+ Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rumor: Apple May Acquire Sony

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Ain't gonna happen. Period. Sony isn't for sale and Apple wouldn't buy em if they were.
    Thanks

Ain't gonna happen. Period. Sony isn't for sale and Apple wouldn't buy em if they were.
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by k.nitsua View Post
    Federal Trades Commission would never allow it... I highly doubt this would happen...
    Why would the FTC care about this transaction? Buying Sony wouldn't give Apple a dominant position in any market they don't already dominate, and Sony doesn't have a monopoly on anything.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

on a side note, it's funny to think that Sheik Kalifha of Abudabi(UAE) can easily buy Apple/Microsoft plus Sony and have tons of money left. The Sheik himself has a personal budget of 875 billion dollars, he's almost a trillionaire.
    Last edited by swifty7; 10-27-2010 at 04:58 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Last week it was facebook, this week it's Sony and next week it's microsoft and google o_0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoragon View Post
    Last week it was facebook, this week it's Sony and next week it's microsoft and google o_0
    Microsoft Word: $0.99 in the AppStore
    Google Search: $5.99

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Apple down fall
    For all you fools who think 50 million dollars would buy out a mega corporation like Sony. You need to stop drinking the kool-aid.

As it was said before if you cant find any good news make up news...

The reason they are hoarding cash and not paying out dividends is because bad times are approaching for Apple and this cash is to help ride out the storm plain and simple.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bingbang View Post
    For all you fools who think 50 million dollars would buy out a mega corporation like Sony. You need to stop drinking the kool-aid.
    50 million????? its 50+ BILLION.

This is a sweet deal for Apple but after 6 pages not one logical response as to why.

Apple needs content. Content is what rules and not the technology. iTunes, iPhone, iPod, AppleTV2 all awesome (Apple couldnt care about the walkman ). this is about OWNING the content, making it available for purchase and/or rent, and making the $$$$$ every single time someone buys it on their device. Apple was able to make a sweet deal in the music industry and the labels all hate it. they are only looking for co's like google to take a damper out of itunes so they can restructure.

Apple is having a hard time with the studios and getting content available for devices. We all know Apple doesnt negotiate too well. So if you cant beat them, just buy them.

Personally.... if I was Jobs, forget about Sony..... I'd buy Fox.

The more I think about this, the more genius I see in it. Who knows if it's real or not, but rumors generally get started by a smart person who see's the merger/buyout as a very profitable solution.

Sony corp consists of:

Sony Electronics and Computers
    Sony Pictures Entertainment, which includes the Columbia Pictures, Screen Gems and TriStar Pictures Marquees. Sony Pictures also has a large television production and distribution business. Sony also owns 20 percent of MGM studios.
    Sony Music - Columbia and BMG labels
    Sony Ericsson - 50%

This acquisition would be insanely profitable for Apple. On all levels!!!! Clearly they have an amazing distribution platform for the media, owning such a vast amount of content and setting the prices and distribution of it will only force the other labels and studios to adhere to their pricing structure.

If that wasnt enough, they now would own factories and technology to make themselves all aspects of their computer and idevices, instead of sourcing it out. those OEM factories in China must be having a real bad day!!!!

Wouldnt be surprised if this happens and fast. Sony stockholders most probably leaked this to raise the stock prices and get even more money from Apple
    Last edited by dannyben; 10-27-2010 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    I can see how it the rumors could be gaining traction on this. It would put Apple in a position to expand into a variety of markets and having a movie and music studio would fit perfectly into itunes with exclusive deals with those artists and movies.

Memory Foam Mattresses | Memory Foam Mattress Foundations | Memory Foam Pillows

Thanks

Exclamation Speculation dismissed
    UPDATE 2-Sony rally shortlived as speculation dismissed

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:20am EDT

* Speculation sparks biggest trading volume in 3 months

* Sony declines comment on rumours fueled by media report

* Author of report calls it "pure speculation"

* Analysts sceptical about possibility of a buy-out (Adds analyst comment)

TOKYO, Oct 26 (Reuters) - Shares of Sony Corp (6758.T) SME.N rose nearly 3 percent at one point on Tuesday, but later retreated as analysts dismissed speculation that the electronics maker could be an acquisition target of Apple Inc (AAPL.O).

Helping to spark the speculation was a Saturday report in Barron's that said cash-rich Apple could be contemplating a big acquisition and noted speculation about Adobe (ADBE.O), Sony and Disney (DIS.N) as potential targets.

But even the author of the report, Eric Savitz, on Tuesday sought to clear up misconceptions about any potential combination of Apple and Sony.

He wrote in a blog post on Barron's website, "In the piece I noted that the company could do something aggressive, like bidding for Adobe, Sony or even Disney. But that was pure speculation. Yeesh."

The issue about Apple's acquisition plans gained steam earlier this month when, on conference call with investors and reporters, Chief Executive Steve Jobs was asked what the company would do with its $51 billion in cash.

"We would like to continue to keep our powder dry, because we do feel that there are one or more strategic opportunities in the future," Jobs said.

But analysts who follow technology downplayed the likelihood that Apple would chase Sony -- or any other major acquisition.

"We don't see any acquisitions of any size," said Ashok Kumar, an analyst with Rodman & Renshaw in New York. "Apple is happy to keep its cash under the pillow."

Kumar said a deal for Sony would be particularly unlikely. "It would be a cultural miss," he said.

Sony spokeswoman Sue Tanaka said: "We cannot comment on rumours or speculation."

Sony shares closed up 0.7 percent at 2,742 yen after climbing as high as 2,804 yen. Trading volume was 17.61 million shares, the highest since July 30, the day after the company surprised the market with a quarterly profit and raised its full-year profit outlook.

Shares of Apple were down less than 1 percent in premarket trade.

The benchmark Nikkei average .N225 fell 0.3 percent. (Reporting by Paul Thomasch in New York and Chikafumi Hodo, Sachi Izumi and Isabel Reynolds in Tokyo; Editing by Chris Gallagher)
    UPDATE 2-Sony rally shortlived as speculation dismissed | Reuters

Stay on top of your sources kid! lol

Thanks

omg, can you imagine the psp + retina display+ A4 processor+ god of war (Ghost of Sparta) that would be like heaven. on the side note HAHHAHAHA yeah right, sony will never sell out, wayyy to many famous items they hold. Apple should learn its boundaries.

Green Apple
    Thanks

What is the revenues of Sony and Apple last year?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    Boooooo 360 RROD 8 months after purchase. Sorry for being off topic but it had to be said
    HA! BSOD, RROD, I think maybe MS should do something in green next!
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    HA! BSOD, RROD, I think maybe MS should do something in green next!
    Well Apple gets SWOD or "the beachball". And technically they already have something green. The green ring for the xbox running ok.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CX3NT3_713 View Post
    iPlaystation 4 
    No, that's too long, it would be changed to: iPlay. And there would be a new model every year, with "Revolutionary," "Game Changing" features. iPlay 2 would get a bigger HD (SSD rather,) and an app store.
    iPlay 3 would have multi-tasking and FaceTime, but only on the rear camera.

LOL!
    It's where you are.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Well Apple gets SWOD or "the beachball". And technically they already have something green. The green ring for the xbox running ok.
    I know, I was joking... I don't see Apple or MS being better than the other, I bag on both of 'em.

What could go with Green and "of death?"
    It's where you are.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    I know, I was joking... I don't see Apple or MS being better than the other, I bag on both of 'em.

What could go with Green and "of death?"
    Mmmm....
    ?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    Mmmm....
    ?
    I used that to JB my phone, lol.
    It's where you are.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Perhaps like GM owning Saab, they might own Sony, yet keep it as a separate entity? Keep the branding separate and who knows, maybe running on an iSony, windows might "just work"?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LennyTheDub View Post
    Perhaps like GM owning Saab, they might own Sony, yet keep it as a separate entity? Keep the branding separate and who knows, maybe running on an iSony, windows might "just work"?
    GM claimed to keep them separate, but I can assure that is not what happened. Saab had to be sold because of GM's meddling.

Saab SUV?? Really?!? Who asked for that? Nobody! It's a rebadged Chevy Trailblazer, with a few Swedish tweaks.

http://m.automobilemag.com/features/...97x/index.html

That article pretty much sums up what GM did with Saabsmobile. I hate GM, they killed a premium brand with their idiocy, and not ever knowing what their customers want.

Sorry, off topic, but those of us who drive Saabs are more fanatical than people who only buy Apple stuff.
    It's where you are.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok Messany shut up. I have not read a single story pf yours that either seems likely or any kind of value to the MMi community. Either quit now or start doing better research before you post. This is not tabloid apple news its jailbreak/apple news. I hate seeing a great headline flowed by a half-a$$ed article and then finding out that 99.9% of the article is false.

+ Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345