+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New MacBook Airs Projected to Be Huge Holiday Seller

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
This is the product Apple put out for all the people complaining about the iPad not having a "full OS" on it. Programs that benefit from a full OS need
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

This is the product Apple put out for all the people complaining about the iPad not having a "full OS" on it. Programs that benefit from a full OS need a full keyboard, more than 256MB RAM, and more than a single core 1Ghz processor to be functional... so enter the 11" Macbook Air to fill this void.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I don't understand the power Steve jobs has over people, not long ago he slandered netbooks (MacBook) saying there better at nothing, now the release there own version it's the best thing since sliced bread.

6+ months ago, netbooks are crap.
    Present, netbooks are better than the iPad lmao what next the iPad 2 is better than MacBooks?

Jobs: netbooks are a massive pile of ?meh?
    Last edited by rocky5; 10-24-2010 at 03:29 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skj8100 View Post
    You mean NETbook.......
    go to an apple store. there's nothing "netbook" about it.

Netbooks are generally slow in performance, have mediocre keyboards, cheap screens with poor color reproduction and terrible GPUs that struggle to keep up with 720p, let alone 1080p. Can you play StarCraft II on a netbook? Call of Duty? In most cases, no. In other cases, just barely.

This Mac, however, can do all of those things. It can run your pro apps like Photoshop (generally unthinkable on a netbook), 1080p with ease, modern games with ease, opens everything lightning fast (thanks, SSD), solid keyboard, unibody construction, and it's screen is just as good as any MacBook Pro screen. Just smaller.

So no, this is just a really small Mac. NOT a netbook. The only thing this shares in common with a netbook is the size and weight. I've worked on netbooks. I've demo'd the new Air. There is no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky5 View Post
    I don't understand the power Steve jobs has over people, not long ago he slandered netbooks (MacBook) saying there better at nothing, now the release there own version it's the best thing since sliced bread.

6+ months ago, netbooks are crap.
    Present, netbooks are better than the iPad lmao what next the iPad 2 is better than MacBooks?

Jobs: netbooks are a massive pile of ?meh?
    NO.

The Air has been around for years. it wasn't a netbook then, it's not a netbook now. The objection to the netbook concept is not the physical size; it's the weak components inside of it. They were designed to be cheap, and the components and terrible screens were selected to intentionally make them inferior so as not to steal too many sales from the laptop market. As such, they are very limited in capability. Try getting an Atom and integrated graphics to run Adobe Premiere. Try getting that system to work on a 500mb Photoshop PSD file. Try getting an Atom + Integrated GPU to run 1080p YoutubeHD. Terrible experiences, all of them. hell, most netbooks struggle to a few simple things at the same time. I know: I've had to repair them and have bought 2 as gifts.

Meanwhile, this Air will be as snappy as any MacBook Pro and an order of magnitude more capable graphically than a netbook. They're not even in the same solar system in terms of performance and capability. Spend less time on the dimensions and more time on the capabilities. if they started building 12" PC laptops with Nvidia 320m GPUs and i3's or Core 2 Duos, they won't call those netbooks either. They'll call them "Ultraportable" laptops...as they always have.

/perspective
    Last edited by adrian1480; 10-25-2010 at 02:22 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    NO.

The Air has been around for years. it wasn't a netbook then, it's not a netbook now. The objection to the netbook concept is not the physical size; it's the weak components inside of it. They were designed to be cheap, and the components and terrible screens were selected to intentionally make them inferior so as not to steal too many sales from the laptop market. As such, they are very limited in capability. Try getting an Atom and integrated graphics to run Adobe Premiere. Try getting that system to work on a 500mb Photoshop PSD file. Try getting an Atom + Integrated GPU to run 1080p YoutubeHD. Terrible experiences, all of them. hell, most netbooks struggle to a few simple things at the same time. I know: I've had to repair them and have bought 2 as gifts.

Meanwhile, this Air will be as snappy as any MacBook Pro and an order of magnitude more capable graphically than a netbook. They're not even in the same solar system in terms of performance and capability. Spend less time on the dimensions and more time on the capabilities. if they started building 12" PC laptops with Nvidia 320m GPUs and i3's or Core 2 Duos, they won't call those netbooks either. They'll call them "Ultraportable" laptops...as they always have.

/perspective
    yeah its a notebook sorry.

But I have a Acer Revo 3600 witch is a netbook (no screen).

CPU 1600mhz 1 core 2 threads
    GPU gforce 9400 shared memory
    2gbs of 800mhz ram
    OS Windows 7 (I installed that, It came with Vista crap OS)

It plays 1080p YouTube, mkv hight bitrate in fact everything I have flung at it plays flawless.

But this is due to hardware acceleration built into XBMC, that I use for media (its a media netbook lol)
    Last edited by rocky5; 10-25-2010 at 10:03 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Holiday seller? Jesus. I must have been a deprived child since I never was given $1000 laptops for Christmas.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    Holiday seller? Jesus. I must have been a deprived child since I never was given $1000 laptops for Christmas.
    yup when I was younger (a lot younder ) all I got between me and my two siblings was at most 200 between us on a good year lol
    Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    This is the product Apple put out for all the people complaining about the iPad not having a "full OS" on it. Programs that benefit from a full OS need a full keyboard, more than 256MB RAM, and more than a single core 1Ghz processor to be functional... so enter the 11" Macbook Air to fill this void.
    And fill the void it does.

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    Who said these were going on kid's christmas lists? Adults buy their loved ones (wives, husbands, etc.) things like cars all the time. A computer is far cheaper than that. Hell, an adult would get far more use out of this thing than a snot-nosed teen any day!

That said, when I was a kid, I never had a cell phone either. Now ten years olds (and often younger kids) have cell phones and even smart phones. Times are changing my friend!
    Last edited by sziklassy; 10-25-2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12