+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BBC iPlayer Available Outside the UK Next Year

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default BBC iPlayer Available Outside the UK Next Year

The BBC’s iPlayer website will be available globally starting next year. Fans of Dr. Who and Top Gear will finally be able to watch BBC programming directly from the web. Currently, BBC programming is limited to residents of the UK who must pay a yearly television-licensing fee. When you try to watch a program from outside the UK you are greeted with a message saying “Not available in your area.” The BBC has not committed to an exact launch date, only stating that it will be sometime “next year.”

The BBC Trust is still deciding whether to charge viewers a fee per episode or to use advertising to generate income. Hopefully, they will follow in Hulu’s footsteps and make their programming available for free with modest advertising.

John Smith, the chief executive of BBC Worldwide, said, “it would open up the ‘under-exploited’ market for UK shows, such as Top Gear and Doctor Who.” The BBC would be wise to launch the iPlayer website soon after the holiday season when people are more likely to be indoors watching online programming.

Owning a television and watching programs in the UK is very different from other parts of the world. Every household must pay a licensing fee to legally watch televised programming. Officials go to great lengths to ensure that every house is in compliance, even making random inspections at times. These licensing fees cannot be collected outside the UK and because of this BBC programming has been limited to UK residents only.

With viewers transitioning from the television screen to the computer screen, it’s good to see television networks like the BBC keeping up with the changing needs of their viewers. Hopefully, the BBC iPlayer’s next stop will be on the Apple TV.

Source: MacWorld

iPhone? More like MyPhone sinister's Avatar
    Thanks

Awsome news sucks it's so far away still yet. .first. . We need a media player in which to stream videos I still can't play hulu on my ps3/iPhone = lame

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Here UK the BBC iplayer does work with the iPhone,Nokia,PS3 and Wii. Hopefully they work elsewhere. Good news for my brother who's lived USA for 8 years now and misses Top Gear.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Iplayer on the iphone has been fantastic so far

Paying a yearly fee to have 7 channels totally advert free is worth its weight in gold

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The tv licence fee isn't really in correlation with the BBC iplayer. The fee if paid per house hold, you pay if you have any device that can receive a tv signal. So if you have a tv in your house you will already pay it. We don't pay any additional fee for the iPhone app (or nokia ps3 etc) but I'm guessing because it will be accessible outside the UK and they won't pay the household licence BBC them selves may charge for their services. This post was a little misleading in that license fee malarky.. It's a government tax we pay for tv services in general, not limited to just the iplayer app..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley John Wright View Post

These licensing fees cannot be collected outside the UK and because of this BBC programming has been limited to UK residents only.
    Actually BBC TV programs are available outside of the UK without paying a Licence Fee - I live in the Netherlands and BBC1 & BBC2 are carried by my cable provider at no extra cost to me.

AKA westonben
    Thanks

Get a VPN and BBC iplayer works just fine. Alternatively, filmon.com has some live BBC shows which are streamed and can be played anywhere in the world on your idevice.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is awesome!!!!!!!!! I will finally be able to listen to 1Xtra, Fabio and Grooverider and the Essential Mix live in my car!

I've been waiting for at least 7yrs for something like this to come out so I'm fine w/ waiting a little bit longer.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

A lot of BBC content is available on some cable services in the USA as well. Of course, you are paying for cable and they are paying BBC, so they are getting their dues.

I just wonder what business the government there has with private entertainment. *sigh* How did it ever get to that?!

Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    Get a VPN and BBC iplayer works just fine. Alternatively, filmon.com has some live BBC shows which are streamed and can be played anywhere in the world on your idevice.
    Obviously, it's only considering official methods. If it mentioned downloading illegally and not VPN, then it would be worth bringing up.

Thanks

how about Hulu return the favour and pull their fingers out of their arses so we can watch Hulu content not in the US hmmmm >?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    Obviously, it's only considering official methods. If it mentioned downloading illegally and not VPN, then it would be worth bringing up.
    Wait so there is a way to use the iPlayer if you live in the states?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley John Wright View Post

Hopefully, the BBC iPlayer’s next stop will be on the Apple TV.

hopefully

Thanks

Ah top gear on my iPhone can't wait it's one of my favorite shows but I stopped paying for the crazy cable package that includes it so now I'm going through withdrawal

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Xiavia View Post
    Wait so there is a way to use the iPlayer if you live in the states?
    He already said it: VPN. People outside the US can use it to enjoy netflix and Hulu too.

VPN=Virtual Private Network using PPtP (Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol). It's usually used to connect to a corporate network from home or abroad to access all the same resources on the remote network that you would have if you were plugged in locally, such as shares on other network PCs. It does this by creating a virtual network adapter (NIC) so your computer appears to be on both a public network (the Internet) and a private network (the office) at the same time when, in reality, the private network is connecting over the public network (the Internet) using an encrypted "tunnel." It has been used to connect to the Internet THROUGH the Internet just as easily, so your virtual network adapter will get a public routable IP address from another country and all traffic is routed through a VPN server in that country. Because it's encrypted, they can't tell where you, the end user, really is unless your VPN host blabs.

You can set up your own VPN server but you'd have to have a friend in another country who can host it for it to do any good, which is why there are paid VPN services. They are more often used for P2P in so that the MPAA can't trace an IP address back to you. Someone sets up a VPN in a country with lax enforcement and they start signing people up.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CZroe For This Useful Post:

Dave_Xiavia (11-11-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wizgnome View Post
    Actually BBC TV programs are available outside of the UK without paying a Licence Fee - I live in the Netherlands and BBC1 & BBC2 are carried by my cable provider at no extra cost to me.
    It's in there....just because it doesn't say it in black and white. I guarantee it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s-max View Post
    Here UK the BBC iplayer does work with the iPhone,Nokia,PS3 and Wii. Hopefully they work elsewhere. Good news for my brother who's lived USA for 8 years now and misses Top Gear.
    I live in the US and watch Top Gear all the time! iTunes sells the episodes, even with a season pass (well worth it) and most cable providers offer BBCAmerica.

I watch Top Gear, and I much prefer British news programs. I'm not much for Dr Who though.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    what CZroe said
    Thanks for the info. I didn't know about that.