+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTunes Will Soon Have 90-Second Previews in the US

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Rumors have circulated for some time that Apple will increase the length of music previews. In a letter sent to music label representatives, Apple has stated that they will now
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default iTunes Will Soon Have 90-Second Previews in the US

Rumors have circulated for some time that Apple will increase the length of music previews. In a letter sent to music label representatives, Apple has stated that they will now increase song previews to 90-seconds for songs longer than 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Shorter songs will still have 30-second previews. No time frame has been given yet, but the fact that Apple is informing label representatives indicates that the change may be sooner rather than later.

Apple has a history of playing hardball with the record labels, and they are doing it again. Apple did not ask the record labels if they could change the terms of the Digital Music Download Sales Agreement, they just informed the labels in the letter.

The extended previews feature, expected to be announced at the annual Apple event in September, failed to materialize. One possible explanation for the delay is that Apple may not have had all of the necessary licensing agreements in place in time for the event. It would seem that Apple now has everything squared away and will soon increase song previews to 90-seconds. This may be a minor upgrade, but it is a welcomed one.

Source: Apple

Thanks

took them long enough
    In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete, drawn only to be washed away. For the time that I've been given, I am what I am. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Idk fullpreview in cydia gives you a nice preview.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

You mean I will actually be able to identify the songs now? Get outta town...

Joking aside, good stuff.

I come from a land down under (Australia)
    Thanks

Good. The 30 "Clips" don't really let me judge the song enough for me to consider buying it so this will be a good change.
    Can I play with madness?
    Follow me on twitter
    If you like what I say, hit the button, you know which one

Thanks

I might see Eminem suing them again for this, maybe third times a charm for Apple
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Undisputed Theme Champ AnthonyGiola's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 853 Posts

Go eminem go! Sue just for fun! God knows you dont have enough money yet!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The more they region-lock features, the more I'll pirate music out of sheer spite.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This would not matter in any shape or form possible. You should know the song you want to buy by the time you preview it anyway. Waste of time.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This is good. atleast I can listen to the song for a little bit...Ill be listening to the tune and once the 90 sec are over ill be like awww maan, this was the best part!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Finally my iTunes experience is complete! This totally changes the way we buy music...again.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jiggyjae View Post
    This would not matter in any shape or form possible. You should know the song you want to buy by the time you preview it anyway. Waste of time.
    What are we...in a math class? I rather have a 90 sec preview than nuthin, plus for people who just want to see what kind of songs are out there directly on itunes and dont want to be checking on youtube for the songs they find, atleast they could have a 90 sec preview!! thats a whole minute and half if you want to get mathematical. just sayin

Green Apple
    Thanks

All they have to do to get me to buy songs on iTunes again is to bump the cost of songs back down to 99cents. $1.29 for a song is frickin' ridiculous.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

90 seconds Is still not long enough to get into the meat of a dance track. Why not play the whole track at a very low bitrate. iTunes is crap compared to allot of others. Eg Juno , beatport, stompy. Etc etc. They have no idea.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bennos0 View Post
    90 seconds Is still not long enough to get into the meat of a dance track. Why not play the whole track at a very low bitrate. iTunes is crap compared to allot of others. Eg Juno , beatport, stompy. Etc etc. They have no idea.
    Because users can actually download the previews that iTunes plays, I saw a YouTube video on it, but they can only do this on iDevices, it didn't say Computers which they should allow

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cypherpunk View Post
    The more they region-lock features, the more I'll pirate music out of sheer spite.
    Yeah I know, it's totally the artists' fault. Why not just go to Amazon MP3? Something tells me it's not spite…