Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Demand for 11-inch MacBook Air Slows Shipping Time

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Demand for 11-inch MacBook Air Slows Shipping Time

Well, here's a headline most could have seen coming.

It turns out that Apple has once again released a tremendously popular product that has experienced such overwhelming initial demand that supplies are already seeing lag times in shipping. Such is the case for the new 11-inch MacBook Air. And while the estimated shipping time hasn't grown by much, it has still grown. And some think the situation may get worse before it gets better.

Those who ordered a $999 11-inch MacBook Air today saw their shipping time grow to 1-3 days. All other models of the freshly released line of new MacBook Airs are still shipping within 24 hours. The 11-inch MacBook Air (the most affordable option), however, is a different story and clearly suggests a strong wave of initial consumer demand.

As the holiday shopping season rapidly approaches, Wall Street analysts estimate that anywhere from 600,000 to 1 million MacBook Airs could be sold during that timeframe. And with the $999 11-inch MacBook Air likely being the front-runner of preferable models, it's a safe bet that shipping times will be strained for the duration of 2010.

Apple

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I am most interested in seeing if this product hurts iPad sales. I am SOOOOO happy I waited for this...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

it won't hurt sales for the iPad. What "will" kill the MacBook Air and small MacBook Pros is when the iPad 3G gets a front facing camera.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    it won't hurt sales for the iPad. What "will" kill the MacBook Air and small MacBook Pros is when the iPad 3G gets a front facing camera.
    I really don't see how you can say this with any degree of certainty. This new Air just gave everyone that was complaining about the ipad not being a real computer something to buy... FWIW I have three classmates that regret buying iPads this summer simply because of this new air. I am sure they are not the only ones.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

its just my opinion. I love my iPad 3G and carry it everywhere.
    I really like my new Air also but DO NOT carry it everywhere.

Now, if the Air had 3G it would win.
    If the iPad 3G had an iSight camera, it would win.

just my 2 cents.

I got mine today from best buy. I wanted a macbook air but hated the screen on the old air. This new screen looks great and very sharp with 720p fitted into 11.6".

I wouldn't even buy a macbook pro until the next refresh. Im sure they'll put the new better 13" air screen in them which looks soo much better.

I would still buy a $999 macbook than a macbook air any day. Maybe they made the perfomance better but I hardley consider the air much more capable than my ipad especailly with the sh*tty core 2 dual processor. I bet the dual core processor on the blackberry playbook is better than that.

Macbook on the other had is at least a real laptop although Id rather pay the extra 200-300 for a mbp. Is it really worth giving up anything related to performance when running a full computer operating system? If you want a device thats that small get a dam pad. If you want a device thats actually a computer and has performance decent enough to actually accomplish things you cant do on an ipad get a macbook.

And for performace to do any form of gaming, photoshopping, and hardcore media stuff go with the macbook pro.

I swear with the new dual core netbooks you can get a damn hackintoshed netbook running OS X for 1/3 the price and get the same performance. Once again apple has gone mad with putting style and thinness over performace and compromised way too much. It could be so much better and the technology is definitely available to make it have double the performance at half the price but apple can get away with it because their software is far superior and it looks damn sexy.

Whats the only reason apple finally made the iphone 4 a good upgrade with pretty good hardware for when it was released? They had the other prototype with almost nothing different but the form factor ready to produce if they chose?

Its all because google came up with software that was actually good enough to challenge iOS and many people find it better so they could no longer get away with giving sh*tty hardware to their iphones and then going on about how blackberry OS sucks **** compared to iOS. Just like how they think they can get away with sh*tty laptops because windows sucks ****. And it works so they raise the price for luxury and lower the performance to cut costs and just look at them now. Rising above every other company. Taking huge shares of every technology market.

F*ck apple if I dont get a ipad 2 with specs identical or better than the playbook Im getting the playbook and selling my ipad. Apps may be awesome but I'll have them on my verizon iphone that I get to replace my sh*tty 3gs soon enough.

Sorry for the long rank. Just felt it was nessisary to put it out there.

I think the performance on the mba is great. Have you even tested one yet? I have seen Photoshop and call of duty run just fine on the new mba. For most users the mba will have more than enough performance. It is most likely going to be my first Mac.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I really want one but no backlit keyboard is putting me off.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Does osx Lion run iPad apps? Cause that would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    I really want one but no backlit keyboard is putting me off.
    Thats the same reason why i cant pull the trigger and get it. I use my macbook in bed all the time