+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New MacBook Airs Projected to Be Huge Holiday Seller

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Although it wouldn't take official research to convince most that Apple's new MacBook Airs will be big sellers this holiday season, the projections back up our suspicions, thanks to the
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default New MacBook Airs Projected to Be Huge Holiday Seller

Although it wouldn't take official research to convince most that Apple's new MacBook Airs will be big sellers this holiday season, the projections back up our suspicions, thanks to the research team of Concord Securities. As it stands, MacBook Airs are predicted to sell a whopping 700,000 units during the forthcoming holiday shopping season alone.

DigiTimes covered the report, courtesy of analyst Mingchi Kuo, who boldly stated that MacBook Air shipments in the fourth quarter of 2010 will be staggering, "accounting for more than 17% share of the company's 4.1 million Mac shipments." The 11.6-inch model will account for 60% of the total MacBook Air sales, according to the report, "due to its low price."

In case you're wondering if Kuo is credible, the answer is yes. Kou - once with DigitTimes - is well known for scooping Apple's intention to launch the new 11.6-inch MacBook Air early last summer. For this reason, few are doubting the holiday sales estimate (something many investors will likely take to be an underlying but unstated recommendation of Apple stock) that Kuo projects. Taking estimates one step further, Kou also predicts that the arrival of Mac OS X Lion will sustain the momentum of the MacBook Air release well into 2011.

DigiTimes

Thanks

That's a very nice notebook.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

im actually very impressed with this air. the previous one sucked to me because of the missing disk drive but now ive noticed that i rarely use mine anymore since i just download everything now. i guess steve was right about digital media being the future!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

thats is a very nice notebook but why would people buy it if you can get a 2.4 ghz macbook with 4gb of memory for 1,100 bucks rather than a 2.13ghz macbook air with 4gb of memory which cost 1,800 (and this is the highest model im stating here) i mean sure its light as a feather, thin as a sheet of paper(just an example), and can pretty much fit anywhere but the speed, cost, and storage doesnt compare to the macbooks or the macbook pro's!! just my opinion oh and dont forget the battery life(5 hrs). imean i like it but just wont be able to do my everyday needs with it especially because of the price!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to athleticswimmer For This Useful Post:

gbarielmoreno (10-23-2010), luvmytj (10-23-2010), mosesh (10-23-2010), Nanamkin (10-23-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I imagine it's useful for say, business travelers. If you're just doing email, presentations, documents, videoconferencing, internet, etc. you don't need tons of power or space. And the compact factor is convenient.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

I just don't see the appeal of this laptop. I need something with a whole lot more storage. As far as portability is concerned, it has no advantage over any other Mac laptop aside from the "instant-on." I'll wait until "instant-on" is coupled with a >500gb ssd and thrown into a MBP.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

gbarielmoreno (10-23-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
    thats is a very nice notebook but why would people buy it if you can get a 2.4 ghz macbook with 4gb of memory for 1,100 bucks rather than a 2.13ghz macbook air with 4gb of memory which cost 1,800 (and this is the highest model im stating here) i mean sure its light as a feather, thin as a sheet of paper(just an example), and can pretty much fit anywhere but the speed, cost, and storage doesnt compare to the macbooks or the macbook pro's!! just my opinion oh and dont forget the battery life(5 hrs). imean i like it but just wont be able to do my everyday needs with it especially because of the price!
    Unless you are doing HEAVY video or audio editing then it really doesn't matter what the the processing speed is. The 11 inch is a perfect size for the millions of people the work on an ambulance like me that need something thats light and has instant on. I grabbed the iPad instead because it was the perfect size and plays games and does my hulu and netflix. I say why not. The more choice the better. It's a cross between the iPad and MacBook. For most it's going to be perfect

Thanks

I for one will be getting one. All I do with my laptops are email, safari, microsoft word, online games and watch movies when I travel. Trying to pick between top of line 11.6 or bottom of line 13.3...I will be giving the wife my macbook pro because her HP is garbage. Takes a week and a half to turn on LOL...but no really about 90+ seconds. GOD awful.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ARCHA1C's Avatar
    Thanks

I think Steve was just seconding what Bill Gates has been preaching since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Antman217 View Post
    im actually very impressed with this air. the previous one sucked to me because of the missing disk drive but now ive noticed that i rarely use mine anymore since i just download everything now. i guess steve was right about digital media being the future!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ARCHA1C For This Useful Post:

anekin007 (10-23-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeaaah, I will buy one...

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Added to my Santa's list.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll stick to my pro, but for some I can see it as a very viable portable, but a runaway holiday seller... I don't see that happening, not for $1000 bucks.

Thanks

Think about the computer users nowadays. They need a computer so they can listen to their 2 crappy lil wayne albums and check their facebook every 3 seconds. Oh and their 50 pictures of themselves taken in the mirror.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to zoso10 For This Useful Post:

The Maestro (10-23-2010)

Thanks

What's the big appeal of the MacBook air? Sure it's small, but it's not worth the extra big bucks
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

19. The Following User Says Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

athleticswimmer (10-27-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    That's a very nice notebook.
    You mean NETbook.......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Whenever I get around to getting a new MacBook again this may be it.

I sold my MacBook earlier this year and bought an iMac. But sort of miss the laptop to take to work.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
    You answered your own question right there. In the air you are paying for an ultra light weight and portable device. With the MBP line you are paying more for performance.

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    I just don't see the appeal of this laptop. I need something with a whole lot more storage. As far as portability is concerned, it has no advantage over any other Mac laptop aside from the "instant-on." I'll wait until "instant-on" is coupled with a >500gb ssd and thrown into a MBP.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Weight adds up. I'd love to free a couple pounds from my bag that I carry between classes and to and from the bus stop. People said the same thing about laptops when they were 8-12 pounds versus the now 5-9. The longer you are stuck holding one the more intimately aware you are of how heavy just a few pounds can be!

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    What's the big appeal of the iPad? Sure it's big, but it's not worth the extra big bucks
    Fixed

I did this because I have seen you defend the iPad with your dieing breath. You seem to see value in the larger screen, It should be a no brainer for you to understand how people see value in a thinner, lighter laptop.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 10-23-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Weight adds up. I'd love to free a couple pounds from my bag that I carry between classes and to and from the bus stop. People said the same thing about laptops when they were 8-12 pounds versus the now 5-9. The longer you are stuck holding one the more intimately aware you are of how heavy just a few pounds can be!
    Going from 4-5 lbs to 2-3 lbs is not significant at all. I have my macbook in a bag over my shoulder all the time for hours on end and it isn't an issue at all. Get more companies to produce digital copies of their textbooks and the change in weight will be much more significant.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I'm definiately going to buy one of the 11" Airs this week. I'm wondering though if it will run OK on the stock 2GB of RAM or if I need to order it with 4GB instead. I have a 13" MBP with 2.53Ghz and 4GB RAM at the moment and its screaming fast but has the standard hard drive... so I dunno what to do. Grr. I could go buy one at the store this afternoon with 2GB... but just don't know. lol.

Edit: Screw it... I just said "go for it" and order the top of the line with the 1.6Ghz, 128 SSD and 4GB RAM. With all options it delays shipping to 3-5 business days... oh well... something to look forward to!
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 10-24-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Going from 4-5 lbs to 2-3 lbs is not significant at all. I have my macbook in a bag over my shoulder all the time for hours on end and it isn't an issue at all. Get more companies to produce digital copies of their textbooks and the change in weight will be much more significant.
    I agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment (regarding the textbook thing). That said, I don't suppose it is too much up to me. Carrying your books everywhere you go is not as necessary as it used to be. I respectfully disagree that the difference of 2 pounds is not noticable though. FWIW, I don't take textbooks with me anyplace, so going from 4-5 pounds to 2-3 is effectively cutting the total weight I carry in half. I suppose it can depend on the user. I like a full-featured laptop as light as it can be, and there are many buyers that will agree with me. Clearly this product is not for you, but essentially implying it is not for anyone is a gross overstatement.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 10-24-2010 at 10:06 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings