Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Intel to Debut Sandy Bridge Processors at CES 2011

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Intel to Debut Sandy Bridge Processors at CES 2011

Our first glimpse at the "world's fastest processor" will take place on January 5th, when Intel will formally unveil and launch its Sandy Bridge processors at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show. How do we know? Intel has begun sending out invitations to the event confirming the big reveal. Branded the "second generation Intel Core processors," many have also started speculating as to how these little beauties could eventually factor into Apple's product lines.

"Desktop chips will range from dual 2.5 GHz Core i3s to quad 3.4 GHz Core i7s. Regular notebooks will get dual 2.5GHz to 2.7GHz Core i5 and i7 chips in the first batch of processors, and desktop replacements will get quad 2.2GHz through to 2.5GHz Core i7s," one report noted. However, the now-scheduled arrival of the new processors has been hyped for months, perhaps most notably by Intel chief Paul Otellini who stated last summer that he is personally more excited about Sandy Bridge than just about any other Intel offering in many years.

"Due to the very strong reception of Sandy Bridge, we have accelerated our 32-nanometer factory ramp and have raised our capex guidance to enable us to meet the anticipated demand," Otellini told investors during an Intel earnings call last summer, leading many to believe that the processors would turn up in late 2010 and in time for Apple to use for a Mac refresh. Apple, though, has expressed no shortage of frustration with Intel, especially with regard to Intel's Atom chips. Initially, as you may recall, there was ample talk of the iPad serving up an Atom chip, but those plans were reportedly scrapped due to battery-drainage issues.

The extent to which Apple will capitalize on the "world's fastest processor" isn't yet known or even particularly clear. But it will be interesting to watch Intel step up to the plate with a much-hyped new offering that, based on Intel's level of excitement - could be a game changer in its own right.

CES 2011

Apple Insider

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (11-16-2010), coolguy742 (11-17-2010)

Remember when the P4 first came out? Everyone was like "OOHH YEAH!"

Then AMD released true 64 bit, and intel had to suck it for a while.

This will be similar, I expect.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice thats nice
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

I'm a n00b, can someone tell me what are i5s and i7s please??

processors.

Twitter: @tshoults

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vruls View Post
    I'm a n00b, can someone tell me what are i5s and i7s please??
    They're Intel processors

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_i5]Intel Core i5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_i7]Intel Core i7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Great... I was just looking at buying a MBP at Best Buy's black Friday sale. Now I am torn
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Great... I was just looking at buying a MBP at Best Buy's black Friday sale. Now I am torn
    don't buy anything. the update will be soon. check macrumors calendar.

Twitter: @tshoults

12. The Following User Says Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

MaxRabbit (11-16-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaxRabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

Yep moon#pie is quite right, see: Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

Past the average update cycle.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

urgh! Braingasm! THAT IS SO COOL!!!!!