+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Skype 5.0 for Mac Launches with Beta Group Video Calling

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Skype 5.0 for Mac Launches with Beta Group Video Calling

Skype has just launched a nifty little beta version of Skype 5.0 for Mac. As illustrated by the demo video (see above), the people at Skype have made it possible for users to enjoy group video calling within the popular single-window framework. As it stands, group video calling will be free - but only during the beta trial period. Subsequently, paid subscription plans will be required for users to enjoy the new feature at will.

Unfortunately, it isn't yet clear when the feature will leave beta and become an established, fee-based component of Skype 5.0 for Mac. For now, the new Skype 5.0 is available for Mac today with a new look and lends Skype a more Mac-friendly appearance. New features, such as address Book integration, have also been introduced, although every revamped attribute is taking a backseat to the group video chat component that makes Skype shiny and new for many Mac users.

Between Apple expanding FaceTime to Macs and Skype's overture to Mac users with new video group chatting, very quickly we are seeing video chat becoming a much more established and commonplace component of the social media world. It's a trend we can likely expect to continue as last month at Apple's "Back to Mac" event, Steve Jobs announced that “We’ve sold more than 19 million FaceTime-ready iPhone 4 and iPod touch devices in the past four months, and now those users can make FaceTime calls with tens of millions of Mac users.”

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

This is great for people that need to speak at more than one person at a company or a family get together over the compter
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Let me know when Skype integrates FaceTime. Until then I'm not interested.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Still waiting for when skype for iPhone integrates video calling.

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    Let me know when Skype integrates FaceTime. Until then I'm not interested.
    What would be the point? Facetime is just a service, if you are using skype you are using another service with the email address you registered with your account.
    Last edited by Christian Bale; 11-04-2010 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    For **** sakes you mods are amateurs! Why are you trashing my scene!!! Seriously you and me we're done professionally.

Thanks

Props to Messany for being the first to realize YouTube links with display titles don't work with the MMi app. This Tapatalk template still has alot of bugs… but that's all off topic. Skype 5.0 looks pretty good, hope the Windows version works like it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Where is "start chat" (regular text chat) button?

iPhone? More like MyPhone xxhorseriderxxx's Avatar
    Thanks

omgiosh I've been waiting for this since I first downloaded Skype... I assumed when I downloaded Skype for the fist time that this would be available at the beginning >_< might as well enjoy it while it lasts

iPhone? More like MyPhone madczech's Avatar
    Thanks

quite a leap from 2.8 straight to 5.0
    wonder what 3.0 and 4.0 would have been
    I don't give a damn about Chuck Norris, Spongebob can grill under water!

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Awful... just awful. The new interface is terrible and the window is HUGE.

I am happy to have the conference video calls, but I just don't know if I'll be keeping this version. I may downgrade and skip out on the new features.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

i to am waiting for skype to have video available on iphone 4

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Dang!! I just love how skype does a great job making us mac and apple users stay in touch with our friends and family!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default New Skype Horrible
    Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post
    Awful... just awful. The new interface is terrible and the window is HUGE.

I am happy to have the conference video calls, but I just don't know if I'll be keeping this version. I may downgrade and skip out on the new features.
    I agree completely. The new interface is dreadful and way to obtrusive. I already downgraded

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mschwachter For This Useful Post:

nordlead (11-05-2010)

Thanks

Why hadn't this come sooner!?
    iPhone 4 16GB Jailbroken/Unlocked for T-Mobile USA with all the bells and whistles.

If I helped solve your problem, Press "Thanks!" for me ^^

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Skype 5.0, Nifty or just plain painful???
    [QUOTE=Michael Essany;5558975]

Skype has just launched a nifty little beta version of Skype 5.0 for Mac........

Nifty????

Painful is what I call it, I tried it out for a day then sent Skype this email below and re-installed 2.8 for Mac,

I am not adverse to change but this update is ridiculous.

--------------------------

Using 5.0 Beta for Mac,

1. Can I select ALL or some of the recent chats on the left hand side using either CMD or SHIFT key and delete them all at once? NO....

At the moment the only way to delete each individual conversation is by right clicking and CLOSE, (very painful)

2. can there be a setting to not have all these conversations down the left hand side at all, once I have finished the conversation, I don't want to see it again. I have history if I want it, this is not email, this is chat.

3. I don't want to see whithin a open conversation what time I called this person and when I hung up from him/her, that's what your history is for.

4. When I am in a video call with someone, how do I send them text? I couldn't type and video call to the same person, in fact I couldnt type to another contact and still see the person I am on the video call with.....at the same time.

4. Why is everything so big? the window can only be downsized to a certain size, the font is too big, I can only see 13 total contacts online/offline on a 13.3 inch screen, what if there are 30 contacts online at once, there is no list view of who is online except if you select the Contacts Monitor.

5. After I finish a text chat, why do I have to then select my groups manually, shouldn't it default to who is online after a certain period of time? or have a setting when I finish a chat I can delete it and it will then show whom is online

Over all, a poorly designed product adding no more functionality and it is definatly not easier to use, not thought out at all for the end user, big bulky and not user friendly, you had a nice compact straight forward product in 2.8, this is a big white elephant

I am deleting 5.0 and going back to 2.8 until you have soughted it out

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackme For This Useful Post:

nordlead (11-05-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Oh no...
    it is sooooo big !! what did they do ?
    why ?
    it looks bad, and there are so many bugs its not even funny.
    i was to back to Skype 2.8 within 30min.

was trying to chat with a friend, i could not see what he write me, only my side of the chat, bugs also with sending a file.

again, over all, BAD do not upgrade !

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool, I just hope they add skype to facetime.