+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Consumer Reports Rates New MacBook Airs Best in Class

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by hitman10 why is this making news? "The newest macbook is the best" well duh? isnt that why its the latest? the most elite? or am i missing
...
  1. #21
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    398
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    why is this making news? "The newest macbook is the best" well duh? isnt that why its the latest? the most elite? or am i missing something like seriously.
    You're missing that the comparison was between the latest models from each manufacturer in each class. So the Macs were competing against PC equivalents.

    As for the idea that this isn't a netbook: it has no optical drive, no card reader (13" does have SD reader), only 2 USB ports, lower end "mobile type" processor, and small screen real-estate.

    The only thing that separates the Airs from any other netbook is the graphics chip, made by nVidia, and even that is not a great offering.

    A MacBook Air IS a netbook.

    Saying that it's not a netbook "because it doesn't have a card reader" is the most flawed logic I have seen on this site so far...

    So... It's better than a netbook because it does... LESS??
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to CynicalDriver For This Useful Post:

    CaptainChaos (11-12-2010)

  3. #22
    iPhoneaholic gary86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    331
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts

    1st: My 13" MBA has run the same programs as my friends 15" MBP and did everything faster or the same speed.

    2nd: If you don't have anything constructive to say other then " I need more metal" then just shut up. Hate when people feel they have to dog a product because they don't like it. NO ONE ASKED YOU FOR YOUR OPINION.

    3rd: It's not a netbook, check the Apple site for the description.

  4. #23
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,265
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    Def not a netbook mainly because of the FULL size keyboard. The 320M graphics card make this think kick everything else's butt in it's class. There are several performance reviews that say the Airs compete with low end laptops just fine. The SSD really closes the deal with the day to day speed increase. No optical drive.. haha... I didn't use the optical drive in my MBP in the 18 months I owned it. Everything is avilable via download and storage is all flash drives these days. The days of the optical drive are almost over for portable computers people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #24
    My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    835
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 48 Times in 44 Posts

    this makes me want one more
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

  6. #25
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    167
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts

    is this engadget.com

  7. #26
    iPhone? More like MyPhone MaxRabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    272
    Thanks
    199
    Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    Saying that it's not a netbook "because it doesn't have a card reader" is the most flawed logic I have seen on this site so far...

    So... It's better than a netbook because it does... LESS??
    What? Whoever said "better"? I didn't see anyone say it was better than a netbook (or worse than a netbook), only that it is different than a netbook.

    Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    As for the idea that this isn't a netbook: it has no optical drive, no card reader (13" does have SD reader), only 2 USB ports, lower end "mobile type" processor, and small screen real-estate.

    A MacBook Air IS a netbook.
    That argument makes very little sense either. Have you actually done any research? Netbooks are designed with at least THREE USB ports and a card reader (RESEARCH and RESEARCH). Unless they have changed what you learn in elementary school since I've been out, 3 USB ports does not equal 2 USB ports, and 1 card reader does not equal no card reader.

    Have you actually completed a single year of high school yet? I find it hard to believe you have, as you can't even think before you make an argument.

    I'm willing to listen to anyone that has a different view than I do, but have the self-respect to actually have support for that view.
    Last edited by MaxRabbit; 11-11-2010 at 09:34 PM.

  8. #27
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    398
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxRabbit View Post
    What? Whoever said "better"? I didn't see anyone say it was better than a netbook (or worse than a netbook), only that it is different than a netbook.


    That argument makes very little sense either. Have you actually done any research? Netbooks are designed with at least THREE USB ports and a card reader (RESEARCH and RESEARCH). Unless they have changed what you learn in elementary school since I've been out, 3 USB ports does not equal 2 USB ports, and 1 card reader does not equal no card reader.

    Have you actually completed a single year of high school yet? I find it hard to believe you have, as you can't even think before you make an argument.

    I'm willing to listen to anyone that has a different view than I do, but have the self-respect to actually have support for that view.
    Again, you're saying it's better because it does less. 3 > 2 genius!

    If it's not a netbook, and it's not a notebook, then what exactly is the class that it's best in?

    It competes with netbooks, it looks like a netbook, it acts like a netbook, and it IS a netbook.

    You may not use an optical drive, but some of use use our laptops for more than Facebook and music. I use mine to play/burn DVD's, burn CDs for my car (which does not have an aux port, and FM tuners blow if you get anywhere near a city,) play games (as in, REAL games,) word processing, a wireless laser mouse, my phone for tethering, an external drive (because 320gb isn't enough for me no matter how fast it is,) graphic editing...

    Yes, it PERFORMS better than the competition, BUT it's still competing in the NETBOOK class, no matter how Jobs wants to "describe" it.

    Next you'll be saying the iPad doesn't compete with other tablets. God I hate fanboys. Get over yourself and your over-applefied life.

    You're not willing to listen to a differing opinion! You completely overlook the actual point of an argument, and instead make stupid accusatory remarks based on inconsistencies with your own idea of a utopian world.

    Go ahead, keep thinking that every Apple product is "something different" so you can justify the bloated pricing. You're hero Jobs will just keep laughing all the way to the bank.

    **Netbook: a small, portable laptop computer specifically designed for wireless communication and access to the Internet. Usually equipped with a small monitor, 9-10 inches, and lacking a CD/DVD drive, but considerably lighter than common 14" and 15.4" laptops (or notebooks). To load software onto a netbook, an external CD/DVD drive is used.**

    Sound like the Air meets EVERY one of those requirements.

    My view does have support, and calling into question my age and education is extremely juvenile, especially considering the fact that I have far superior grammar skills than even some of the article writers here.

    /attitudecheckserved

    And before you bag on my car's stereo or say something really stupid like "get a new radio!" it's a premium sound system that sounds awesome. There is more to audio than bass.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

  9. #28
    iPhone? More like MyPhone skizo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    267
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts

    For what it costs, it damn well better be.

  10. #29
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
    and I need more performance on mine...
    Alert.....
    Random off topic thought.....Robot strippers......

  11. #30
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by XenoSaber View Post
    You meant NOTEBOOK, right, the air is not a NETBOOK!! Don't make me slap you.
    The only thing that makes the airs NOT a netbook is the price that's too much...

  12. #31
    iPhone? More like MyPhone MaxRabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    272
    Thanks
    199
    Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    Again, you're saying it's better because it does less. 3 > 2 genius!
    Alright, this was a very bad beginning because you didn't pay attention to the first thing that I said. Once again, I didn't say that the Macbook Air is better than a netbook. I said it was different. You're right, 3 IS greater than 2. But it's also different than 2.

    Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    If it's not a netbook, and it's not a notebook, then what exactly is the class that it's best in?

    It competes with netbooks, it looks like a netbook, it acts like a netbook, and it IS a netbook.
    Once again, you're failing to support your argument. It competes with a netbook, why? Who says? It looks like a netbook? How so? It acts like a netbook? What does a netbook act like?

    Support your argument with more than just "it is this because I think it is this" and you'll have my attention.

    Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    You may not use an optical drive, but some of use use our laptops for more than Facebook and music. I use mine to play/burn DVD's, burn CDs for my car (which does not have an aux port, and FM tuners blow if you get anywhere near a city,) play games (as in, REAL games,) word processing, a wireless laser mouse, my phone for tethering, an external drive (because 320gb isn't enough for me no matter how fast it is,) graphic editing...
    Honestly, I'm not even sure why you included this in here. If anything, I feel like you just supported my point that a netbook is intended to support these many peripherals with it's 3 USB ports, which a Macbook Air does not support.

    Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    Yes, it PERFORMS better than the competition, BUT it's still competing in the NETBOOK class, no matter how Jobs wants to "describe" it.

    Next you'll be saying the iPad doesn't compete with other tablets. God I hate fanboys. Get over yourself and your over-applefied life.

    You're not willing to listen to a differing opinion! You completely overlook the actual point of an argument, and instead make stupid accusatory remarks based on inconsistencies with your own idea of a utopian world.

    Go ahead, keep thinking that every Apple product is "something different" so you can justify the bloated pricing. You're hero Jobs will just keep laughing all the way to the bank.
    How did you jump to the conclusion that I am an Apple fanboy? I actually do not have a single Apple product (I sold my iPhone for a Samsung Captivate Android phone). You still seem unable to recognize that just because I think the Air is different than a netbook does not mean that I think it's better than a netbook. To me, the Air is useless. But a netbook is very useful, I have a couple!

    Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    **Netbook: a small, portable laptop computer specifically designed for wireless communication and access to the Internet. Usually equipped with a small monitor, 9-10 inches, and lacking a CD/DVD drive, but considerably lighter than common 14" and 15.4" laptops (or notebooks). To load software onto a netbook, an external CD/DVD drive is used.**

    Sound like the Air meets EVERY one of those requirements.

    My view does have support, and calling into question my age and education is extremely juvenile, especially considering the fact that I have far superior grammar skills than even some of the article writers here.
    Your view does have support. Up until now, it did not, but yes, I am actually beginning to see your point now (although I sadly have no idea where you got that definition; sources are good. From here?).

    So you're saying that the Macbook Air to the netbook is like the Tesla Roadster to a traditional sports car? Complete difference in build (electric versus gasoline), but still the same form factor and classification? I can see that now.

  13. #32
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
    Are there any netbooks that come equipped with a dual core processor and 4Gb of ram? Ive never really looked at netbook specs but id say the air has way more performance than a netbook and does not belong in the netbook category. But like i said i could be mistaken cause ive never actually looked into netbook specs.
    Yes, you are mistaken.

    Quote Originally Posted by gary86 View Post
    1st: My 13" MBA has run the same programs as my friends 15" MBP and did everything faster or the same speed.

    2nd: If you don't have anything constructive to say other then " I need more metal" then just shut up. Hate when people feel they have to dog a product because they don't like it. NO ONE ASKED YOU FOR YOUR OPINION.

    3rd: It's not a netbook, check the Apple site for the description.
    No one ASKED for his comment and I don't necessarily agree with it- but where do you think you are commenting? This is a FORUM. The whole concept is based on peoples OPINIONS...

    And as far as your MacBook air compared to your friends MacBook pro logic- you know, I doubt that MacBook pro exactly blazes as it is...
    Last edited by skj8100; 11-12-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  14. #33
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,825
    Thanks
    551
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    This is a netbook. And a laptop. And a notebook. And an overpriced version of all three. Drop it to $299-$499 and then you can walk away not feeling ripped off.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

    MaxRabbit (11-12-2010)

  16. #34
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Stimpy5050's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    144
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 47 Times in 32 Posts

    I have total laptop envy for my wife's 11" MBA. It's a pretty nice little machine.
    LockInfo - Unlock your information. Info Cydia

  17. #35
    moa
    moa is offline
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Apple has one yet another person over... *sigh*
    Macbook air is NOT an netbook, its CULV and that Is another case on its own.

    Just compare wPrime performance of atom processors and ULV processors.

    And better performance IS possible with ULV versions of Core i5 and i7 as was shown by acer 11" NOTEBOOK

    "NETBOOK" refers to computers with Atom chips

  18. #36
    iPhone? More like MyPhone MaxRabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    272
    Thanks
    199
    Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by moa View Post
    Macbook air is NOT an netbook, its CULV and that Is another case on its own.

    "NETBOOK" refers to computers with Atom chips
    Wow, you just made the worst argument of them all. You used opinion and not fact. The very first netbook did not contain an Atom chip. What kind of CPU did it have? Oh, that's right - the Celeron M CULV chip. I support that the Macbook Air is not a netbook, but your argument is ridiculous.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to MaxRabbit For This Useful Post:

    CaptainChaos (11-12-2010)

  20. #37
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    304
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by skj8100 View Post
    The only thing that makes the airs NOT a netbook is the price that's too much...
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    This is a netbook. And a laptop. And a notebook. And an overpriced version of all three. Drop it to $299-$499 and then you can walk away not feeling ripped off.

    yes!!! I can get way better specs for about the same money with the macbook pro's for what? Xtreme portability and Xtremely light weighted???? idont think so...anyone want to prove me wrong just go ahead! if you want a "mac" netbook or watever the air is and have $1500 to spare, then get one of the macbook pro's the only difference is the wight cuz they do sell 13" MBP's unless you want to waste idk? $300!!!! people keep saying "then your not in the market for netbooks" thats not true maybe I am! and if I so happen to want a mac then why dont I just get a MBPro if its way faster for the same price!!! maybe it weighs a little more but seriously(common sense)!!!! just my 2 cents in my wallet

  21. #38
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,265
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    The 11" MBA is just as fast.. if not faster for 90% of everyday tasks like web browsing, email, MS Office, iTunes, watching HD Video... etc. For the vast MINORITY of people that need lots of horse power for video/audio editing and encoding this is not the set up for you. For me it's a dream come true.. a computer that doesn't get hot and doesn't feel like a brick on my lap and does everything I need it to without fail. The 30 day standby time is amazing too... I had to shut my MBP down every time I'd put it down which was so annoying since it took 2 mins to boot up compared to 20 seconds on the Air.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  22. #39
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    398
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxRabbit View Post
    Alright, this was a very bad beginning because you didn't pay attention to the first thing that I said. Once again, I didn't say that the Macbook Air is better than a netbook. I said it was different. You're right, 3 IS greater than 2. But it's also different than 2.
    Netbooks are limited in their feature sets in comparison to full size laptops, just like laptops are limited compared to desktops. It may not be the "same" as every other netbook out there, but it still competes with them.

    The reason it competes is because someone would buy one for all the same reasons:

    Size
    Portability
    Reasonable performance (not great)
    Ease of use while on the go
    A corporation with a Mac network would also consider buying these instead of a normal netbook because it provides all those qualities and acts better with a Mac-net.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxRabbit View Post
    Once again, you're failing to support your argument. It competes with a netbook, why? Who says? It looks like a netbook? How so? It acts like a netbook? What does a netbook act like?

    Support your argument with more than just "it is this because I think it is this" and you'll have my attention.
    See above

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxRabbit View Post
    Honestly, I'm not even sure why you included this in here. If anything, I feel like you just supported my point that a netbook is intended to support these many peripherals with it's 3 USB ports, which a Macbook Air does not support.
    I included that because you stated that you don't use an optical drive, and that everything is available for download anyway. While this may be slightly true, I'd rather not waste precious HD space on iTunes movies, and last I checked; most car audio systems do still have CD players, and while some do have USB and Aux ports, not all do.

    I was pointing out that there IS still a place for optical media.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxRabbit View Post
    How did you jump to the conclusion that I am an Apple fanboy? I actually do not have a single Apple product (I sold my iPhone for a Samsung Captivate Android phone). You still seem unable to recognize that just because I think the Air is different than a netbook does not mean that I think it's better than a netbook. To me, the Air is useless. But a netbook is very useful, I have a couple!
    [/QUOTE]


    Usually only a fanboy would come at this argument the way in which you have. Saying it's different because it costs more, and has less, is about the single most OPINIONATED thing I can imagine anyone saying.

    By your standards:
    •Macs don't compete with PCs
    •MacBooks don't compete with Laptops
    •iPhones don't compete with smartphones
    •iPods don't compete with MP3 players
    •OSX doesn't compete with Windows

    Apple ALWAYS does things different, and they cost more, though the software is usually cheaper. So, they must be in a class by themselves just because they're "different."

    If you don't own any Apple products... You know what I'm going to ask.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxRabbit View Post
    Your view does have support. Up until now, it did not, but yes, I am actually beginning to see your point now (although I sadly have no idea where you got that definition; sources are good. From here?).

    So you're saying that the Macbook Air to the netbook is like the Tesla Roadster to a traditional sports car? Complete difference in build (electric versus gasoline), but still the same form factor and classification? I can see that now.
    1) Yes, that is where I got the definition from. It had the least to do with actual hardware nit-picking, and the most to do with actual reasons to buy a small "ultra-portable" computer.

    2) That's not exactly what I'm saying, but close. They may be different, but the base pinnings are all the same, which I got into earlier in this post.

    A Tesla Roadster is still a sports car, it may be electric, and cost more; but it's a car, and it goes really quick. It can't be called a super-car because it'll get trounced by a Lamborgini Murcielago, Mercedes SLR, or Pagani Zonda pretty handily.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

  23. #40
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    304
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    The 11" MBA is just as fast.. if not faster for 90% of everyday tasks like web browsing, email, MS Office, iTunes, watching HD Video... etc. For the vast MINORITY of people that need lots of horse power for video/audio editing and encoding this is not the set up for you. For me it's a dream come true.. a computer that doesn't get hot and doesn't feel like a brick on my lap and does everything I need it to without fail. The 30 day standby time is amazing too... I had to shut my MBP down every time I'd put it down which was so annoying since it took 2 mins to boot up compared to 20 seconds on the Air.
    that just might be it....ive never used a MBA but to me the specs and price just dont match up because, like you said, some people need alot of "horse power" for video/audio editing. and the Air boots up in 20 sec....gotta see it to believe it?

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts