Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Consumer Reports Rates New MacBook Airs Best in Class

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Consumer Reports Rates New MacBook Airs Best in Class

In an update to its ratings of desktop and laptop computers published this week, Consumer Reports has given the new unibody 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Air models the best ratings in their size classes. Despite taking into consideration the fact that Apple systems are more expensive than their competitors, CR gave the newest MacBooks top ratings for their performance, display and ergonomics, and scored the 13-inch model the same as the 15-inch MacBook Pro for second place overall... behind the top-rated 17-inch MacBook Pro.

Consumer Reports published its new Computer Ratings this week, reviewing 42 desktop computers, 70 laptops and 21 netbooks. The new ultralight 11-inch Air scored 67 out of a possible 100 points, winning that size class by a large margin over the only competition, a Toshiba Satellite Pro which got 51 points. CR gave the smallest Air a "very good" for Ergonomics and Display, a "fair" in Versatility and Speakers, and a "good" in Performance. The 13-inch model scored a 78 points to beat the Toshiba Portege's 76 points, and earned "very good" in Performance, Ergonomics, and Display, "good" in Speakers, and "fair" in Versatility.

Following the Portege on the top of the 13-inch class were two MacBook Pro models which scored 73 and 72 points for third and fourth place, respectively. The 2.53GHz Core i5 15-inch MacBook Pro won top honors in the 15- to 16-inch category, and the 17-inch MacBook Pro was the highest rated laptop in the 17- to 18-inch category.

Source: AppleInsider
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 11-11-2010 at 02:24 PM.

I love my 13" MBA. And the best thing about it is it doesnt get hot when its on your lap
    Apples taste good. PwnApples taste better!

What does this have to do with the iPhone?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Nice but I think they aren't manly for me...I need more metal on my lap
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    Nice but I think they aren't manly for me...I need more metal on my lap
    and I need more performance on mine...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to athleticswimmer For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (11-12-2010), gbarielmoreno (11-11-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Daniel Ash View Post
    Despite taking into consideration the fact that Apple systems are more expensive than their competitors, CR gave the newest MacBooks top ratings...
    This is the key phrase here. The new Airs are amazing computers, but not exactly a fair comparison when you have things like the eee and the MSI Wind in the same category that cost 1/3 what the airs do...

Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
    and I need more performance on mine...
    If you need more performance, you are not in the market for a netbook. Simple as that...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-11-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (11-12-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    This is the key phrase here. The new Airs are amazing computers, but not exactly a fair comparison when you have things like the eee and the MSI Wind in the same category that cost 1/3 what the airs do...

If you need more performance, you are not in the market for a netbook. Simple as that...
    You meant NOTEBOOK, right, the air is not a NETBOOK!! Don't make me slap you.
    "僕はアニメが好きです!!!"
    "一遍死んで見る" ---閻魔あい, 地獄少女

"Humans are greedy, therefore they are human, you do well to remember that."
    "Go ahead and shoot me if you want, but... I think you'll wish you'd saved your ammunition later."

---Armblast, GOTT Auditor and ES Member

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    What does this have to do with the iPhone?
    It doesn't, that's why it's in the Mac section
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XenoSaber View Post
    You meant NOTEBOOK, right, the air is not a NETBOOK!! Don't make me slap you.
    No, no. These are still netbooks. Apple just doesn't want to call them that.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

But there not, the MacBook airs aren't netbooks they don't have intel atom processors they have full laptop processors..... The screensize isn't the only thing that makes a product a netbook. The portege isn't a netbook and the air scored higher than that.

Send

If you need more performance, you are not in the market for a netbook. Simple as that...[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    It doesn't, that's why it's in the Mac section
    I never look at the Mac section as I have no interest in Macs.

I see this in the iPhone News section and, as you say, it has absolutely nothing to do with the iPhone
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
    But there not, the MacBook airs aren't netbooks they don't have intel atom processors they have full laptop processors..... The screensize isn't the only thing that makes a product a netbook. The portege isn't a netbook and the air scored higher than that.

Send

[/QUOTE]

Forgive me. It uses a super lightweight mobile version of a core2 duo. You're right. THat makes it COMPLETELY different...

A netbook is simply defined as smaller, more lightweight, and less expensive (than a notebook). Minus the expense, I would say the air fits all of those categories quite nicely.

Here are some quotes from CNET that I pulled from wikipedia

"CNET called netbooks "nothing more than smaller, cheaper notebooks," noting, "the specs are so similar that the average shopper would likely be confused as to why one is better than the other," and "the only conclusion is that there really is no distinction between the devices."

I never look at the Mac section as I have no interest in Macs.

I see this in the iPhone News section and, as you say, it has absolutely nothing to do with the iPhone
    It's pretty clear to me that it was mistakenly put here.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-11-2010 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

It's pretty clear to me that it was mistakenly put here.
    You mean just like all the other Macbook Air stories that have appeared under iPhone News recently?

It fits most of the criteria to be called a netbook. But it doesn't fit all the requirements to be a netbook. I wouldn't call it a notebook either since it doesn't have a built in optical drive.

So I'd say the Macbook Air is in a class of it's own.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by topless1967stang View Post

So I'd say the Macbook Air is in a class of it's own.
    Apple has one yet another person over... *sigh*

You mean just like all the other Macbook Air stories that have appeared under iPhone News recently?
    We are all human and make mistakes. What's the point of even bringing it up? It is clear to everyone looking here (even by the title) that this has nothing to do with the iPhone. So it's in the wrong section. Big deal...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-11-2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I really need to start saving for this one!

Are there any netbooks that come equipped with a dual core processor and 4Gb of ram? Ive never really looked at netbook specs but id say the air has way more performance than a netbook and does not belong in the netbook category. But like i said i could be mistaken cause ive never actually looked into netbook specs.
    Apples taste good. PwnApples taste better!

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaxRabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

sziklassy, are you having a bad day? I honestly thought you were level-headed, but you today you seem unwilling to even consider another's point of view.

Personally, I think there is no way that the Macbook Air is a netbook. Based on the definition of a netbook (no, it's not Webster, but it is accurate), these are why the Macbook Air cannot be classified as a netbook:
    1) Screen size is far too big. Netbooks originated at 7 inches. Macbook Airs began at 13.
    2) Macbook Air contains a full size keyboard, uncommon on netbooks.
    3) The 11 inch version, the closest to the netbook size, does not contain an SD card reader. Netbooks were designed to have SD card readers.
    4) Obviously, price range.

Now that's from definition alone. Based on the name - "net"book for browsing the web, netbooks are intended for a single purpose. The Macbook Air contains a dual core processor, obviously designed to multitask. Very few netbooks contain anything but a single core processor.

So yes, they do have 1) SSD storage and 2) no CD/DVD drive, but a couple similarities do not make brothers.

P.S. I can see the annoyance in this being in iPhone news. Some people have so much news already that every unnecessary article is greatly annoying.

It was moved from iPhone news section to Mac news a hour or so ago.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

confucious (11-12-2010), MaxRabbit (11-11-2010), Poseidon79 (11-11-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

why is this making news? "The newest macbook is the best" well duh? isnt that why its the latest? the most elite? or am i missing something like seriously.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast