+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Donít Hold Your Breath for USB 3 on the Mac

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Looks like a printer cable n a v3 razr charger combined together. Weird.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Looks like a printer cable n a v3 razr charger combined together. Weird.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    even if he did but usb 3 there are not allot of usb 3 devices that support that speed

Thanks

I don't know why they wouldn't. USB 3 has been much needed for a while. With the increase use of large external HDs and high resolution media, faster transfer speeds is an obvious necessity.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The only reason Intel is not currently supporting it is because they are trying to push thier own LightPeak stuff.

More and more stuff is now appearing for USB3. Maybe its main us is "only" transfering files around but as general files get bigger this will become more and more useful.

Banned
    Thanks

Well there is an ongoing arm wrestle behind the scenes with USB 3 and fibre optic cable and wireless USB and Intels Light Peak (which is developed by Intel but owned by,.. Apple). It's like the old vhs vs beta max battle years ago. Light Peak has speeds of up to 10 Gbit/s, where USB 3 is Gbit/s. So those who know, are waiting for the dominant standard emerge. Maybe USB 3, maybe fibre optics or wireless USB, perhaps Light Peak?? One day peripheral devices will most likely sync, connect and charge wirelessly.
    Last edited by Tyronal; 11-01-2010 at 07:06 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Build you own at Kexts.com or InsanelyMac.com and load up OSX86. If you take a look at the iMac tech specs, they are not that impressive. You can easily build a better computer for much less.

iPhone? More like MyPhone katmeef's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    People are so unpatient and mostly becuase they don't understand numbers. Ya its great that USB3 can transfer at 3.2Gbps but you need devices that a) support the connection and b) support the speeds on the end device.

Most USB devices out there don't support the high speed writing/reading to the memory yet so until that is more main stream, there wont be a big market unless it gets hyped by the media as the "must have" for no reason yet.
    As long as 3 is backwards compatible, I don't see this as a valid argument to hold off on upgrading the computer side of the hardware while waiting for additional devices supporting the spec.

iPhone? More like MyPhone CaptBojank's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    Build you own at Kexts.com or InsanelyMac.com and load up OSX86. If you take a look at the iMac tech specs, they are not that impressive. You can easily build a better computer for much less.
    ?

I think you are in the wrong thread dude.
    --= Fortes fortuna adiuvat =--

Thanks
    It's ok.. That's not that important.. It would've been cool but.. We'll survive... Just make LION really cool... lol

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

usb 3 would be cool.....if i needed it:P ha justkid yea it needs more support before I would want it because I dont want my mac full of outputs and inputs that I dont need.
    Last edited by athleticswimmer; 11-01-2010 at 11:26 AM.

Thanks

how about "FIREWIRE 4k"? or "4g"

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katmeef View Post
    As long as 3 is backwards compatible, I don't see this as a valid argument to hold off on upgrading the computer side of the hardware while waiting for additional devices supporting the spec.
    How about the argument that until Steve jumps on the bandwagon it isn't cool and he will jump on it. It is the way the industry is heading. They have to hold out on minor hardware updates to try to justify next years new model. And the next year's after that. And after that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone katmeef's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    How about the argument that until Steve jumps on the bandwagon it isn't cool and he will jump on it. It is the way the industry is heading. They have to hold out on minor hardware updates to try to justify next years new model. And the next year's after that. And after that.
    That's probably closer to the truth, we can't have everything all at once eh.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The way I see it is next year you will have a new Mac, MacBook/pro/air with USB2.0 then a couple if months later one with USB3.0 and people will be clambering over each other to get one.

Only time jobs will add USB3.0 is when they see a big $$$£££ opportunity.

Oh and when they use up all the old hardware they have purchased over the years as this would lead to loses if they just scraped them.
    Last edited by rocky5; 11-02-2010 at 08:36 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know if apple will ever adopt USB 3, USB 2 fast enough, and, the way that apple is headed is away from physical things and towards wireless connections. I am a huge fan of this. No one needs CDs, DVDs, flash drives, any of that stuff because it all happens wirelessly. I hope to see apple get its wireless technology up to the same speed as wires, THAT would be a feat. Think wireless iPhone syncing, wireless backups, wireless speakers, wireless printing, it will soon all be wireless.
    "foreign corporations > swedish law"

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12