+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Flash Losing Ground to HTML5 for Web Video

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Flash Losing Ground to HTML5 for Web Video

As the battle for web standards continues to wages on, HTML5 is quickly gaining ground over Flash. According to MeFeedia who recently surveyed sites using both Flash and HTML5 to deliver online video, 54% of web video is now available in HTML5, up from just 10% five months ago. Web developers are quickly making the switch to HTML5 faster than ever, or at least making content available using either standard. Many websites can now tell the difference between devices trying to access online video, then load content using the best format for that particular device.

Flash may still be the dominant player on desktop computers, but its quickly loosing ground to HTML5. Mobile devices now make up a huge percentage of video streaming and Flash does not work well on the few devices that support it. Adobe has never been able to demonstrate Flash performing satisfactorily to Steve Jobs and because of this, Flash has not been made available for iOS devices. This may change at some point in the future, however, as Apple recently loosened the rules for app developers. iOS users may one day be able to watch Flash content, but I doubt it will be anytime soon. Apple and Adobe are not exactly on the best of term at the moment.

Flash has a very poor track record when it comes to video performance on mobile devices. As more and more people watch video on their mobile phones, HTML5 is currently the easiest solution for web developers to use. As long as Adobe is unable to improve the performance of Flash on mobile devices, they will never be able to compete with HTML5.

Steve Jobs offered his Thoughts on Flash six months ago and concluded that Flash was an inferior technology rooted in the past and that the future of web development was HTML5. Now it appears the web is beginning to turn its back on Flash and embrace HTML5, just as Steve predicted.

Most people canít tell the difference between Flash and HTLM5 content and that is a good thing. As long as there is competition in the marketplace, developers will be forced to continue making innovations in order to survive. This can only be a good thing for you and me. As long as people continue watching their favorite shows online, does it really matter what web standard Hulu is currently using? Back in the good old days the biggest problems watching TV was getting good reception.

Source: Cult of Mac
    Last edited by Wiley John Wright; 10-29-2010 at 02:46 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Looks like Apples silly little "toy" is having an impact after all.

Undisputed Theme Champ AnthonyGiola's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 853 Posts

Flash 0-1 HTML5

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

If flash is going to affect performance and battery then I'd rather not have it. I've also noticed that the few sites that I needed flash for now have updated to HTML 5 and have also released iPhone apps that allow you to stream their video content on the iPhone. One site I really like is G4TV but I could watch any videos but now that they have released their iPhone app there is no problem so I guess I really don't care about flash on the iPhone anymore. Just like USB and 802.11, Apple is going to make HTML 5 the new standard.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Yay go html5.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob2G For This Useful Post:

thetoothfairy (10-28-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I knew that something was coming...Steve never does something for nothing
    At first I though he migh be developing some Better Quicktime that may be using something like Flash to dominate the Market...

But now it turns that he knew that HTML5 would rule the web someday..

Damn that man predicts good...haahah

8. The Following User Says Thank You to eyepoper For This Useful Post:

thetoothfairy (10-28-2010)

Thanks

Yeah, after using Frash I actually agree with Steve Jobs. Flash SUCKS on iOS devices. I have Frash's main components stored in a zip file so if I REALLY need it I can go into iFile and unzip it. If it wasn't for the fact that it overrides the standard YouTube plug-in I would've kept it usable, I just would have barely used it at all. (sidetrack) Anyways, glad to see a small majority are using HTML5!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I sware Steve has a crystal ball that tells him the future of technology. It's the only way he's always right to what is the new standard. I mean he saw that the mouse should be a way of input back in the day, he saw iPods and iTunes as the way of the music industry, he saw opened new doors into a new market (the tablet market) when everyone said it will fail, he saw that HTML 5 is the way to go and many more. There's no other explanation!

Thanks

Finally adobe shows off the flash to HTML5 concerter. Let the conversions begin!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SnowLeo For This Useful Post:

DisneyRicky (10-28-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tashawn's Avatar
    Thanks

I used comex frash, I see what apples keeping away from us. It's take a lot of memory, and a multitasker like myself can't deal with it. I still have the sb setting for it but I don't know why, flash (and I never thought I'd say this) is best off the device. This is great news.

Green Apple
    Thanks

"Flash Loosing Ground to HTML5 for Web Video"? i think losing is the better word here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoragon;
    I sware Steve has a crystal ball that tells him the future of technology. It's the only way he's always right to what is the new standard. I mean he saw that the mouse should be a way of input back in the day, he saw iPods and iTunes as the way of the music industry, he saw opened new doors into a new market (the tablet market) when everyone said it will fail, he saw that HTML 5 is the way to go and many more. There's no other explanation!
    Naw just a lot of money and a lot of screwing over other companies till they listen. Then they try to get away with walling the choices of the customer and get away with it saying its "for the best interest of the cusomer" and get away with crappy hardware and mark it up for luxury and software that doesnt suck. Then when someone like google steps in and shows off software just as good or better... then they step up the hardware.

Thanks

*Losing ground. Not Loosing ground. It's not becoming loose.

Thanks

Steve didn't predict ****. He's one of the head honchos right now pushing HTML5.

Flash isn't just for video playback, either. Interactive webpages utilize Flash. A lot of portfolio websites are made in Flash.

Just because HTML5 makes it incredibly easy to have video playback, doesn't mean it's a superior product. You can't exactly have interactive webpages with HTML.

It's because websites are trying to make money. If they make their web content available on more devices, thus gaining more exposure, the more money/cost effective the website itself is. That's the only reason HTML5 is gaining ground.

If the "Apple Gods" didn't support HTML5, and supported something else, THAT would be gaining ground. Sites are just trying to reach the largest target market. Apple refuses to conform to anything, or compromise; it's their way, or no way. If you don't do what Apple wants, they'll just take their ball and go home.

Don't give Jobs credit for being able to predict ****. And don't blame Flash for being an "inferior technology". Both are irrelevant.
    iPhone 4- I'll start theming again

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to agent005 For This Useful Post:

Aldog18 (10-29-2010), chris-tt (10-29-2010), erosbach (10-29-2010), Go Gators (10-29-2010), therandy (10-29-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

Flash has a very poor track record when it comes to video performance on mobile devices
    More like: Flash has a very poor track record... Period.
    "foreign corporations > swedish law"

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jiniej For This Useful Post:

Tyronal (10-29-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

Hope end of this year will be 100%....

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5h4d0w's Avatar
    Thanks

HTML5 > Flash. It loads faster (a 5 min Youtube vid on HTML5 takes ~42 seconds to load compared to the save vid on flash taking ~120 secs to load), it also performs (plays) faster, especially on a crappy computer lol.

GO HTML5!

Thanks

html5 is the bomb. flash switches to my 330m graphics card to keep the frame rate up when html5 uses the intel integrated graphics and streams great! Half the processing power too!

Twitter: @tshoults

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley John Wright View Post
    Steve Jobs offered his Thoughts on Flash six months ago and concluded that Flash was an inferior technology rooted in the past and that the future of web development was HTML5. Now it appears the web is beginning to turn its back on Flash and embrace HTML5, just as Steve predicted.
    Saying he predicted it implies that nobody else thought that html5 was the way of the future. Who disagreed with that view? The issue, as i recall, was that html5 just wasn't far enough in its upbringing to be a full replacement.

Hell, Adobe has more participants in the HTML Working Group than Apple does.

Thanks

So what this article tells us is nothing bar more websites now have HTML5 compatibility.

so
    HTML5 54%
    Flash 100%

as nearly all sites that support HTML5 were using Flash and probably still do as like the person stated on page 1 that there just opening the doors for a wider audience.

On a side note I hate Apple forums as some of the users are brain washed numpties that see a head line (or something from Jobs lips) and take it 100% literally, flash is still on nearly ever webpage out there and is still strong, I don't see punk-o-matic (well good game) in HTML5 format or any decent flash game for that matter.

HTML5 mobile devices
    Flash everything else

and flash doesn't crash Mac's Jobs quick to point the blame as we found out with the Antennagate fiasco.

bring on the haters lol
    Last edited by rocky5; 10-28-2010 at 08:59 PM.
    Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!