+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Still No iDevices at Gates' House

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Through the years, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs (and, consequently, Microsoft and Apple) have seemingly enjoyed a cordial public relationship despite the intense competition that remains between the two tech
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Still No iDevices at Gates' House

Through the years, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs (and, consequently, Microsoft and Apple) have seemingly enjoyed a cordial public relationship despite the intense competition that remains between the two tech giants. And while Melinda Gates - Bill's wife - has long stated publicly that there are no iPods or iPhones inside the Gates' home, persistent rumors have lingered this year regarding Bill Gates breaking down and finally purchasing an Apple laptop.

Not true.

As it turns out - according to the same source, Melinda Gates - Mr. Bill Gates' policy of no Apple products at home is still in full force. Nothing from Apple "crosses the threshold of our doorstep," Mrs. Gates tells Deborah Solomon of The New York Times this week. "There are very few things that are on the banned list in our household. But iPods and iPhones are two things we don't get for our kids."

An inquiring mind, Solomon wanted to know if the Gates' home reflects a larger mentality - isn't there room in this world for both Apple and Microsoft? "Microsoft certainly makes products for the Macintosh," Mrs. Gates responded. "Go talk to Bill."

To read the full article from the New York Times, click here.

New York Times

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

This made me chuckle a little bit. You think his kids really want iPhones? Lol
    Last edited by Captinsmooth; 10-25-2010 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Spelling

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Captinsmooth For This Useful Post:

lilrican21 (10-25-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If they wanted, his kids could have apple :P

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to infectionfx For This Useful Post:

Kyle Matthews (10-25-2010), reanimationxp (10-26-2010)

Thanks

OF COURSE he doesn't have a Mac. Like Steve Jobs, he obviously thinks his OS is the greatest thing ever. I'm surprised they can keep their KIDS away from iPods though, Zunes suck compared to them especially since they haven't really been developed this year. What can a Zune do that iPods can't except share songs with people twice and have a 'Zune pass'?

Thanks

Looks like they're a bunch of haters for making such a rule. If it's a good product, support it. They're already rich so what would it matter? If windows, makes good products, support them as well.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Sounds like somebody is J E A L O U S!

But truth is, who cares. Microsoft has lost this one. Apple is on the rise, Microsoft is stagnant.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to organik For This Useful Post:

friscosooner (10-25-2010), reanimationxp (10-26-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Has anyone ever thought about the fact that maybe the Gates family disapproves of the closed environment in which Apple operates? I have a friend who refuses to buy Apple products for that reason alone. It has nothing to do with the products. Hell, I am thinking about going with something other than an iPhone on my next upgrade simply for this reason as well.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

rocky5 (10-26-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

infectionfx "If they wanted, his kids could have apple :P"

LOL!

formerly known as Method2001 TheGrandFinale2001's Avatar
    Thanks

Gates and Jobs are too stuck in the ways and stubborn to change now, so this does not surprise.

Thanks

I feel sorry for the Gates kids, no idevices. So I wonder when his kids go through that rebalous stage. Will they go to the Apple Store?

iPhone? More like MyPhone gsmumbo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Has anyone ever thought about the fact that maybe the Gates family disapproves of the closed environment in which Apple operates? I have a friend who refuses to buy Apple products for that reason alone. It has nothing to do with the products. Hell, I am thinking about going with something other than an iPhone on my next upgrade simply for this reason as well.
    So this friend makes purchasing decisions not based on the product but the mentality behind it? With iPhones for example it is a closed environment but even so it is an amazing product with amazing uses. Plus you can jailbreak it. Does he also only buy things not tested on animals? Foods that aren't chemically enhanced? You can try and make a social statement with your purchases but ultimately you are the one who ends up missing out.

Also, I seriously doubt that would be why the Gates family doesn't use iDevices. I mean having them disapprove of it makes for a great talking point, but the fact that they are major competitors probably has way more to do with it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    kid - "hey dad can you buy me Apple for xmas?"
    dad - "yeah sure, how much are they? $50 million?"
    kid - "idk dad"
    dad - "it doesn't really matter. if thats what you want thats what you get."

thats what would happen. imo.
    iPad2 64GB Black Wifi + AT&T 3G
    Apple Tv 2G
    iPad 64GB Wifi
    iPad 64GB Wifi + 3G
    iPhone 4 32GB 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB OLD BOOTROM 3.1.3
    iPhone 3G 16GB 3.1.3
    iPhone 2G 8GB - running android 2.2
    and a few iTouches
    All Jailbroken.

Thanks

 + 1..........lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone Funked's Avatar
    Thanks

That's just stupid, not allowing their kids to own apple products. So what if they are the competition? Buying a few iPhones isn't going to change anything. I think they are just being stubborn. Maybe Gate's just doesn't want his kids having a product from a different company which is better than what daddy makes.

iPad 2 16GB Wifi iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe
    iPhone 4S 16GB iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe

Green Apple
    Thanks
    this is so funny.
    how many households do you ding dongs think would actually have to be policed by daddy gates to successfully ban a specific brand?

besides, the equipment available to people with that kind of money is above and beyond anything pushed toward the mass market. give me a break. the gates kids dont give a **** about apple, or whatever they might not be allowed to have.

iPhone? More like MyPhone frail1's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funked View Post
    That's just stupid, not allowing their kids to own apple products. So what if they are the competition? Buying a few iPhones isn't going to change anything. I think they are just being stubborn. Maybe Gate's just doesn't want his kids having a product from a different company which is better than what daddy makes.
    i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's more about the image. if you are the owner/ceo of a major corporation you can't yourself or let anyone else in your family be seen using the competition. do you realize what kind of message that sends out to not only the public but to your investors? you might as well just put out a press conference that say's "our products are so bad, even I don't use them!" then let's see how well you do.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to frail1 For This Useful Post:

Gajet (10-25-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

A. At this point Microsoft couldn't even buy out apple.*

But more importantly, If you owned Ferrari, there's absolutely no possible way you or your family would be represented by a competitors product. You couldn't have your kids driving around lamborginis, it just wouldn't be respectful to the familys product/name. *It doesn't matter which product is better, when your name represents a company, you and everyone in your family is a representative.

Plus I'm sure with millions of dollars in their checking accounts, I highly doubt the gates kids are sad about not having an iPod.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rryyddeerr View Post
    besides, the equipment available to people with that kind of money is above and beyond anything pushed toward the mass market. give me a break. the gates kids dont give a **** about apple, or whatever they might not be allowed to have.
    You idiot! You actually think there is another company out there that makes phones exclusively for rich kids? That iPhone, Android and Blackberry are the poor mans phone? There ARE no other phones to buy and there ARE no other computer manufactures you moron.

Finally, Bill Gates does not run Microsoft anymore. Fat ***** Balmer is running things into the ground now, do Gates needs to get over it. He is not married to Microsoft anymore.
    Last edited by jbardi; 10-25-2010 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Auto-correct failed

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jbardi For This Useful Post:

JimJam707 (10-25-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Maybe if Bill would allow Apple in his household he'd realize how much better the quality is over Microsoft. Not saying Apple is the best ever, but Microsoft could learn a few things.

Green Apple
    Thanks

pointless, of course the Gates' don't use Apple. Imagine the ridicule if Steve Jobs answered a call on his 'Blackberry'. We'd never hear the end of it.