+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Consumer Reports Rates New MacBook Airs Best in Class

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by CynicalDriver By your standards: •Macs don't compete with PCs •MacBooks don't compete with Laptops •iPhones don't compete with smartphones •iPods don't compete with MP3 players •OSX doesn't
    iPhone? More like MyPhone MaxRabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    By your standards:
    •Macs don't compete with PCs
    •MacBooks don't compete with Laptops
    •iPhones don't compete with smartphones
    •iPods don't compete with MP3 players
    •OSX doesn't compete with Windows
    I still fail to see how that's the argument I'm making. I have no experience with Macs, but on the iPhone argument: I agree that they do compete with today's smartphones. They have a purpose of making a call, but include the extra features of web browsing, email, mms, and the like. The hardware is nearly identical: camera, one headphone jack, touch display, etc.

However, change the hardware of that smartphone to include a tactile keyboard. What does it become? A messaging phone. The iPhone is not a messaging phone. See how changing the hardware can change the category?

My argument is more like:
    An iPod Nano does not compete with a [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZEN_Vision:M]Creative ZEN Vision M[/ame], because they are two different classes: one, an MP3 player with small storage and a small screen, the other, a PMP (portable media player) with a slightly larger screen, support for video out, and much larger storage.

That's the argument that I am making that a Macbook Air is not in the netbook class; it has different intended features and different hardware.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
    that just might be it....ive never used a MBA but to me the specs and price just dont match up because, like you said, some people need alot of "horse power" for video/audio editing. and the Air boots up in 20 sec....gotta see it to believe it?
    When the specs first came out I laughed... I saw a 1.4Ghz processor and said "forget it!". Then I started to read the tech reviews and how snappy they said this thing was and it caught my interest. Finally I went down to the Apple store and put a MBP and the 11" Air side by side and did the same basic tasks as listed above and to my surprise the Air responded better because of the SSD. I took a stop watch to the boot time and got 20 seconds... shut down time... 2 seconds lol. I was in love So 2 weeks later I got my very own with 4GB RAM and the 1.6Ghz processor with 128GB HD. I have a custom built PC with 4 TB drive space for all my music and video which I stream to all my iDevices and my Air with no issues wether remotely or on my WIFI network. I recommend going to the store when you get a change to see it for yourself first hand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRabbit View Post
    I still fail to see how that's the argument I'm making. I have no experience with Macs, but on the iPhone argument: I agree that they do compete with today's smartphones. They have a purpose of making a call, but include the extra features of web browsing, email, mms, and the like. The hardware is nearly identical: camera, one headphone jack, touch display, etc.

However, change the hardware of that smartphone to include a tactile keyboard. What does it become? A messaging phone. The iPhone is not a messaging phone. See how changing the hardware can change the category?
    [/quote]

So the Droid isn't a smartphone? You've just relegated it to "glorified texter" status, lmao!

A "messaging phone" runs a standard cell-phone style OS, they just add a full keyboard, HUGE difference. They also don't have app stores, mostly crappy java games that cost way too much on a "provider store" which is a nice way of saying "rip-off counter."

I see the problem now, you don't give any "standard" categories any credit, only YOUR idea of those categories.

My argument is more like:
    An iPod Nano does not compete with a [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZEN_Vision:M]Creative ZEN Vision M[/ame], because they are two different classes: one, an MP3 player with small storage and a small screen, the other, a PMP (portable media player) with a slightly larger screen, support for video out, and much larger storage.

That's the argument that I am making that a Macbook Air is not in the netbook class; it has different intended features and different hardware.
    That's a VERY bad comparison! The Zen Vision M is designed to compete with a full size iPod, NOT the iPod nano.

Since you love sources so much...
    Here:
    Zen/iPod: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3000_7-6417634-1.html
    Smartphones: http://cell-phones.toptenreviews.com/smartphones/
    Messaging Phones: http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6454_7-6647111.html
    Laptop Classes: http://www.suite101.com/content/lapt...erence-a249230

Notice the last link. Read it, and pay special attention to the "Ultra-Portable" section, which squarely pegs a MacBook Air. Also, note the "commonly referred to as 'netbooks'" bit, I love that part the most.

Update your own definitions/classes/categories to what everyone else already knows and we can stop this ridiculous Apple-classing thing that Steve Jobs is pushing for. Whether you own a Mac or not, you are defining things the way he would like you to. It allows his products to look superior because you can say "It's not a netbook, it's a MacBook Lite!"

Newsflash: "Netbooks" ARE "Lite" notebooks!
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123