+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rumor: Apple May Acquire Sony

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
It's an eye-opening headline for certain, and one that's making the rounds throughout various media today, as Apple is believed to be considering a strategic acquisition of Sony. For now,
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Rumor: Apple May Acquire Sony

It's an eye-opening headline for certain, and one that's making the rounds throughout various media today, as Apple is believed to be considering a strategic acquisition of Sony. For now, we must responsibly classify this one as a rumor until more concrete evidence surfaces. But with better than $50 billion in the bank, Apple can certainly afford the logical buy. But just because Apple can... doesn't mean that it will.

When rumors of the potential buyout first leaked, the trading volume of Sony exploded and escalated close to 3% at one point. And while many analysts have dismissed the rumor-talk, Sony and Apple aren't talking - a situation that could speak volumes.

Barron's was among the first to note that Apple may soon scoop up the consumer electronics giant. The speculation, however, also included talk of potential acquisitions for Adobe and Disney. Sony, however, remains the most likely contender for an Apple buyout, especially given the recent comments of former Apple CEO John Sculley to Bloomberg, suggesting that Steve Jobs is head-over-heels enamored with Sony.

During Apple's most recent earnings call, Jobs uncharacteristically jumped on the line to offer comment on the runaway growth and earnings of his company. It was at that time that Jobs made clear his intention of using Apple's massive cash reserves to make big moves within the tech world. And an acquisition of Sony would fit that description perfectly.

Reuters

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

God i hope this doesn't happen. I have so many Sony products. I don't want Apple to have a monopoly on me. Then that means everything i own will have an I in front of it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple is legit taking over the world.. pretty soon they be suppling the enemies with guns and such.. oh wait. we have the government already doing that. Apple just stick with the computers. Lets not even talk about the military contracts apple has.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

Thanks

lol this could be interesting. i have no issues against this.

-_-
    in the land of the free and the home of the brave
    Thanks

Wow. Explain then, about how Sonys coming out with so much android devices..

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vindutch View Post
    God i hope this doesn't happen. I have so many Sony products. I don't want Apple to have a monopoly on me. Then that means everything i own will have an I in front of it.
    iSony!! Dear God, Please save us!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone yentrog31's Avatar
    Thanks

Classic case of "pump and dump"; a stock market term/ploy.It will never happen,but it did line the big boys pockets a quick 3% turnaround in a few hrs.Not a bad gig if your in the know.
    "It takes a rare thing, a turning point, to free oneself from any obsession. Be it prejudice or hate, or, even love"

Thanks

They do both produce some awesome and innovative products. But really?? That would be crazy, I'm not sure how I feel about this one.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

shite

Thanks

スティーブは日本語が話せるか?

これは、ビジネスを超えています。これは、変更の文化だろうが巨大な私は、または望んで維持することができ ます翻訳Googleの他の我々は運命にあるすべての。

Thanks

After reading the recent interview with the guy who had fired Jobs way back you learned Steve was a major admirer of Sony and their product quality focus. This isn't a real surprise if you think about the history of Steve's admiration of the Sony corporate mentality and their manufacturing capacity. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this happens.

The ipod was just the logical successor to the walkman. both are/were generic terms for the music players of their era yet are singular product names.

Thanks
    That would be baaaaad!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yentrog31 View Post
    Classic case of "pump and dump"; a stock market term/ploy.It will never happen,but it did line the big boys pockets a quick 3% turnaround in a few hrs.Not a bad gig if your in the know.
    Too true. +1

As a person who dumped his MBP for an for a Vaio F a few months back - I would hate for this to have any merit. Sony provides the PC market with some of its most visually attractive options. Without them we'd be stuck with ASUS's Blue flame paint jobs. Yikes.

Also, I really dont see what Sony has to gain from this. I acknowledge Apple's computer sales most likely being superior to sony's unit for unit, Why would they need to take a backseat to ANYONE in any other field? Recievers, TV's, Digital Cameras, and believe it or not Sony Ericsson is HUUUUGE in Europe/Asia. Why would they even entertain this?
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Thanks

Sony is innovative, Apple is innovative. Money talks.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well there goes support for new Sony tv with googletv in it....

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    スティーブは日本語が話せるか?

これは、ビジネスを超えています。これは、変更の文化だろうが巨大な私は、または望んで維持することができ ます翻訳Googleの他の我々は運命にあるすべての。
    I know what u mean bro...

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

iPS3? no more psp at all. Just buy an iPod touch instead?!? Sony Vaio laptop will have macosx because you know apple won't sell Microsoft products (windows 7). But they probaly stop make sony laptops all together.

Thanks

Benefit #1: Apple knows how to market. The PS3 would finally be marketed correctly. Then MS would know some real fear.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Wow, Michael Essany at it again, did you even read the reuters article...

Moron.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to iPhone3G[S] For This Useful Post:

mortopher (10-26-2010)

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast