+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Steve Jobs Once Again Handles Apple Customer Service

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Talk about quality customer care. How many major companies can you issue a complaint with only to hear from the CEO himself just a few short hours later? Well, apparently
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Steve Jobs Once Again Handles Apple Customer Service

Talk about quality customer care. How many major companies can you issue a complaint with only to hear from the CEO himself just a few short hours later? Well, apparently one disgruntled developer had a similar experience with Apple after his app was denied access to the Holy Grail (the iPad App Store). And Steve Jobs picked up the phone to address the matter personally.

Seattle-based developer Ram Arumugam was angry - very angry - that his "Economy for iPad" app was shot down. It later turns out that the app was riddled with the dreaded non-public code that Apple runs from at all costs. Arumugam, however, contended that he used the big, bad private API to "work around a problem with the on-screen keyboard," which he was having trouble removing from the screen after the user was finished typing. According to the Seattle Times, Arumugam made an appeal to the app-review board regarding the issue. And when he didn't receive any satisfaction, he contacted Steve Jobs via email. Two hours later, the phone rang.

It was Steve.

"I was very surprised," Ram told the paper. "I was not even sure whether he would have time to read the e-mail." The outcome of the conversation, however, resulted in Ram's app finally getting into the App Store. It took a conversation with Jobs to get Ram to drop the troublesome code. Subsequently, we now have the privilege of checking out the $2.99 app that sparked so much widespread attention. For Ram, of course, the ordeal was worth it. The dev was happy to report that his economic stat-filled app is now the top selling paid app in the finance category of the iPad App Store.

Seattle Times
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 11-11-2010 at 10:34 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (11-11-2010), reaves205 (11-11-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

This gives me hope that Steve isn't really a machine....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagleye For This Useful Post:

UiK (11-11-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

The code was still removed. So still no bending by the Apple gurus. I just have to tell myself it is for the best seeing as how no restrictions would litter the AppStore with poorly coded apps which in turn would reflect negatively on the whole iOS experience.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

Danielcg (11-12-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    No. It's in fact the opposite for me. No CEO(and the one from Apple for that matter) would have the time to respond to a random dev personally. Steve Jobs isn't controlling anything, I'm pretty sure he's just a puppet.
    For **** sakes you mods are amateurs! Why are you trashing my scene!!! Seriously you and me we're done professionally.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eagleye View Post
    this gives me hope that steve isn't really a machine....
    lmmfgdao!!!!!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Bale View Post
    No. It's in fact the opposite for me. No CEO(and the one from Apple for that matter) would have the time to respond to a random dev personally. Steve Jobs isn't controlling anything, I'm pretty sure he's just a puppet.
    Apple has always been known for its customer service. Stuff like this is just a PR stunt. Makes the company look good.

Thanks

"Subsequently, we now the privilege of checking out the $2.99 app that caused such a raucous."

Sentence fail: The word "have" is missing and "raucous" is an adjective; not a noun like "ruckus".

Thanks

Stuff like this is just a PR stunt. Makes the company look good.
    I'm pretty sure he's just a puppet.
    Cynical much? Yes, it does make the company good. So does good customer service. So do good products. Is that all just a PR stunt too? Doesn't running a good company overall result in a company that looks good? Why can't we just say that they're a good company instead of saying that it's all just a "PR stunt"? Do you think Apple (and Steve Jobs in particular) is that worried about their PR right now? Their market cap has surpassed Microsoft and their stock is at an all-time high. They're doing just fine without personal calls to developers.

And the assertion that Steven Jobs is a puppet is one of the most ridiculous ones yet. It just goes to show you don't know much about the history of Apple or Steve Jobs. The man's not perfect and I'm sure he's got many flaws, but a puppet he is not. He's the epitome of controlling (to an unhealthy degree some might say) but it's gotten Apple to where they are today. Watch Pirates of Silicon Valley again if you need a reminder.

ADF
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Bale View Post
    You're the puppet.
    This message was K1NG approved.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADF For This Useful Post:

Danielcg (11-12-2010), Funked (11-12-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post
    ...Seattle-based developer Ram Arumugam was angry - very angry - that his "Economy for iPad" app was shot down....

Seattle Times
    Where the hell does the Seattle Times story or Ram's blog say anything about being angry, let alone very angry? For that matter, there is not a single instance of the word "angry" in either. Frustrated, sure.

There's no story here. Developer makes app. App violates app store policy and gets rejected. Developer whines to Steve. Steve tells developer no exception. Developer removes violating code and re-submits app. App gets accepted. Big deal.

Do us all a favor Essany, cut the sensationalist crap. I'll probably get another infraction for this post, but I'm really getting tired of crap getting in the way of reading quality news.
    Last edited by Rokesomesmeefer; 11-11-2010 at 10:40 AM.

15. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Rokesomesmeefer For This Useful Post:

Bluprint (11-11-2010), C-dub (11-12-2010), Danielcg (11-12-2010), diemuse (11-11-2010), EdmundGerber (11-11-2010), Funked (11-12-2010), mortopher (11-11-2010), raaron12 (11-19-2010), skattrbrain (11-11-2010), SoopaNutz (11-12-2010)

Thanks

This is a Messanny article so during the call Steve must have hinted that the iPhone was coming to Verizon. Or he prolly called from his Verizon iPhone. Or he was working having homo-erotic secks with the Verizon "can you hear me now" guy while making the call......

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jdm.accord For This Useful Post:

2006yamahaR6 (11-11-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ugh what a horrible article. Riddled with the dreaded non-public code? You obviously didn't read the article.

What I don't understand, and neither article mentions it; is why did he remove the code? Did Steve just explain to him why he had to, or did he somehow explain how he could do the same thing without using the private API's?

In other words did he just tell him not to use it, or actually provide him with some coding tips so he could remove it?

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Steve has plenty of time for phone calls and emails. As I understand it Jobs has no less than 15 clones, two of which have only the task of customer control and a mere five clones dedicating themselves to total world domination. That leaves at least 8 clones remaining to run the company.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to politicalslug For This Useful Post:

mortopher (11-11-2010), raaron12 (11-19-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Is this the latest way to get your app purchased then. Viral advertising about having a problem with Apple blah blah to make people want to look at the product.
    Fair play i suppose if so many people will pay $2.99 just to take a look what all the fuss is about

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I cant imagine how shocked the guy must have been.....

*ring! ring!
    * WHAT NOW!!!...*pick up phone* who are YOU!!?
    * im steve jobs ****!

sorry for inappropriate language.....

Thanks

So the developer followed Apple's guidelines and surprise it got approved. The fact that it took a call from Steve Jobs to get him to do this is ridiculous. I suspect this was more a case of developer incompetence than a problem with the API. Not sure the app sounds like its worth the download... But I'm sure the publicity of a so-called phone call from Steve Jobs helped his sales. Was that even confirmed?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by domenicp View Post
    So the developer followed Apple's guidelines and surprise it got approved. The fact that it took a call from Steve Jobs to get him to do this is ridiculous. I suspect this was more a case of developer incompetence than a problem with the API. Not sure the app sounds like its worth the download... But I'm sure the publicity of a so-called phone call from Steve Jobs helped his sales. Was that even confirmed?
    Of course not. Had it been confirmed, it wouldn't be reported to us by Michael Essany.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rokesomesmeefer For This Useful Post:

AnthonyGiola (11-11-2010), punjabi212 (11-11-2010)

Undisputed Theme Champ AnthonyGiola's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    Of course not. Had it been confirmed, it wouldn't be reported to us by Michael Essany.
    LOL made my day man.

Thanks

Maybe he is a machine, just with good customer service programming
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

Ro-Steve-O disagrees...