP* is merely a device for playing back audio recordings - they get some of the collected royalties but not too much.

    If the iP* is... something analogous to a "book" holding music that's been printed and published, they could be entitled to a much heftier chunk.

    Sure, its a stretch, but Cupertino ought to be on high Zombie Alert right about now.


  2. #22
    iPhone? More like MyPhone madczech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Zürich
    Posts
    259
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 53 Times in 42 Posts

    Just to let you guys know: apple paid 500'000 pound for the rights! Craaazy
    I don't give a damn about Chuck Norris, Spongebob can grill under water!


  3. #23
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,234
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 141 Times in 121 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by billmilo View Post
    wow, the beatles were a homoerotic boy band. in all their pics, they are very very close to each other.
    Why do you have hate on them just because you don't like them? Do you just have nothing better to do then to make immature comments?...it's so lame to just make stupid comments just because..

    Anyway, I'm glad they finally got The Beatles up, their music is amazing. They've inspired a ton of artists that are big in today's music biz!

  4. #24
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by yentrog31 View Post
    When did this happen?..Oh yea yesterday,the day I could never forget that I did forget already...Good job Jobs.
    Apple wasnt being smug on this announcement, it was a reference to the Beatles song. Tom Merit from Tech News Today even has a guess at it being this the day before on his show.

  5. #25
    The Dude Abides mr117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    595
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts

    There have always been rumors about John and the first manager, Brian Epstein, having had a short affair early on. But the band being *** (why would it matter to you or anyone else?), no. Psychologists suggest that highly homophobic people (***-haters) are themselves worried about their own gender orientation and make comments and/or act out against gays to cover up those feeling of self-doubt. By your reckoning, every male team sports hero you hold dear to your heart is "***" because he showers with guys, pats them on the butt, touches them (oh, wait, that would be every American football player, every basketball player, every soccer player, every rugby player) during play, etc. If you are still in high school, YOU may be showering with guys and touching them during PE.
    So how about a stop to anti-*** attitude here, ok?

    Michael Jackson went to court several times for inappropriate behavior towards young male children, settled one suit against him for $1 million, and admitted in court that he slept in the same bed with 12-14 year-old-boys for "companionship." Let's be clear about who is what.

    Oh, and Mr. Jackson's estate only owns the second half of the Beatle's catalog, the part Allan Klein sold off. They don't own the first half. So they will only get a percentage of one-half of this windfall profits that EMI/Apple/Apple/Capitol/The Beatles and their estates will reap. Might as well get our facts straight.
    Senior

  6. #26
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    304
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts

    I personally dont care if they had to "battle" over the Beatles, but surely millions of people do so I say yea good job Apple...but when you release 4.2 for the ipad, thats a day ill never forget!..not this one.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to athleticswimmer For This Useful Post:

    CaptainChaos (11-18-2010)

  8. #27
    Go Wings Zokunei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,403
    Thanks
    154
    Thanked 469 Times in 381 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
    I personally dont care if they had to "battle" over the Beatles, but surely millions of people do so I say yea good job Apple...but when you release 4.2 for the ipad, thats a day ill never forget!..not this one.
    Well, considering their last WiFi screw up, and the incredible laginess of 4.1 (yes, sometimes the keyboard even lags on 4th gen devices), they should beta test for a few days since they just released another version. Or else you'll be complaining way more about 4.2 than the "g@y" Beatles.

  9. #28
    Livin the i raduga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,631
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked 94 Times in 85 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Why do you have hate on them just because you don't like them? Do you just have nothing better to do then to make immature comments?...it's so lame to just make stupid comments just because..
    If a cool and studied Hate spells better, then you in your wrothful haste should reconsider?

    Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    There have always been rumors about John and the first manager, Brian Epstein, having had a short affair early on. But the band being *** (why would it matter to you or anyone else?), no. Psychologists suggest that highly homophobic people (***-haters) are themselves worried about their own gender orientation and make comments and/or act out against gays to cover up those feeling of self-doubt.
    But is the converse necessarily true?

    Are all of us who worry for our gender, who make comments and/or act out, who try to cover up feelings of self-doubt, highly homophobic?

    By your reckoning, every male team sports hero you hold dear to your heart is "***" because he showers with guys, pats them on the butt, touches them (oh, wait, that would be every American football player, every basketball player, every soccer player, every rugby player) during play, etc.
    For what it's worth, I hold my iPod dearer to my heart than any team sports hero of either gender.

    You?

    If you are still in high school, YOU may be showering with guys and touching them during PE.
    So how about a stop to anti-*** attitude here, ok?
    For those of us NOT still in high school, showering with guys and touching them during PE would be highly inappropriate. Sharing a bed with them for "companionship" would, too.

    Which leads us to....

    Michael Jackson went to court several times for inappropriate behavior towards young male children, settled one suit against him for $1 million, and admitted in court that he slept in the same bed with 12-14 year-old-boys for "companionship." Let's be clear about who is what.
    Which part do you object to?
    That he slept with (for companionship, NOT actually for lewd purposes) males? Or that his bed contained people much younger than him? Or are both of them together somehow even more objectionable?

    Oh, and Mr. Jackson's estate only owns the second half of the Beatle's catalog, the part Allan Klein sold off. They don't own the first half. So they will only get a percentage of one-half of this windfall profits that EMI/Apple/Apple/Capitol/The Beatles and their estates will reap. Might as well get our facts straight.
    Yep. Since the only rights they hold here are "mechanical reproduction" rights to the songs, its even smaller. If they could argue that they're entitled to "print publishing" royalties too, I would LOL pretty hard but it seems wildly improbable.

    ....

    It bothers me less that people would mock the Beatles (or MJ) for gender anomalies, than that people who raise such mockery be themselves quieted.

    Bigots who spew vile, hateful venom - hurt people's feelings. That's pretty sad. But.... they also open a door that can't easily be shut. Google "Archie Bunker". On the other hand, Closed-minded, closed-mouthed haters who keep their anger bottled up, are the ones that bear most watching when that bottle opens.

    P.S. if u highlight this text, it automatically turns u g4y. 100% fact.
    Last edited by raduga; 11-19-2010 at 12:28 AM. Reason: MotoAurged Doublepluspost

  10. #29
    The Dude Abides mr117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    595
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts

    Let's see- one small grammar error (though I like things to be perfect, all I'll say is, oops).

    Homosexuals have not been shown to hate straight people, or to commit hate crimes upon them. They don't rape people to the degree straight people do (or much at all). The worst I've ever been called is a "breeder," which is both factually true and not, to my mind, a slur, merely a descriptive. And most homosexuals do not suffer from inherent self-doubt, they suffer from living in societies which denigrate their "behavior/lifestyle" as if it is a choice, not a genetic marker like left-handedness (which I "suffer" from, and which was so reviled that the word "sinister" meant left-handed). As to "gender worry," my point was that people who are highly homophobic are thought to have same and that is their reason for acting as they do. If your question is, you are worried about your gender and don't wish to be called homophobic for having those feelings of worry, I suppose only you know if you are homophobic or just worried about your own orientation. One does not necessarily lead to the other, but the latter can be tied to the former. If you "act out, " as you say, making slurs and/or physical attacks (am I reading your point correctly?), then your behavior is overt and yes, I would consider my comment to be correct.

    I have no love for sports. My PE days are long past. However, I worked for many years in the field of professional sports, and I saw many athletes touch, hug, kiss, pat and shower with each other without being homosexual. Male bonding (or female bonding, though I didn't work in the area of female sports) does not necessarily lead to homosexuality, which is dna based, not a learned experience. Oh, and I really like my iPhone but I LOVE my wife and children.

    As to Mr. Jackson, my objection is to pedophiles, not homosexuals. Can anyone defend a pedophile? If you are a parent, will you allow a famous music star to sleep (for companionship!) with your 13-year-old child? If Mr. Jackson chose to sleep (for companionship or sex) with adults, I would have had no objection. Every adult has the right to choose his own (willing) partners. That's a basic human right. To have questionable contact with children is not, and should rightfully be both censured and punished.

    As to the rest of your post I am mostly in agreement.

    I had issues with All in the Family, as I thought the line between showing bigotry to illuminate it and showing it to revel in it was sometimes blurred, if not for the makers then for the viewers.

    As to open mouthed vs. closed mouth bigots, both worry me. I can only deal here with the open mouthed ones, as they are speaking out in a bigoted manner. I don't know who the others are until they speak or act or pass a bill which becomes a bigoted law. I agree they are more dangerous, but the ones who speak out can at least be answered directly, in the light of day, for all to see.
    Senior

  11. #30
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    604
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 145 Times in 75 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    Let's see- one small grammar error (though I like things to be perfect, all I'll say is, oops).

    Homosexuals have not been shown to hate straight people, or to commit hate crimes upon them. They don't rape people to the degree straight people do (or much at all). The worst I've ever been called is a "breeder," which is both factually true and not, to my mind, a slur, merely a descriptive. And most homosexuals do not suffer from inherent self-doubt, they suffer from living in societies which denigrate their "behavior/lifestyle" as if it is a choice, not a genetic marker like left-handedness (which I "suffer" from, and which was so reviled that the word "sinister" meant left-handed). As to "gender worry," my point was that people who are highly homophobic are thought to have same and that is their reason for acting as they do. If your question is, you are worried about your gender and don't wish to be called homophobic for having those feelings of worry, I suppose only you know if you are homophobic or just worried about your own orientation. One does not necessarily lead to the other, but the latter can be tied to the former. If you "act out, " as you say, making slurs and/or physical attacks (am I reading your point correctly?), then your behavior is overt and yes, I would consider my comment to be correct.

    I have no love for sports. My PE days are long past. However, I worked for many years in the field of professional sports, and I saw many athletes touch, hug, kiss, pat and shower with each other without being homosexual. Male bonding (or female bonding, though I didn't work in the area of female sports) does not necessarily lead to homosexuality, which is dna based, not a learned experience. Oh, and I really like my iPhone but I LOVE my wife and children.

    As to Mr. Jackson, my objection is to pedophiles, not homosexuals. Can anyone defend a pedophile? If you are a parent, will you allow a famous music star to sleep (for companionship!) with your 13-year-old child? If Mr. Jackson chose to sleep (for companionship or sex) with adults, I would have had no objection. Every adult has the right to choose his own (willing) partners. That's a basic human right. To have questionable contact with children is not, and should rightfully be both censured and punished.

    As to the rest of your post I am mostly in agreement.

    I had issues with All in the Family, as I thought the line between showing bigotry to illuminate it and showing it to revel in it was sometimes blurred, if not for the makers then for the viewers.

    As to open mouthed vs. closed mouth bigots, both worry me. I can only deal here with the open mouthed ones, as they are speaking out in a bigoted manner. I don't know who the others are until they speak or act or pass a bill which becomes a bigoted law. I agree they are more dangerous, but the ones who speak out can at least be answered directly, in the light of day, for all to see.
    How did this tread end up being about homos and M. Jackson?
    [SIGPIC]

  12. #31
    The Dude Abides mr117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    595
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts

    Um- because some mouth breather used the three-letter word for homosexual in relation to the Beatles being a bit too friendly to each other, in their opinion. And here you are continuing the tradition with the four-letter word for homosexual.

    "Mr." Jackson was brought into it because he (and now his estate) owns a good part of the Beatle publishing, and much of the profits will flow to him/them. So, logically, in a discussion about the gender orientation of a band well-known for its womanizing, a discussion of a man well-known for being a pedophile seemed in order as well.

    Isn't Utah, where your sig says you are living, that place where polygamy was legal, and is still practiced in the hinterlands?
    Senior

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts